Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee sprain with joint effusion and bone edema- still swollen and cant bend  (Read 2341 times)

Offline spblax

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee sprain with joint effusion and bone edema - still swollen and cant bend after 2 months (had cortisone and PT)

i was playing soccer at defending position when i fell towards my left side when heading the ball while keeping my left foot on the ground. the ground was uneven and all my body weight was bent at my left knee. i felt a jerk (not actually a popping sound...) and pain was huge. after 2, 3 minutes i stood up and investigate the knee by giving it some pressure with hand inward and i felt buckling. little swelling was developing with considerable pain. and when i was changing at wash room after 15mins later, when i change clothes i couldn't give weight to the knee bcoz i felt it was buckling and i fell again.i was so afraid and immediately went to the general hospital...they got an xray and adivesd to get an MRI and consult a OS immediately. they gave some pain killers...!

after a week i consulted an OS and MRI was taken..in the MRI it was reported as NO LIGAMENT Damages, NO meniscus or NO cartilage damage. "only a BONE BRUISE AND JOINT EFFUSION". so OS told me to put a knee guard and REST and gave some medicine. after 4 weeks swelling was went down but i couldn't bend my knee fully (cant kneel down so as my toe touches butt) when i try that it gives immense pain. i can do normal activities as before except that bending thing.

then OS gave me 1 CORTISONE injection and sent me to follow up a PT course (with ultra sound and IFT with massage) which i did in last 2 weeks. now after 2 months of the injury, it is swollen moderately again and ROM is became much worse and painful...no development in kneeling down as pain is immense...! i dont have any previous injuries or arthritis.

so as i read in kneeguru this not even a MCL sprain or meniscus tear ...so it has to be heal by now isn't it??? im so worried becoz of this and i want know whats happening to my knee and when i will be able to fully recover...! please reply..!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Bone bruises are nasty, can easily take 3--6 months to heal and indeed, up to a year.  Can leave the joint very tender, especially if in a weight bearing part of the knee, or that is against the ground hen kneeling. Taking anti-inflammatories, ice and rest is the best thing to do

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline spblax

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
thanx for replying soon..

does this bone bruise thing has anything to do with bending problem?? if so i wont be able to play at least over a year isnt it??

i was advised to do my all the normal activities..i normally used to run/jog for 30 minutes a day..after the injury i did not do that..but my OS and PT advised me to do jogging also..will ruining as i was used to do before the injury, would make this worse (it is good if can run unless i can play soccer for such a long time)

confused here

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Spblax,

Sorry, I have no advice for you, but you may get more responses if you post this in the general knee discussions(for new threads).  You may not get a lot of feed back in this section, as it is mainly for older threads.  Repost there, and see what happens!!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014