Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: chances returning towork  (Read 708 times)

Offline pims69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
chances returning towork
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
42 yr physical fit male, work injury to r knee third time.  having aci o rtkr done, wondering what thchances are of returning to profession very demanding physically in the near future.  just looking for any input if anyone has been in situation, have heard from lots that aci is temporary fix?  all my activities have been majorly effected.  amazing what we take for granted, very difficult to simply get up from sitting.

Offline rockchalkhawk00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: chances returning towork
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
Hello,

I was a 16 year employee/manager for a large retail pharmacy.  I had an employee hit me from behind (joke, she was 74 years old) and it completely changed my life.  The job was 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week during non-holidays and more during the holidays.  I had played tennis, hockey, practiced martial arts and was a father of 2 young children (28 years old)...I had never been significantly injured, never even had stitches (only one on my hockey team!), I was in excellent shape.  My knee hurt after the accident, so I went to my doc, who then referred me to an ortho, after which I fell down the rabbit hole of surgeries.  I want to tell you everything will be ok, but you need to be pragmatic, especially if you have dependents, as I was not and paid dearly for my lack of foresight. After my first surgery (Microfracture or MFX for short), I was back to work in 3 months, full time no restrictions, but I noticed that I could not fully return to my regular sports, work took it all out of me, which was never the case before.  The pain never entirely left and though a cliche, it (the daily chronic pain) changed me in every way possible, from work performance, home activities and leisure time.  Then I had another surgery, then another, etc and after every rehab my doc said I could return with no restrictions.  I did not do the research, nor did I think it could happen to me, but eventually the cartilage damage grew so large and deep that my current ortho told me there was nothing he was comfortable doing, since I kept wearing it down at work (the work he cleared me for, every time, mind you).  I finally pushed my insurance, which they then deferred to work comp to find a doctor who would work on my knee, but, he was absolutely upfront with me and told me that whatever I was doing to get to this place (work, sports, etc) had to change...no matter if I had a carticel (ACI) or a partial replacement...he simply would not keep "enabling" me if I kept it up.  I am now 6 months out from the ACI surgery and it has completely sucked (especially the 3 day hospital stay), but I can see the potential of this surgery, I know I will never be able to work a physically demanding job in the near term, or even the long term if I want to avoid the operating table again in the next 7 years.  I recently read an article about Dara Torres, the swimmer, who is 18 months out and I think she does a good job putting it in perspective....

http://swimming.teamusa.org/news/2011/02/21/torres-qualifies-for-2012-trials/41063

Here is a quote from her to put things into perspective and an excellent warning as I like to "push it"

"It definitely tested my patience (to sit out 16 months)," Torres said. "This was the first surgery where I actually had to listen to the doctor. I mean, you're always supposed to listen to the doctor, but you always kind of push the limits a little bit. But this time I couldn't because it takes about nine months to a year for the cartilage to harden, and if it doesn't, and it falls off, you're basically starting all over again."  (that would completely suck to do that again!)

Remember she is not only a professional athlete, but a swimmer, which is a lesser evil when it comes to impact on your knee...

Justin
2006 - Lateral Release, MFX (Troc Groove), Debridement (Left)
2007 - Lateral Release, Debridement (Right)
2008 - Scope for arthrofibrosis, Debridement (L)
2009 - MFX (Troc Groove), Lateral Release, plica cleanout (L)
2010 - Autologous chondrocyte implantation (L)

Offline pims69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: chances returning towork
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:12:56 PM »
thanks for the comments a few weeks ago...............work comp is slooooooooowwwwwww.  these drs. now want to do osteotomy with cartilage implaant 8-12 wks after.  work says i still have a job, they cant fire me......but if i go back they could say cut backs and let me go.  my knee will never be the same, or be able to handle the work load i have to give it.  i am now recieving social security paperwork for disability(how they find out?).  6 months post failed micro/debridement etc.  it has now began affecting my back and hips.  I am rehab now for possible back problems assciated with knee, I have to compensate my walk to take pressure off knee.  thx for input