Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL Recon HELP??  (Read 1278 times)

Offline evh3685

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Recon HELP??
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
In mid April of this year, I dislocated my knee, tore my MPFL, and tore my Meniscus (All Left Knee). About 2 weeks ago, I did the same thing to my right knee. The OS recommended doing surgery on my left knee first, but I was wondering if anyone has had both knees done at the same time. Also, what is the recovery time to be expected? I have a physical job (Police) and I was wondering how much time I would need to take off work. I can work through the pain, but not on crutches. I can even hide the braces under my pants so no prob there either. Basically, how long till I can walk somewhat comfortably. Thanks for your help!!

Offline Laur03

• Regular Poster
Re: MPFL Recon HELP??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
I did the same thing a little over 2 years ago, but it was just the left knee. I had my left MPFL re-attached to my patella, which had been broken in half when I fell. I didn't tear my meniscus though. With the MPFL, I had a lateral release. Recovery was interesting. I had an immobilizer for 4-6 weeks, and was on crutches for 8-9 weeks. You're definitely going to need time off of work for your recovery, I had 3 months of recovery before going back to work. I had to relearn how to walk and everything, but I also have problems with my right knee which made my recovery a little different from the "norm."

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:17:47 AM »
Evh3685,

I have a 14 year old daughter who had a fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL reconstruction and LR in Feb. 2years prior to that we has seen a pediatric OS who thought she could fix the issues by stapling her growth plates, however there wasn't much growth room left since she was 11 and almost done growing so she gave us little choice but to allow her to do surgery on both knees at the same time. It was originally suppose to be orthoscopic however when she got into the leg there was more damage than anticipated and she had to cut my daughters knees open 2 cuts on each leg about 4-6 inches long. Worse decision we ever made. That evening after we got our daughter home she wasn't able to move, couldn't use the restroom on her own. After finally getting her to the restroom, my husband and I carrying her, we couldn't figure out how to get her off the toilet. She ended up having to use a bed pan for about 4 weeks, pretty embarrassing for a girl just entering puberty to have her mommy helping her go to bathroom but she was in so much pain she got over that real quick. She had to use a wheelchair because she was non weight bearing on both legs, and was completely dependent on anyone around. Needless to say that surgery did absolutely nothing but humiliate her and cause pain and scarring. This past Feb. at the age of 13 her knee caps continue to dislocate, left knee being worse than right our NEW OS decided there wasn't much choice for our daughter but to do this HUGE surgery. However he absolutely refused to do both knees at once. This time we were in a hurry because my daughter is starting her freshmen year of High School and wants to make the softball team. Now with one knee done and out of the way I would never chose to have both knees done at once again. This second surgery, although more invasive, was so easy. She spent 3 days in the hospital, was able to walk around somewhat on her own when we got home. Showered alone, went to the bathroom alone, was completely independent. Just the way she likes it.

My recommendation would DEFINITELY one knee at a time. Our OS will not even consider performing surgery on the right knee until she can do a 1 leg squat on the surgical leg. She is 5 months post op and can run, jump, normal activites but hasn't got the 1 leg squat down yet (Close :))

She was able to weight bear immediately after surgery, she used crutches for about the 1st month. Recovery times are all different I have found. 5 months my daughter has had no pain and has recovered so quickly. She never misses her PT sessions and always did her exercises at home.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline evh3685

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
Thanks for your help! I spoke with my OS again and he said there was no way he would do both knees at the same time. So I have to give him a call when I can take at least 2 weeks off work so that we can schedule the first surgery. Hopefully it won't be too bad. All in all it looks like it will take about 9 months to a year to fully recover from both surgeries having them at seperate times. How much pain was your daughter in? I was told that I would be NWB for at least 2 weeks.

Offline jumpstart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
I had MPFL reconstruction 7 months ago. Maybe I can share a bit of what I went through... first of all, it depends on your doc. There are many schools of thought as far as post-op procedures go. My doctor had me in a straight leg cast for 6 weeks after the surgery. That meant a lot of sleepless nights as well as a bit of pain in the first few days. This was followed by 6 weeks of PT. That involved a lot of work, but something that needed to be done. I was back to work 3 months later (I am  preschool teacher). Now, 7 months later, I can walk, run normally (actually, it is nice not having to worry about my knee popping out) but I still have pain when I try to bend my knee all the way. My PT told me to give it a year...so that is my plan. I do my exercises & at times get a little discouraged, but in due time...I am hopeful for a complete recovery. Hope this info helps. To be honest with you, the recovery time has been a lot longer than I had anticipated. Good luck to you!

Offline Laur03

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Evh3685,

I just had an MPFL reconstruction and scope yesterday. Pain is about 6/10 right now becaue my nerve block is starting to wear off. That's something I would highly recommend to you is the femoral nerve block before surgery. My doc used a donor tendon as my new MPFL. Surgery took about 3.5 hours, but my donor tissue wasn't there when my op started so they ran over and hour late. I am WBAT, but not putting hardly any weight on my leg. I'm wrapped in ACE bandages from mid thigh to mid foot, and am locked at 0 in a ROM brace. Because it's my right leg (and I'm female) the most difficult thing I've encountered so far is going tonthe bathroom. I have to sit sideways in order to go and someone has to be there to pull me up. Stairs are also difficult. If you live alone you are going to need someone to stay with you for at least a few days if not a couple weeks. I would not recommend doing both legs at the same time. It's difficult enough with just one. Also, I'm a caregiver, you said you were a police officer, so it sounds like you are on your feet a lot for work as am I. I was told no work for 3 months.

If you have any questions let me know!! I'd be glad to help!

Lauren