Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Starting PRP Treatment  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Allscarredup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Starting PRP Treatment
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
Hey guys,

Quick background: Premier level rugby player, grade 3/4 chondromalacia, fissuring/cracking in articular cartilage in patella and femur, ACL reconstruction (right knee,) Chondroplasty (right knee,) and poor alignment and high Q angle due to valgus anatomy on both legs (I got that manly hourglass figure...)

Started PRP today. Doc says most of the cost is to order and staff the kit used, so it's more economical to do both knees at once. $500 for one knee. $625 for both. So the kit was $375, and each knee's associated costs were $125.

My pain is very sharp, very sudden, very strong, and creates buckling in the knee. I am currently unable to lift weights, sprint from a standing start, or do any heavily loaded tasks. My quad has atrophied and I can no longer play sports. My doctor is the team physician for at least two pro sports teams and is lecturing to other leading physicians about this treatment currently. However, all physicians seem to be behind the curve, or, the curve is very slow in general. He was very skeptical until recently when that Italian study came out. I am his second experiment and the first is doing quite well with much more widespread Grade 3 changes in the knee. Doc said same symptoms and severity as me on the first case.

I had NO pain on the first day after the injections. Of course, the needles suck. And they had to dig around in me three times before my vein obliged. Five needle pokes in all. But if you can get past that, no big deal. And I've been walking around fine all today. So I essentially feel that my knee is a bit goopy, but otherwise I can forget it happened and wait for results.

I will let you know and answer any questions.

-N

Offline Allscarredup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Starting PRP Treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Second day afterward. Feel a LITTLE sore when I move certain ways.

Don't want to test knee. When is okay to test? Will using the knee heavily rub out any healing?
Questions...

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:04 PM »
My doc said no major stress on knee for at least a week. In fact I had to use crutches for 4 days just to get around. "your mileage may vary"
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Allscarredup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
It feels better. Just a bit better. Again, not testing it. But jogging feels better and it feels inflamed/healingish.

Could be placebo/wishful thinking.

Offline helenhelen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
please keep us posted periodically about your progress. i am curious to learn more about this procedure. my doc doesn't trust it yet because there have been no conclusive studies. which italian study are you referring to?

Offline Ivy973

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:26 AM »
Very interesting -- thanks for posting!  I am also curious -- what Italian study...?
Pain onset: 2008
Pain areas: bilateral hips, knees, ankles, toes
Regenerative therapies: prolo, PRP, stem cells

Offline Allscarredup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:57 AM »
Here's a link that mentions it. http://huntsvilleprp.wordpress.com/tag/rizzoli-institute/

I felt good enough to play in a game about a week and a half later. Afterwards, I feel the same as I did before the treatment. I looked up recovery time for a meniscal tear that is on the vascular outer portion of the meniscus, i.e. cartilage that heals from blood, and it was about 8-12 weeks. Ripped that stuff right up....

Going in for another shot in a week.

Offline Ivy973

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 02:44:28 AM »
Thanks so much!  Not happy abput this part:

"The statistical results showed steady improvement up to 6 months following treatment. The results at the 12 month follow-up were worse, although higher than the basal level."   Wonder if thats why prp treatments feel good for a short time but are not a long term "cure"...

Yeah, you have to treat your knee gently for a few  weeks following prp...  no high impact stuff!

Here's a link that mentions it. http://huntsvilleprp.wordpress.com/tag/rizzoli-institute/

I felt good enough to play in a game about a week and a half later. Afterwards, I feel the same as I did before the treatment. I looked up recovery time for a meniscal tear that is on the vascular outer portion of the meniscus, i.e. cartilage that heals from blood, and it was about 8-12 weeks. Ripped that stuff right up....

Going in for another shot in a week.
Pain onset: 2008
Pain areas: bilateral hips, knees, ankles, toes
Regenerative therapies: prolo, PRP, stem cells

Offline Allscarredup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Had second round of shots. Now 2 in each knee, but feel I'm starting over as I went straight back into heavy impact following the first round.

Knees feel squishy and like there are a bunch of soft scabs inside the joints. I've been babying them heavily hoping not to knock anything around.

Will see if bodyweight squats become painless like they did last time. If so, I'll go ahead and do a third round, keep babying everything, and then try some light weight training.