Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Allograft or Autograft?  (Read 742 times)

Offline DRTMaverick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Allograft or Autograft?
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
Please, before you just tell me to search, please understand, I'm a very active person, I'm 25, and this is my life ahead of me.  I may not be a major sports player, but I'm an outdoor enthusiast who's live revolves around the outdoors.

I've done the searches, and I've seen a lot of things saying autografts are better than allografts, however most things are dating back to around 2008/2009, I was wondering if things have changed in the apst 2-3 years, and I need some help really being suggested on what to do, this is my life ahead of me.  I'm really nervous and I'm leaning toward autograft, however the doctor I am going through, when using cadaver doesn't use the cadaver patellar ligament, but rather the achilles.  I will ask him about failure rates with younger people, but he says previously he preferred auto, but now is doing more allografts.  Does anyone have any ideas of why this is? 

My pre-op is on the 16th.  Please, any help is welcome.

Offline DRTMaverick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL Allograft or Autograft?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
Any thoughts?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: ACL Allograft or Autograft?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Nobody here can answer this for you - you do your research (and there is plenty on the site let alone others) and youi ask your doctor. If you are not happy with the answers you get you cancel and look for someone who gives you answer you are happy with.

There is a very good search function on this site - try using it!  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support