Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Walking with OA in both knees  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Stonehenge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Walking with OA in both knees
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
Hi all,

Been a long time since I was on here. I have started an exercise programme of walking. I had a couple of really bad years where I was diagnosed with OA in both knees, my hands and my neck (and a bit in my big toe).

I also got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and suffer generally with sleep issues, restless legs, IBS and a few other irritating things! However, I manage most of them really well, don't take anything other than over the counter painkillers and my gel ice / heat pack is my best friend.

Anyway, because I had a particularly rough year with sleep issues, pain and had to use a walking stick for a few months, my weight had piled on and I'm not happy with it. My diet is OK actually, but it's the lack of exercise that had made things worse.

I was swimming every week which was great, but I wanted to start using the hour in the evenings I have free after the kids are in bed and hubby is on the computer to do something productive so I get my MP3 player on and take myself off for a walk.

The first few times I was in agony down my shins, and my one foot going numb, but worked out my footwear was not quite right, lacing up technique etc, and got that sorted.

Anyway, I've been walking now every night for over 5 weeks, but the last week or so I'm having to ice my knee every single night when I get back as I am in a lot of pain. The main area is is you are looking down at your own knees, it's half way down my left knee, inside knee, and it's mega tender, and really sore.

It's been waking me up at night too, and this starts as I get walking and by the time I finish I'm really hurting. I've tried different footwear, slowing down the pace, speeding up the pace, different routes (to avoid unlevel surfaces etc) and nothing seems to help.

Am I doing something wrong, should I get it looked at and have you nice folks got any tips for me?

I'd appreciate it if anyone else has been having the same thing, or same pain, symptoms etc.

Course, with one knee complaining and the other compensating, I am now starting to have issues with my other knee. I work a desk job but am up and down a lot running things about so it's reasonably active.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Walking with OA in both knees
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:26:04 PM »
If it were me, I would reduce the amount of walking for a day or two and see what happens.  If it continues then I would go to the doctor for an opinion.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline teacher ted

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Walking with OA in both knees
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:45:20 AM »
Henge,

I'm only able to walk about every other night, maybe a mile or so, otherwise, the knees get really sore for days as do the shins. I'm able to swim 3 miles per week but I'm not really excited about swimming.

Cycling should be a great way to work the legs and lose weight w/o bearing any weight, depends on your knees though, whether they're too far gone as mine are.

I hope you don't whine as much to sig others as I do. ;D