Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Stabilisation  (Read 2406 times)

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Stabilisation
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
So got a phone call today to say that my surgery for Patella Stabilisation is going ahead next week.

I spoke to my surgeon but obviously its better to talk to people who have already experienced it.

How long until you were able to do stairs please? How much pain is there after the op? Did it all have a happy ending for you?

Thanks in advance,

PrincessEssex
http://www.kneeinfo.co.uk/knee-operations/patella-stabilisation/

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
Re: Patella Stabilisation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
It all depends on which surgery you are having.  I had a lateral release and walked from my car to the house when I got back from the hospital.  If you are having a TTT you are going to be laid up for 6 to 8 weeks.
11/29/2010 Lateral Release left knee
1/2011 Cortizone injection left knee
4/1/2011 Lateral Release right knee
5-6/2011 Supartz injection series (5)
12/12/2011 TTT and Lateral Release repair left knee

Offline hinata42691

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
I just had a TTT done on Tuesday. I'm going to be non-weightbearing for about 4 weeks and then probably 2 weeks or so partial-weightbearing. I can do stairs but I have to go up and down them on my butt. I was given oxycodone for the pain but all it really did for me was make me drowsy and dizzy. I switched to just taking 3 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours instead and feel mu h better. I will not lie, a TTT does hurt but it hasn't been as bad as I expected it. The femoral nerve block they gave me really helped although it was not fun when it wore off and my leg woke up... I wouldn't worry too much. The waiting before the surgery was honestly much worse than now. Just take it easy and rest after the surgery. It also helps to prop your foot up on a stool when you go to the bathroom and also lean forward towardss your leg if you can. It's not the most comfortable position but it helps make sure you actually pee into the toilet rather than onto your leg. Good luck with everything!

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »
Oh gosh I did not know there was more than one type! I just know they are cutting and tightening!  ???

It is now going ahead on the 18th July. My worst bit is the anasthetic !Never had one!

Is it just a similar pain to after a severe dislocation? I just really do not know what to expect and I think that is what is scaring me more than anything.

Thanks guys xx

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »
You REALLY should know what is being done to your own body!!

But - regardless....most surgery hurts in the beginning. I won't lie - if you have bone work done then the pain is pretty nasty for the first 24-48 hours BUT you should have proper pain relief and make sure you take it ahead of things getting bad. I had my foot sawn, shaved, plated and pinned. It hurt when I came round, they gave me loads of mega drugs and then the first 48 hours there were bouts of nasty pain but nothing I couldn't deal with. Then gradually pain decreases, but expect to be sore for a while and make sure you take your meds as prescribed. Everyone experiences pain differently and some people have TTTs etc done with minimal pain.

Make sure when you've been done that you elevate above your heart and ice as recommended for swelling. Do lots of ankle pumps to keep the blood moving and try and move about if you can, expect some blood rushes when you put your foot down to the ground. Find out what your protocol will be regards bending the knee and if you are allowed to bend, then try and get this going asap.

good luck. The anaesthetic is a breeze, totally nothing to even worry about. You won't know anything about it.  :)

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline mommyvix30

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
PrincessEssex -
Yea you should find out what exactly they are planning Patella Stabilization could mean a couple of things. I am having a lateral release and bone shaving along with repairs as needed, due to a tilted patella and I have chiromalacia under the knee cap, on Monday July 18th so well be knocked out together LoL...anaestesia is super easy you wont remember anything and if you have a nice anaestesiologist he will even through in a nerve block for you so that after the pain meds wear off you still wont feel the pain for a while. You can ask for one if they don't offer it up front. Have you met with your anaestesiologist yet? If so did he tell you what kind he is going to use? General, Regional, Sprinal? Normally is general or regional but it's always good to know. Also, some people get nausea's after waking up but the doctor can give you medicine through your IV for that as well its called Fhenorgen (not sure on the spelling but I spelled it the way it sounds). Good Luck!
02/2007 - Lft knee pain started
05/2007 - arthoscopy bilateral minscus tear and later release
02/2011 - reoccuring lft knee pain
05/2011 - MRI - shows bone bruising, no tears
06/2011 - Bone Scan Result Normal
07/11/2011 - OS apointment
07/18/2011 - surgery left knee LRR, bone shave, and repair

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
Hi all

Okay I am back home after my operation. I had a "Right patella lateral release and medial reefing with patella realignment". I still do not fully understand what I have had done as every time I ask they speak to me in words such as the above and I do not understand and they seem to get annoyed when I ask too many questions.

