Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Did I hurt my knee??  (Read 16099 times)

Offline BOgletree7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Did I hurt my knee??
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:30:03 PM »
Iím new to this website and donít know my way around these boards yet but I hope someone might can help.  About 3 or 4 weeks ago in karate I got kicked on the kneecap while sparring. It hurt a lot after it happened but the knee had very little swelling that night and what little swelling there was went down the next day. My knee did bruise a lot and it was black and blue for about a week. It never hurt to walk/run on it but it is uncomfortable if you press on the kneecap, even something such as jean pressing on it while I bend my leg or even pulling the sheets over it at night bothers it. I think I can fell a little indentation on that kneecap as if I might have chipped it but Iím not sure.  I assumed that if I had chipped or cracked my kneecap that it would be painful to walk or bend it; and mine is not.  I would appreciate any comments or suggestion as to what might be wrong with my knee. 

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Did I hurt my knee??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »
It doesn't sound like you damaged the joint itself at all. That's good news. However, you obviously injured the skin and other tissue over the knee cap. It could be a sebaceous cyst. Check this out and see if it sounds like anything:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000842.htm

If you're concerned that you injured the bone at all you really ought to see a doctor. A simple x-ray could identify that and allow you to be treated properly. But try a warm compress. Maybe it is just a cyst and will drain over time. But nobody on here is going to be able to give you a diagnosis. We can offer helpful advice, but really need to see a doctor if you're having pain and it isn't going away after a few weeks.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Did I hurt my knee??
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:59:47 AM »
If you're concerned I'd definitely recommend seeing a doctor - as knee always hurts noted, folk on this board are interested amateurs rather than medical professionals.

My two cents on this are that it sounds as though you may have some bone edema (bone bruising, essentially.) This is quite common when you have a direct trauma to a bony surface that isn't severe enough to cause a fracture or break. I had some quite severe bone edema of the kneecap after landing directly on it in a motorbike accident some years ago, and it was very uncomfortable for quite a long time after the original injury had settled. Unfortunately it's one of those things - nowhere near as serious as a fracture, break or bone chip, but it does take quite a while to clear up.

Again, though, I would encourage you to see a doctor if the problem persists for much longer. Even though you're not experiencing pain when running or walking, it's always best to get injuries checked out if they don't seem to be resolving on their own.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support