Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Usman5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:07 AM »
Hi, I tore my ACL back in September 2010, and had minor surgery done (Arthroscopy).  If I opt for ACL reconstruction, for example during the last week of May, how long will it take for me to get back to moderate walking and lifting/moving tables, chairs, desks etc. I can't reach my doctor because he is too busy and I don't want to book an appointment, because it will take quite a while. My knee is fairly strong by now, but it buckles sometimes while I play softball.

Thanks.

Offline keane16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
varies from person to person,  i had a friend back at work (teacher) 4 weeks after his ACLr and another (security guard) took about 3 months.  i wouldnt go off anything other than a professionaly diagnosed opinion.

Offline Poppyz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Hi, I had ACL reconstruction on April 9th, am going back to work on Wednesday, so that's a little under 3 weeks. To be honest I could have made it in last week  :P but was enjoying the rest! My recon was very straightforward, and although I have plenty of swelling still on the knee plus some hamstring pain, I can walk pretty normally. Pushed a trolley round Tescos this morning quite happily.

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
It took my son a little longer to get back into the swing of things. 10-12 weeks post op we saw a turning point but at 15 weeks he is still being ultra cautious and limping a bit.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline Usman5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:56 AM »
@Poppyz: When did you have your injury? I'm guessing since I had my injury way back in September, my post-op should be easier than others?

Offline Poppyz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »
Hi, I tore my acl back in June last year, so nearly 12 months between injury and surgery. Have made an 'amazing' recovery (surgeon's words!). Now back in the gym (7 weeks post op), biking and cross trainer plus matwork, putting the resistance up today!

Offline htrumbower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
I agree it varies from person to person.
It took me about 2-3 months to get reasonable strength back.
I was walking a reasonable amount by 6 weeks.
(I am a mid-40s woman, fairly fit).

Personally I am having a much bigger challenge regaining range of motion.
I had an MUA 9 weeks after surgery, and I am back to using the CPM all day and all night for 2 weeks.

I have heard it is good to have the surgery within a year of injury.

Softball sounds a little risky to me.
I am fortunate that my sport is swimming.

Is it your knee that has gotten stronger, or your quad/hamstring/calf that have gotten stronger to support your knee?

Offline Usman5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »
It's actually my quad that has gotten stronger
However, over the past couple of weeks, I am starting to have SEVERE knee pain. It happens after a day of school, somewhere around 6-7pm. BOTH of my knees start hurting quite badly. Ice doesn't work, and I hate taking painkillers. I've tried creams, such as A5-35, doesn't work. The pain occurs EVERYDAY. If I go to the doctor, the only thing he's going to tell me is to rest it. So any suggestions on what to do to relieve the pain? Could it be arthritis? By the way, I'm 17 years old...

Offline Darklogic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • ...impossible is nothing...
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:26:58 PM »
I had ACLr July 2010 - nearly 2 and half years after tearing it. I initially had the arthroscopy in Feb '10 but decided to opt for the reconstruction as I wanted to get back into physical activity.

My Physiotherapy hasnt been going to well...as I didnt take it serious enough...I cannot stress enough how important Physio is post-op...

Please listen to your doctor and take it slow...please dont risk re-injuring the knee and being left in a situation where further reconstruction wont help...you are still young and growing so eat well, take it slowly, and REST!!! and let your body heal it self...

Peace 'n' Progression

support