Anyone who has had this or something similar - did the physio get you out of bed less than 6 ours after the op to walk quite a far way (to the ward toilet and back again)? I was screaming the ward down I have never known pain like it. It felt like my knee was ripping apart and burning. One of my physios refused to return to me (good) because of how loud and rude I was (i told her she wasn't listening therefore wasn't doing her job) but surely if I am telling them the pain is unbearable they should help me not say "well you're not getting a chair so you need to walk back to the bed at some stage". My blood pressure fell very low in there too so I was in there 6 days as opposed to 2 days but even now at home I am not sure of the protocol. Am I "bed-bound" so to speak? I mean I get up and use my crutches to go to the toilet and I am not allowed to bend for 6 weeks. The physio made me walk up and down 5 stairs once and said I can now do stairs. I am not going to lie I have no intention of doing stairs because I am petrified and I do not see how only one time qualifies me as being able to do stairs. I am quite happy laying here just getting up once every 90 mins for a 5 minute walk. Is this okay? Im also concerned eve with the crutches I cannot lift my foot off the floor yet to walk I have to slide my bad leg forward and then step with my good leg. My surgeon said this is all fine and I will get their in my own time and he is pleased that I am getting up of my own accord etc but the nurses on the ward seemed to think I was being very lazy?
Any advice or answers or experiences would be great.
Thanks in advance :)
xxxx

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
A lateral release is when they cut some connective tissue on the outside of your knee.  Medial reefing is when they tighten the tissues on the inside of your knee.

I had a lateral release done on both knees (one at a time) and I walked from the car to my house within a couple hours of surgery.  One thing you need to remember is that physio's are going to push you past your comfort level.  This is intentional to get you to heal.  If you never push past your comfort zone you will never get better. 

It is concerning that you were screaming and acting rude to the physio.  They are trying to help you and part of that is pushing you out of your comfort zone.  You need to bite your lip and push through the pain.  It will get you much further in your recovery. 

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:03:46 AM »
I am not talking the pain was just out of my comfort zone it was a pain that was so intense I went very giddy and I thought I was going to throw up on the spot. I did apologise to the ward sister but my registrar said that she had no idea why the physio had got e out of bed so quickly let alone doing as much as she made me.
i would love to know how you got your foot off the floor. I stood for nearly an hour today trying to get my foot to lift slightly so I could step. I know i have to push from my hip and I really am trying it just does not seem to be coming together for me and I am getting very frustrated with myself which I know isn't helping.
How long would you say you were on your feet for everyday after the op? Also in 6 weeks when I am allowed to bend it again will it bend reasonably easy or is that going to be another journey like this one? Thanks again in advance its so great for people to advise on here.

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
Also I wonder how comes you were allowed home a couple of hours after surgery I was always told 2 nights from the surgeon and his team  ???

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
It sounds to me like you've had not only a lateral release and medial reefing but also possibly something done to shift the patella by the way they've worded the description.2 nights would be more normal for a TTT or similar.  What incisions do you have? Portals or a larger incision too? Any mention of screws in your leg?! With just a LR and MR I can't see why they'd have you straight leg for 6 weeks. Are you allowed to put weight through the leg? When you ask if you are bed bound, it depends on what you've had done precisely and what your surgeon has told you.

If you don't bend it for 6 weeks then things are going to be pretty stiff when you start. Yes, expect some pain.  :-\  In terms of standing up trying to lift the leg, have you been trying to lift the leg whilst lying down - aka straight leg raises? Quad sets? Are you pumping your ankle loads to keep the blood moving through your leg and pump out swelling? If your quads have shut down then you won't be able to lift the foot up and walk normally - try the lying down quad sets and straight leg raises first.

Lottie

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
.2 nights would be more normal for a TTT or similar

I'm not sure 2 nights is "normal for a TTT"  In the U.S. it is a outpatient or 1 night stay.  Very rare to be a 2 night procedure.  I've has 3 TTT's and never been in the hospital more then 16 to 20 hrs.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Fathead D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
I also agree you likely had more done than a LR and MR.  Sounds like a TTT was done as well.  I only had a LR for my surgeries and my Dr told me to walk on it as soon as I could stand it and to start bending day of surgery. 

One thing to keep in mind is that every Dr has a different recovery protocol.  Listen to your Dr.  They know your specific condition and can make recomendations accordingly.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
Both OSs I've seen in the UK who have looked at TTTs have said it would definitely be a one night stay, possibly two. I know someone who had a TTT done last summer and he was admitted for 2 nights as standard to that hospital. It just sounds more than a LR and MR would require if The OP was told she'd be in for 2 nights straight off....., as Fathead D says, after a LR you're encouraged to be bending and getting about as much as possible. There seems to be every possible protocol available for surgeons after TTT, people seem to have vastly varying plans and recommendations after surgery.

I guess this is one time you really need to ask exactly what has been done, why and what the surgeon wants you to do now you're home. You have to be in control of your own recovery as no one else can do it for you!

Good luck

Lottie

Offline PrincessEssex

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:10 AM »
Well I had the realignment done as well so am presuming my poor little patella has been through the mill poor thing! I have exercises for my feet and bum clenches too! Defo no flexion for 6 weeks and it is immobilized in a full length brace which the knee part has an angle expansion they can adjust it to when they begin to let me bend it. At the moment it is on 0 :(!! My main concern is the not being able to raise it. I was told about the leg raises and have been practising everyday but my leg just feels like a dead weight yet when my Mum holds my foot and raises it for me so that the exercise gets done I have no "extra pain" so do not understand why I cannot lift it of its own accord. My outpatients appt is in 2 weeks so will ask questions then its just he speaks to me so medically and whoosh it goes over my head! Thanks for your continues correspondence it is very much appreciated. Xx