Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question regarding knee pain and wrist ganglion pain  (Read 791 times)

Offline klinkmcbear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question regarding knee pain and wrist ganglion pain
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »
Hi,

I am about 6 weeks out from a partial menisectomy and arthroscopic clean up of some very damaged cartilage. Waiting to see how much more progress I will make, and hoping that I buy some time before needing TKR .

I have been showing pretty consistent improvement. This week, it seems the stiffness has decreased significantly, and my motion seems much more fluid. The sharp pain that I was experiencing before the surgery, though, seems to have increased. I am not sure if this is a bad sign, or if it is more due to the fact that the increased fluidity (not sure if that's really a word) is giving me a greater range of motion, causing me to be less guarded, putting more weight on it at different degrees of flexion, etc. ...basically, I am feeling better, so I am pushing it more.

One thng that I am really noticing is that along with this increased knee pain in the past couple of days, I am also having a LOT of pain in a ganglion on my wrist. I have had this ganglion for over 20 years, and most of the time don't even feel it. But every now and then it bothers me. Today, every movement of my wrist really hurts.

So, my question is, are there times where your whole body is just more subject to pain - like maybe your nerves are just more sensitive? It just seems very coincidental that my knee has been showing consistent progress, and now almost seems worse - at the same time that this ganglion that hasn't given me pain in years is very painful. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows anything about a possible connection.

thanks,
kathleen
Left knee - partial menisectomy & debridement - 3/2011
PRP left knee - 1/2019
PRP and Stem Cells right knee - 1/2019

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Question regarding knee pain and wrist ganglion pain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
It's definitely possible for pain to be amplified in that situation by a process known as "central sensitization". Read more about it here:

saveyourself.ca/229
saveyourself.ca/237
saveyourself.ca/253

That being said, it could also be a change of stimulus causing the pain. Your routine has certainly changed since the surgery, and your wrist pain could certainly be due to "overuse". In addition, when you're laid up for a while (like after surgery!) muscle atrophy sets in and could change the way you use your wrist. I know that before I developed knee problems, I rarely had any pain. Now, there's hardly a moment that something isn't hurting. I suspect that one or a combination of those aforementioned factors could be the cause of your pain. Unfortunately, it comes along with the territory. The best you can do is slog through your rehab, and hope that everything resolves itself in the end, perhaps being more careful with your wrist along the way. Hopefully, the wrist doesn't become its own problem that requires treatment.

support