Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Might this be EDS?  (Read 5305 times)

Offline sharonm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Might this be EDS?
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »
Hello!

This may be a little long, but I'd appreciate any input!

I am 23 years of age, and am currently recovering from a ttt w/medial reefing & open lateral release on my left knee. I had the same thing done on my right knee about a year ago. The surgery was performed after about 10 years of dislocations and suxbluxing of both kneecaps, physio wasn't successful. The OS said my kneecaps slipped out so much because of my very lax ligaments (I could pretty much pull my knee caps to the sides of my leg when in extension), rotated tibias and high sitting patellas. The PT says I am hypermobile, as I'm flexible pretty much everywhere except my fingers.  I've had other problems with unstable and painful joints, and I've always seemed to bruise like a peach. On a completely unrelated note, an echo I had done yesterday as part of a routine medical. It came back as mitral valve prolapse w/ regurgitation that he said was really nothing to worry about, but I'm a little curious.

When researching the heart condition, I stumbled upon a site for EDS. There is no one that I am related to that I know of that has this syndrome I don't think. Does that rule it out for me? I don't want to bring it up to the Dr if he'll think I'm crazy for suggesting it. Is it common enough that it would have put the picture together when the heart tests came back? I'm probably crazy for even thinking this could be what is causing my joint pain, googling is getting the best of me  :)

Thanks for your help!
Sharon
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:27:07 AM by sharonm »