Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial knee replacement  (Read 1337 times)

Offline brian518

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial knee replacement
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
after waiting for osteochondral allograft(fresh) going on 13 months, dr. and i are discussing pkr as i cant stand pain anymore, especially working in construction field,keeping up with a 7yr. old,and living in a cape style house as stairs are my nemisis. info about me 41 yrs. to young for full replacement wich i need!!!! after tearing up my knee,had cartlidge clean out,none left, have tried injections(worthless)! just looking for some feedback and advice. recovery time?pain? would appreciate any responses it has been over a year since i posted here,you are all very helpful............KIM and HOPELESS ARE YOU OUT THERE?
        thank you
        brian

Offline muscle20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Partial knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
i also discussed the partial as i have grade 4 medial wear, but my surgeon was not that keen on them , mainly i think that they can make tkr much more difficult at a later stage.these do seem very rare and you dont seem to find many people who have had it done.i beleive recovery time is far quicker than tkr.

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
Hey Brain, Nice to meet you.   Heard your looking at the PKR..  Well i had my first dec. 2010,  after 4 months of intensive therapy, i consider myself not too bad 8 months now post surgery.   i too am 40 years old. worked heavy lifting job for 20 years then had an accident that traumatically tore off cartildge to my knee. os knew i needed partial replacement from the start....  anyway it is going o.k. kinda slower than i though. stairs r better with pkr, but kneeling a problem.     

now, after compensating for over a year on right knee, up and down a colonial ( i know what you are going thru..... stairs totally suck)  the other knee has broken down.  PKR for other knee soon just waiting on worker's comp.  to approve.  i can tell you that constant bone pain has left me with the partial knee replacement,  but everyone heals differently.   

hope this helps and good luck :)

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:25 AM »
ooooppps my mistake Brian not Brain..... hahahah

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:54 AM »
I had a cartilage replacement that did not work last year, so i am still struggling with this knee. They wont even talk about a knee replacement with me. The reason being they only last 10 to 15 years then you have to do it all over again, I dont know i am willing to wait. I am wearing a unloader brace that really works, and for some reason i have noticed a huge difference taking glucosomine with msm the pure kind. Honestly its the best my knees have felt in a very long time. I am so sorry that everyone is suffering so bad with there knees, doesnt seem fair.   Kim :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »
It  is difficult to deal with increasing pain of knee injuries, especially if one is working in a job that menas a lot of walking, brnding, climbing and standing on their feet. Been there years ago.  Since the rule of thumb is that total knee replacenents last only 10 to 15 years, regardless of the television ads saying lab tested for 25 years (maybe on mice, but not people), and the primary surgery and first revision if needed require cutting good bone stock there can be diminishing chances of sucessful revisions after the first one.  Also the literature says that patient satisfaction even for the first revision surgery is much lower than for the primary replacement most surgeons try to wait until the patient is close to 60 years old or at least mid 50's before doing  a primary total knee.  The reasearchers are finding that with a more active life style artificial knees are lasting under ten, with many patients having revisions within their first year for a number of reasons, see posts here under knee replacement.
That said unless injections work and sometimes they do, the best way I know of trying to buy time before the first replacement is with pain management.  That scares a lot of people, but if properly monitored, and if not overused pain management can increase quality of life and mobility for quite a long time.  It does not fix the knee but only eases the pain so eventually surgery is the final option.  In my case I was able to but three or four years of time on pain management before my first knee replacement at age 56, I was pretty young and regret it but at that time even with medication I could not walk and had to go on disability.  If I had not bought those years lord knows how much worse off I would have been today, Those who are in really bad pain  which alters their lifestyle and are still rather young might explore the benefits of seeing a pain management physician on a regular basis.  There is one thing I also think about and wish a medical anthropologist would do a study on, how people with chronic knee pain coped and handled it before the knee replacement surgery came to be such a fad.  This country and europe fought two world was, a war in Korea and Vietnam, built a large industrial structure of roads, and factories with men and women on their feet way before the first knee replacement.  How did our parents and grandparents handle it.  I wonder if we are just quitting too soon, forgetting about ice, and slowing down a little, getting more excercise earlier in life, and are just running for life altering knee replacement surgery as a quick fix.  In some people it is a good fix, but more and more people are reporting major problems with total knee replacements going bad.  It is one thng to recall car for bad parts but when major manufactures recall artificial knees for defects it further alters the life of the patient.
 If I could go back 11 years I would NEVER had the first surgery done, but that is just my rant and maybe something for people to think about. Knee replacement surgery is big business for hospitals, surgeons and medical equipment manufacturers.  When doctors run free seminars at hotel banquet rooms with dinner and drinks to get people to attend seminars ptiching the wonders of knee replacement surgery is that any different than the idea of an ambulance chasing lawyer handing out business cards in a Hospital  emergency room.
I am sure thousands of surgeons would like to take me to task for this but while these surgeries may do some good and be really needed in some cases I get the idea that they are being done much too ofter and seem to be the first choice of many surgeons.  Never forget that surgerns make their living and pay of hundred thousand dollar student loans by doing surgeryu, there is no money in just office visits.  How did we get by before knee replacements, it is just a questioin I do not have the answer for.

support