Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: time needed for 2nd opinion? (poor flexion and possible MUA)  (Read 727 times)

Offline htrumbower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am 7 weeks post-op ACL reconstruction, with an achilles tendon allograft.
I am having serious problems with flexion. I cannot get past 90 degrees.
My surgeon is suggesting an MUA.   I am wary of that from reading this forum.
I would like to get a second opinion from Dr. Colin Eakin. 
(I live in the Palo Alto area and I wish I had gone to him in the first place).

Do I need to wait for 90 days after my surgery to get a second opinion?
Several other orthopedic surgeons have already told me that and refused to give me an appointment.

Thanks.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: time needed for 2nd opinion? (poor flexion and possible MUA)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
Hello again!

An MUA done for the right reasons can actually help. I had one on my left knee when I got stuck with my flex AND extension. I think it was a while later in the rehab than yours is currently suggesting. My op was in April and the MUA was in late September. They also found a meniscus tear while they were playing with my knee and had to go in to trim it.

An MUA has to be done for the right reasons and it has to be done carefully. Mine helped but did not get rid of the underlying problem, i.e. my graft was incorrectly placed. If you can get some fresh eyes to look at your knee and they are prepared to take fresh X-Rays and/or an MRI, then at least you can find out if it is needed for the right reasons. If the graft is incorrectly placed then no amount of manipulation will make it better. If the block is due to excessive scar tissue then the MUA must not be too aggressive as it in turn stimulates the build up of more scar tissue.

Perhaps it is worth contacting another experienced doctor to ask for a second opinion. If you explain that you are just being careful about the MUA, then they are less likely to see it as a "blame culture/potential litigation headache".

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline htrumbower

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: time needed for 2nd opinion? (poor flexion and possible MUA)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks so much for both of your answers!

I had a followup Xray at week 5, and I will be asking for an MRI at my week 8 followup this week.