Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Nail Patella Syndrome  (Read 1087 times)

Offline tilda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Nail Patella Syndrome
« on: November 14, 2003, 12:24:23 PM »
I have NPS and have passed it on to my daughter.  When I was 11 I had a modified Goldthwaite procedure to stabalise my patella which were dislocating at 15 degrees and giving way several times a day.  The surgery was incredibly painful, I was in hospital for 4 weeks and the recovery/physio period was at least 6 months.  (I'm 36 now so my memory is a little hazy)

My 5 year old daughter has started to complain of pain and tells me that her knees bend when she doesn't want them too.  I've just seen an Ortho guy (in Singapore where I'm currently living) and he tells me that he would recomend a Roux Goldthwaite procedure.  I'm a little bit perturbed that the examination lasted 5 minutes at most whereas I saw everyman and his dog over a period of a year before a decision was taken as to my surgical options.  We are scheduled for MRIs next week but they seem to be part of the procedure rather than a diagnostic tool.

I am told to expect a hospital stay of a couple of days, casting for 6-8 weeks and physio for a similar period.  He tells me that her age is the reason for the (what seems to me) short period of recovery.

Any advice as to how to make this incredibly painful decision would be greatfully received.  I will be in the UK over the Christmas period and would welcome the names of a solid Pediatric Ortho with whom I can get a 2nd opinion.

thanks

Offline rawsushi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Nail Patella Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 05:17:08 AM »
How'd this work out?

Having NPS myself ... i wonder if you've seen any of the other resources that now exist for NPS.

Rawsushi
Carpe Diem

support