Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unicompartmental knee spacer wearing out  (Read 4105 times)

Offline rickduff

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unicompartmental knee spacer wearing out
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
I had a Oxford phase III, size C partial knee installed in December 2007.
Over all it's been pretty good.
Of late I'm having a ton of locking and popping.
I'm also having a lot of "slipping".  This is where I'm standing or moving and
the leg bones just slide forward, backwards, or slightly to the side when they
should be straight.  It causes a lot of unstableness.  It is not really that painful,
just discomforting, and also a bit dangerous and it throws me off balance.

I'm wondering if the polyethylene component: (anatomical meniscal bearing, medium 3mm)
could be wearing out.

If it is.. my question is:
Is this something that can do damage and I need to see my OS now...
or can I put it off?

I've got a TON of issues with my low back and hip right now.. and the last thing I need is another
knee surgery (I've had 7 so far).. and having added pressure on my damaged hip and back.

Thanks!

Offline rickduff

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Unicompartmental knee spacer wearing out
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
Saw my GP today.  She said this could tear a tendon and I need to see my OS.
I just don't want to have my 8th knee surgery this soon. 
Anyone have an experience like this?
Thanks!

Offline webbiecindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
Hi rickduff, I'll be watching to see if anyone else responds to this. I have a loose implant, not exactly sure if it's the same issue your having. I had a bonescan a few months ago and yes I know it's loose. My orthopaedic doctor is just watching it and I also got a cortisone injection into the knee last week to help with inflammation and pain. I had the Oxford partial knee replacement done back in April of 2006; it's the medial side and also feels like it's trying to move more that way...towards the inside of the knee. I hope that this description makes sense to you. :-[

Offline rickduff

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:43:32 AM »
Hi Cindy,
Thank you for the reply.  Sorry to hear your implant is loose.  I'm really encouraged though to hear your OS is just watching the situation.  Interesting we have the same implant from a similar time in the same place (medial.)
I've got an appt Monday at the VA and will be interested to see what they say.
I had not let them look at my knee since 1992 when they wanted to fuse it.
Does the cortisone help?  I've never had any luck with it.

Offline rickduff

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
Well.. saw the OS.. implant and spacer looks ok. 
Problem is from a previous OATS surgery... the bone donation sight is breaking off fragments that are getting caught up under the knee cap to lock and cause discomfort. 
So ... good news and bad news....
At least the implant is still good and no worries that way.

Offline lgrove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
Hello,
I haven't been to this message board for years, it's been 6 years since I had my knee replaced. I've felt from minute one it was moving around in there. I'm looking around here for information on revisions, I've been in the frame of mind I'll have to crawl into the OS to have a revision done, but the pain is off the charts and the bone scan is Friday, but it's going to have to be fixed before I lose my sanity! OS feels it may be the spacer, we'll see.
What I'm replying to is your hip and lower back problems. Common problems with those who had their knees replaced when I did. 4 of us have had surgeries on our spines after the knee replacements, and I'm in pain management for my hip, since at 51, I'm too young to have my hip replaced. Now 2 years after they first placed me in PM, I'm against having my hip replaced and I'm taking my normal stand on the issue, I'll have to be crawling in there to get that hip replaced. But, following 3 spine surgeries, I'm very happy with how my spine is! One good point. I'm fused from S1-L2 now, can't turn around at the waist much and I've learned to bend from the hip, and I'm good with it. No pain, Sciatica, all gone, so there is hope! I sure hope you get your back and hip resolved to your satisfaction. It's a journey, that's for sure.