Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: elmslie trillat ?!  (Read 1124 times)

Offline katttte !

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
elmslie trillat ?!
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
hi !
okay , so im a 13 year old girl, 5'8'', roughly 125 lbs, played INTENSE volleyball since 3rd grade (im in 7th now).i have a history of being knock-knee-ed, and i have floating knee cap syndrome.  i was diagnosed with patella femoral pain syndrome in both knees back in december and went to a PT without good results. my pain actually got worse . i was referred to the OS and PT that im at now and i was on the right track back to playing full throttle again. last weekend at a volleyball tournament, i had both knees taped up and wasnt worrying about my knees. i came down from a block in a very competetive 3rd game and felt my knee cap go almost onto the entire right side of my right leg. it didnt start hurting immedietly so i kept playing. i came down from the next block and my kneecap did the same thing but it moved inward, towards my left leg. that's when it started hurting . my coach pulled me and i plopped on the floor, ripped off my tape and iced IMMEDIETLY. i called my PT and got crutches and a generic stablizer and i was on those for a week, when i could walk again . about halfway through that week, i went to my OS and he decided that i needed the elmslie trillat procedure , and i still have a could questions...

how long is the actual procedure ?

he said something about re-attaching my ligament that was on the inside of my knee if it was a smidge loose , which he expected . what ligament is that ?

what extension to my surgery is that called ?

how big will my scar(s) be / what will they look like ?

what is the average recovery time ?

i had my MRI last friday, and im still waiting for the results . also , i noticed this morning that i feel a shifting right on the left side of knee cap , and its VEERRY painful . what is that caused by ?

this is my first surgery on my knees (scedueled for june 8th , 3 days after school is let out ) and im extremely nervous .

thanks !

-kate  <3

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: elmslie trillat ?!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:09:31 AM »
Hi Katttte.
Try not to worry. With your history your procedure could be longer than a quick oldie like me.  Mine was about an hour but i expect they will have to make a few nips and tucks to get everything tightened up.  Your incision depends on the surgeon but mine is about 4 inches long.  It runs from the top of my knee cap to just below the bump in my tibia(shin bone).  You are young and will heal fairly quickly but it will take a good 3-4 months to feel really good again. You are young so it will heal better and faster than mine.  It is a bout as wide as a piece of cooked spagetti.  ;) It will be red at first then turn purple then your skin colour.
As for the rest of your questions you will have to ask the DR those.
Take Care I am sure everything will be just fine.  You sound like an exceptionally brave girl. :) Check out purplechick 13's thread she can help you better than i as she is your age. ;)
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline katttte !

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
thanks so much !
i'd seen pictures of people with scars that were 4-12 inches long ! its a huge range , but i tend to be accidently pessimesstic . haha  :P
i'm going back to my PT and OS sometime next week , so i'll be sure to ask them those questions ! (:

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
Your kneecap pops out towards the inside and outside of your leg? Hm, that seems like both medial and lateral instability, hope your surgeon is aware of that.

You will have to clarify the Elmsie-trilliat procedure to me. I know it is one of the types of tibial tubercle transfer, but what direction are they planning to move it? My tibial tubercle was moved 1 inch medially.

The ligament he mostly likely is talking about is your MPFL - medial patellofemoral ligament. It is on the medial side of your knee (side towards your other knee) and attaches to your femur and kneecap. It is often stretched or torn in dislocations.

I had a tibial tubercle trasnfer, MPFL reconstruction, and lateral release and it was about 2.5 hours, I think. I had mine done outpatient, but it really varies on the surgeon as many do have it inpatient. In total, I was at the hospital for probably 5-6 hours.

I would call your surgeon and get a clarification of the name of the procedures you are having done.

I have two larger scars then just small scope ones. My scar for my MPFL (that ligament) reconstruction is on the medial side of my kneecap. It is about 2 ins long and is vertical. My tibial turbecle transfer scar is below my knee down the front of my shin. It is about 3 inches long (although I have a dot of scar above it and below it for the stitches so from dot to dot it's 3.5 ins) and is vertical too. Then, I have small scars not even a 1/2 an inch big that are from the scope. Take out a ruler....my scars are long although 3 inchs doesn't sound long lol.

Average recovery time really varies...depending on what is done, your surgeon's protocol, what shape you are in before surgery, etc. I would say at least 6 months. My surgeon told me 12-18 months for me since I had already had one surgery on that knee and my knee has been inflamed and dysfunctional for so long.

I was in a hinged leg brace like this http://www.breg.com/knee-bracing/post-op/t-scope.html for nearly 4 months after surgery! It was because of my slow gain of ROM and muscle that I had to be in it so long though. After surgery, it was locked straight for nearly 4 weeks. Then, my pt slowly unlocked it for more bend each week (10* a week). I was on crutches for about 6 weeks, then did one crutch for 2 more, so a total of 8. However, I was encouraged and allowed to put weight on my leg when walking with crutches. My surgery was on a Friday and I started formal physical therapy that Monday. It is very important to recovery.

Good Luck! Make sure you get as strong as possible before surgery!
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

support