Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: just joined, first post. questions galore  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: just joined, first post. questions galore
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
Hey Dianne,

One more thought about the doorway scrapes . . . could you turn the chair around and go in backwards . . . propelling via your good leg?  Worth a try to keep the skin on your knuckles.

Great to have the leg extender -- totally perfect and useful.  I don't know what I would have done without mine.  My foot/ankle would get tired, however, with gravity pulling the toe down.  So I fashioned a way to tie the top part of my foot upward to give the ankle a well-deserved rest.  Typically I'd put a sandal on the foot, so the tie went around the sole of the sandal and didn't push on the skin.  Craziness - the mother of invention.

Good luck and good healing.

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline dcook60

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
hi everyone.  i first posted about my 3-point knee injury on june 13, and haven't posted since june 20.  (accident happened may 22).  it's been 3 months.  i'm back to work, part-time,at age 71, and have a few more questions:

sports rehab has helped me enormously; thankfully, i have medicare coverage, and will likely to able to qualify for an extension for more rehab.  medicare tries to dump off a person after $1800 worth of physical therapy. 

if anyone remembers my first questions, re: wheelchair and how to do this in a small house, etc, now i am pleased to report that i have dumped ALL of my medical equipment.  at one point, there were, in my house, 2 wheelchairs (one transport kind, tiny, for use zipping around kitchen with feet), 3 walkers, one pr. crutches, and a cane.  plus a hinged ankle to mid-thigh brace.

i still can't get along without the brace.  my leg gets very very tired and achey if i do very much without it.  my p.t. wants me to not use it, but i can't stand the pain otherwise.  anyone else have this problem? 

advice wanted here: since i'm going to use a brace at times, i need a smaller one.  there are multitudes of them on the market, with metal or other stiffening in the sides.  i don't need such a huge one anymore, so i was hoping someone could suggest a brand/kind that wouldn't be so enormous and HOT. 

thanks for reading, dianne

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
Hi again, Dianne
Your great progress is outstanding.  Re going without your brace - I have been doing both land and water PT.  The Sports Rehab has a warm lap pool (82 degrees) and a really warm (94 degrees) rehab pool.  I've been in one or the other every day since I began PT.  It's so much easier to move, work on ROM, flexibility and proper gait while much of your weight is supported by the water.  I'm wondering if your pain when without the brace is due to weakness or improper gait.  I really can't say how much the pool has helped me in all those respects and wonder if it might also be good for you. 

Best of luck, happy healing and strengthening.

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
Hi Dianne ~ It's good to hear from you again & I'm glad to know there's been some good progress. As to a brace...are you looking for just a knee brace rather than the longer one you've had? If so, a custom one - like the Townsend Premier I have - is a great brace as it's designed & fitted for your leg. It's expensive but worth it especially if your insurance will cover it. It's the neoprene pull on brace that gets so hot to wear but even with that there's a mesh form that's cooler.

A friend who had to wear a neoprene brace during one summer said he used just to use a plain anti-perspirant rubbed on his leg so the brace wouldn't be sliding all over during the summer heat. He said it worked.

If you're looking for a good place to buy a brace online, try the braceshop.com. When I called to see if I could find something to replace the hot neoprene brace I had, the service rep was extremely knowledgeable & worked with me finding one that would work for me. Wishing you well....Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline aingeal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • sthufferin' sthhuccatttthhhash!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
Idea... can you sit on an office chair without the arms, and use the walls and your good foot to push yourself along the hallway, as it's so narrow? would that be an option to the wheelchair in the space that's too narrow for it? just a thought... and it'd spare your knuckles...

I used my walker with a seat, and sat on it and scooted myself up my hallway, when I spent 2 months not being able to put a bit of weight on my knee when they did microfracture to mine...

when my Grandmother had a car accident and broke her left wrist and right ankle, she lived with her daughter in a house with narrow halls/doors.  Well, G'ma sat in one of the older "typist chairs" without arms and used her good arm, crutch and good foot to maneuver around.  She even had a "designated driver" when my son (her Great Grandson), a 5 year old at the time, helped push her around the house and get drinks, etc for her.

support