Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MicroFracture Healing--Showing Horses  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Mocha1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MicroFracture Healing--Showing Horses
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
I shown for years at large circuits, have won a lot, and qualified in three events at the World show.  MRI showed arther....woke up with micro fracture--tibia...at age 66 (excellent rider ) but 8 wks NO WEIGHt on knee, crutches/wheel chair!!!!!  I raise horses, have mares/babies.....huge depression dive --as readings telling me 4-6 months-- to 1 + YEARS.  I have a world class horse, trainer and was on zenith of my show career.  Bursting into tears several times a day.... Husband is helpful... But only token encouragement. I am just one week post surgery. The KEY to healing is NON WEIGHT BEARING.....the procedures has no real guarantees.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: MicroFracture Healing--Showing Horses
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
Unexpected surgical procedures are the hardest to deal with - but 8 weeks will FLY by, it is a short time in reality and you're already 1 week though it. I had foot surgery 9 weeks ago this week and it seems like yesterday - I was so anxious about not driving for 5 weeks and in honesty, that went so fast! Do have Physio to help you keep active and the leg strong whilst not WB? Yes MFX has no guarantees but it is a chance to help your tibia reform some covering and that has to be better than artificial parts at this time of your life? Stay smiling when you can, we have all been through the frustrations of changed activity but see this as a chance to help you keep riding for longer - and think how strong that upper body will get from crutching around...and keep the foot and ankle strong and pumping (lots of ankle pumps and toe wiggling) and when you can start the quads firing with quad sets and straight leg raises - you'll get through this. Being fit and strong is a big plus to helping this surgery work.

Lottie :-))
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Mocha1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
THKS...was wonderful to hear encouraging words.  How is your ankle!! At least I can drive..carefully!!  You sound pretty knowledgeable..... med background????

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »
Nope, no med background but two prematurely aged kneecaps and a fused big toe after that also wore out at the ripe age of 42! I've done a lot of PT and training and gym work, so you pick information up.  :D

My foot is doing OK, I have a lot of hardware in my big toe and have had some complications with nerves and things so I'm on a nasty cocktail of neuropathic medicines and stuff. But I'm walking better each week, back to spinning at the gym and general life activity. Still swollen, and the scar and areas of my big toe are overly sensitive so I spend many hours rubbing them on carpet (ouch), with materials, with my nails (like my surgeon did at my last review!) to help them get the right signals going. Its been a LONG haul and is a LONG road ahead, but I was in pain all the time with walking before and I'm very active. So, I had no choice.

You'll be back riding before you know it. Use this time to do all the things you never got round to when you're on your feet. Write a blog, write a story, organise photos on line, make some Xmas cards (be prepared!!), stay smiling...

Hugs xxx

PS Read my blog if you're really bored! :P   www.onionsbegone.wordpress.com   
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support