Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sharp pain - medial, just below knee  (Read 3662 times)

Offline klinkmcbear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sharp pain - medial, just below knee
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
Hi,

I am about 9 1/2 weeks out from a partial menisectomy and arthroscopic clean up of some very damaged cartilage. I feel like my progress has slowed down to the point where I am not going to see too much more improvement, and what I am seeing at this point has become very gradual. I can walk fine, but sometimes lateral movement, or squatting on one leg gives a quick extremely sharp pain on the medial side, a little below the knee. The worst is if I try a one legged squat, or try to descend a tall step with my bad knee on the top step. It is very intermittent, but when it happens, it is quite intense. It feels like it is the same location and type of pain as pre-surgery, but it is a little worse than it was. There is no pain when I push in the area where it hurts, and I don't see any swelling. It isn't tender at all - just intense quick pain with certain motions. It kind of reminds me of the sciatic pain that I exerienced during one of my pregnancies - very brief, but could actually take me down.

I saw my OS last week, and he was kind of stumped. Said it seemed to be coming from the area near the pes, but no swelling or pain to touch or pressure. It is definitely below the joint, but he said it could be referred pain. He debated between a cortisone injection at the site, and beginning the synovial fluid shots. He decided he would do the cortisone injected right at the site of the pain. He felt that if that took the pain away, it would rule out the pain coming from the joint. I only had the shot a few days ago, and he said to take it very easy at least for a week, so I haven't tested it at all. There have definitely been some incidents of pain, but nothing too bad, since I am staying away from the things that really fire it up.

Just a little more info, that might be relative or not....I did ski into a tree about 25 years ago and was in a knee immobilizer and crutches for 6 weeks due to a sprained MCL. That is so long ago, but I didn't want to leave it out in case it had any bearing in this. I have had this sharp pain probably for about 3 years, and I thought it was due to the torn meniscus. Since the tear has been clipped back, and the pain is still there, I think there is more to it. In the few years prior to the surgery, every now and then I would do something that would really increase the pain, I would take it easy and limp around for a few weeks, until it felt better. The pain does seem to subside when I stay away from all the activities that I love to do.....running, tennis, racketball, etc. But as soon as I get back to to those activities, it's right back again. During my surgery, they discovered grade 3 and 4 chondromalacia on every surface  - and I was told that a knee replacement is definitely in my future. 

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? thanks so much for any help you can offer.

kathleen

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:53:25 PM by klinkmcbear »
Left knee - partial menisectomy & debridement - 3/2011
PRP left knee - 1/2019
PRP and Stem Cells right knee - 1/2019

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Sharp pain - medial, just below knee
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
If you have Grade 3-4 cartilage loss you may well have an area that is getting "loaded" under certain angles. I have a smallish Grade 4 defect on my medial condyle. I get pain very similar to that you describe on certain activities - coming off a steep step onto that knee at a certain angle, walking forwards and taking load at a certain angle, pivoting at certain angles...falling into a ditch at certain angles.....there is a sharp, intense, ouch deep take your breath away pain when it takes the load. I've had to modify how I do certain things as I'm not willing to have surgery. Might be worth asking your surgeon exactly where the deeper defects are for you, if you have one in that area it could be the cause...if you've got missing meniscus too then the area is doubly not protected. A clean up will only do so much, you can't clean up Grade 4 very much.  :-\

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline klinkmcbear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:05:37 AM »
HI Lottie - thanks for your reply. The pain does sound similar to yours. The location is near one of the grade 4 areas, but the thing that is puzzling is that the pain is not right at the joint itself. It's an inch or 2 below. Is this the same for you, or is the sharp pain right at the joint? The fact that the location is away from the joint made the OS think that it might be originating someplace other than the knee joint.

What does your doctor say about your sharp pain? When you say you are avoiding surgery - is that surgery TKR?

Thanks for your help,
kathleen

LK partial menisectomy/debridement - 3/2011
Left knee - partial menisectomy & debridement - 3/2011
PRP left knee - 1/2019
PRP and Stem Cells right knee - 1/2019

Offline investor54

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »
Kathleen,
Seven (7) months go, my OS performed a right knee "Posterior 1st Horn Medial Meniscectomy" and "Microfracture Chondroplasty Femoral Condyle" soley based upon the MRI Report.
The reason for seeing the OS in the first place was for pain coming from the FRONT about 1.5" to the left of the knee cap and about 2.5" below the joint line on the tibial plateau when ascending a step. The operation failed to correct this problem.
I've seen three more Orthopedic Surgeons to date and their opinions range from 1) a partial knee replacement.  2) wait a total of 12 months after Microfracture then reassess. 3) three shots of Orthovisc 4) a steroid shot in the anserine bursa area. 5) "I don't know".
MY TWO CONCLUSIONS with research using kneeguru.com and my PT guy:
1) Anserinus Tendonitis - swelling and pain from one or more of the three tendons attached to the tibia caused by knee osteoarthritus, local trauma or overuse, And / Or
2) Mild Edema in the Medial Tibial Plateau (from both pre & post surgery MRI Reports). This is a bone bruise which can take a year to heal with minimal weight bearing.
Good luck and I hope sharing my stuff might be of some help.