Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee revision ?  (Read 699 times)

Offline supereds1958

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee revision ?
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
 Hi All
         Im new here so bear with me i had my right knee replaced 11 years ago aged 42,every thing has been fine with my knee up to 6 weeks ago.When i felt a snapping sensation in the back of my knee followed by severe pain and swelling.Then the knee gave way when i was stepping down a step outside my house luckly i held on to the door.I went to my consultant had X-rays and he examined me he asked another consultant to examine me,they both agreed that the lining in my joint has worn away .I am awaiting bone scan and blood tests results,just wondered have any of you have anything like this is the revision recovery any quicker than the TKR recovery.Hope i made some sort of sense in this message but im in a lot of pain,sorry about any spelling mistakes.
                                                   cheers   supereds

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: knee revision ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »
I have no experience with this but am looking at a replacement in the near future so I have been reading about tkr and revisions. In a revison when the bone is worn away sometimes they have to do a bone graft, which is where they take bone from another place and put it over the worn bone, or use a cadaver bone. The bone is already cut from the origial tkr so there is less to be done as far as that goes. Not sure about recovery but I would think it would be simular to the tkr you had. It depends on the extent of damage to your bone under the implant on how extensive the surgery will be.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

support