Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 WEEKS POST OP ROM STUCK AT APPROX 70  (Read 17378 times)

Offline dawnie19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 WEEKS POST OP ROM STUCK AT APPROX 70
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
Hi everyone I had a partial knee replacement on 18th april 2011, to be let out of the hospital I bit the inside of my cheek and let the pt get me to 80 degrees. I have since done all the exercises that were given to me but I am still stuck at approx 70 degrees.
I am walking without crutches or sticks but the pain when bending is excruciating....... ???
I cannot even do the straight leg raise on the bed or sat in a chair!!!!!
the swelling is pretty minor but the pain when trying to bend is at the top of my knee cap....I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this...is it normal......please please help!!!!
I will say in advance that this site has helped me so much over the last few years and you guys are so great.
Oh by the way I am in the UK and I am a 40yr old female.

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 3 WEEKS POST OP ROM STUCK AT APPROX 70
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Hi!

What was  your range like before the surgery? If it was very limited beforehand then it may take a lot of work to improve. Both swelling and pain will inhibit  your muscles particularly the quads. I am also advised that patience is necessary - you need to keep working hard but also give yourself time to heal.

I had a PKR on April 4th - also in the UK so I am a few weeks ahead of you. I still have swelling in my knee and moving down my calf to my ankle. Luckily my range was good before the surgery and has nearly returned to the same. I do have a quads lag. My complaint is how quickly my knee stiffens up - in whatever position I've been in and is then very painful to move. This is particularly bad at night.

Have you tried doing any exercises in a pool?

Hope you make progress soon

gillyb

Offline dawnie19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
Hi gilly, range was a bit limited before surgery but it was definitly over 100, my swelling is limited to the knee only and it is not that bad. Its the muscle at the top of my kneecap that is excruciating when i try to straight leg raise, I have heard horror stories of the physios bending it for you and I`m afraid that I wont be too pleased if they do that.......My hubby says I will be kicked off physio cos I will shout at them... :o
Hopefully time will heal and I wont have as many worries.
Glad to hear you are doing well...
I too suffer with the stiffness, I have been up at all hours through the night, this morning at 4am I had enough and the kettle was once again on the boil at stupid o clock!!!!!
Cant wait for a full nights rest....... ???

Offline Katwoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
I am learning not to panic if I am not the same as everyone else.  Whilst I had a different operation (knee reconstruction, acl, pcl and mcl), I was getting worried because at 3 weeks my flex was stuck low, at 4 weeks it got all the way to 60, now 6 weeks post op I am at 120.  My big problem was extension, again stuck for ages, now exactly the same as my 'good' knee.  Basically speak to your physio/surgeon, get their opinions (be careful though at the 3 week mark my surgeon was going to go back in, but I talked him into waiting a bit longer).  I took every little bit a extra flex or extension (even when it was an extra 2 degrees) as a sign that it was all getting better.

Fingers crosse for you and hang in there.

Offline dawnie19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
WoooooHoooooooo ;D ;D ;D
managed a straight leg raise today, I got that excited I nearly feell off the chair ;)
it was only approx 3inch but hey I dont mind that!!!!!
My hubby thought I had won lottery I was that giddy with excitement.........
You are right Katwoman I shouldn`t be thinking about other people, I1m gonna keep doing my excercises and hopefully little things like todays wioll get me through.
Good luck to you all and c u all soon...xxx

Offline Katwoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
So glad things are happening for you.  I will keep my fingers crossed that you continue to improve.

Offline Suejs14

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »
Re straight leg raises: if you put a rolled up towel under your ankle to help you get started, you might have more success.  My PT had me do that and then slowly lower the leg - lowering slowly works the quads, too.  After a couple of days (nearly a week for weakling me) you should be able to stop using the towel.  Good luck and keep plugging away - and get better, too

Sue JS
4/04 R knee partial meniscectomy
4/24/11 L patella comminuted fx
4/27 ORIF (2 of @ 6 pieces pin & wire together)
5/10 Staples out
6/7 from full leg immobilizer to brace set at 70 degrees flex
6/16 begin PT with 45 degrees ROM
7/14 75 ROM
7/21 81 ROM
8/2  102 ROM
11/30 127 ROM

support