Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 stage multiligament acl and mcl reconstruction  (Read 613 times)

ese230167

1 stage multiligament acl and mcl reconstruction
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »
I've ruptured ACL, MCL and PCL (and torn meniscus). I'm waiting for MCL to stabilise in order to proceed with ACL reconstruction. I am 6 weeks post injury and whilst I've obtained full ROM and good muscle bulk the MCL is not tightening. I want to get on with the surgery so that I can start the proper healing process. I have heard it is relatively common to do a single-stage ACL and MCL recon but my surgeon wants to wait longer! Any advice?

Offline lewis_davey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 1 stage multiligament acl and mcl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »
I had pretty much exactly same injury last year, minus full tear in PCL. Had full ACL and MCL reconstruction in October, so just over 6 months into rehab. After initial injury and swelling i got full ROM and did some light leg work in gym before op. Definately worth doing as it has made rehab a lot easier. Last time I saw surgeon he said im about 3 months ahead of schedule. ACL is doing great, but there is still laxity in MCL. Im always worried about this as I want to get back to playing rugby, but surgeon said thousands of people have laxity in MCL. Also they are really hard to tighten up. Although exercices like leg extensions are definately working in building up quad around the knee. My advice is try not to get too hung up on MCL laxity, with pre op gym work and good rehab it will help tighten it, just it will never go back to the way it was!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Lewis

support