Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Exploratory Knee Surgery?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline CFS91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Exploratory Knee Surgery?
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:25 AM »
Hi everyone :)
I haven't been able to bend my knee past 90 degrees (using muscles, standing up) and 125 degrees (muscles relaxed, lying on back) for almost a year now. It doesn't hurt all the time, just with a deep squat and an extremely tight feeling when trying to bend further than mentioned above ^

I've done a few months of physiotherapy which was based around strengthening my quads, targeting the VMO and stretching the ITB. And before I injured my knee I was doing a lot of strength training anyway. Then my physiotherapist referred me to an OS who ordered xrays of both knees and an MRI, they both came back fine. He sent me to another OS for a second opinion and he (OS#2) has given me the option of exploratory surgery.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same kind of situation and any outcomes/finds with ES?

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
Re: Exploratory Knee Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
Just my opinion- do NOT let anybody cut you just so they can have a look around. Surgery = scar tissue, even if it's well done. Try another OS.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Does the OS have any idea of what might be going on?  IF you do have this, make sure you are very clear on what you are prepared to have done...too many people have woken up having had work done that they would not necessarily agreed to if they had known (such as microfracture or a lateral release) and end up worse after surgery than before!  Even arthroscopic surgery is traumatic to the joint and can take months to recover from even if nothing / simple stuff is done

Have you tried something non invasive like IMS to treat tight / problematic muscles?  Does your physio know what might be going on?  How did you injure your knee?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline CFS91

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
What I think happened was while doing knee hits in kickboxing I hit on a strange angle, felt a sharp pain, but ignored it and kept going. Then a couple of days later I squatted to pick my dog up and felt an extremely sharp pain and heard a crackling noise. The pain seemed to go all the way through the quad/patellar tendon. And that is when I realised I couldn't bend my knee. Since then there has been the occasional forgetful moment where I bend too far and get the same kind of pain.

My physio said it could be my VMO partially torn off my quads tendon, which is making the other muscles become tight, which is then causing patella mal-tracking.
My OS said it could be some kind of soft tissue (or did he say scar tissue??) which is preventing movement, or something else that the MRI missed.

My physio has done some deep tissue massages over the ITB and quads tendon area, some kind of ultra sound thing over the tendon and EMS with a heating pad.
OS said that they'd put me under general anaesthetic and then see what kind of movement they can get out of my knee before surgery.

I've never heard of IMS before  ??? But from what I've read it's for people with chronic pain?