Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meniscus Tear/Partial ACL retear  (Read 722 times)

Offline tazmo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Tear/Partial ACL retear
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:29:53 AM »
Hello!  Well to get started I am a 23 years old and extremely active.  I play soccer in a menís league here in Okinawa Japan and coach high school girls soccer. Additionally, I actively do yoga and enjoy running.  I originally tore my Left ACL back in 2003 and had ACL reconstructive surgery in 2004 using the hamstring. I did all post op rehab and started playing soccer again for a short time before I shipped out for the military.  During this time I never gave 100% because I was extremely scared of reinjuring my knee and was afraid to get back into the competitive world of soccer.  About 1 Ĺ years ago I played soccer for my first time in almost a 3 year time period and within the first 5 minutes of the game I tore my meniscus in the left knee.   I have been to the doctors and they took an MRI to verify it. They did not want to do surgery because they said that the meniscus surgery will cause me more problems in the future with arthritis. 

Generally when I play I find it extremely hard to pivot, cut or turn because I get sharp pains in the knee or it feels like it will give out.  Also generally after playing in  practice later on in the night when walking around my knee starts feeling really weak and sometimes gets sharp throbbing pains.  I am trying to figure out what my plan of action should be as I am completely at loss.   I want to be able to play sports again and would really like to be able to run, do yoga, and various other activities that I seem to struggle with due to the pains in my knee.  Should I go back to the doctors and request the meniscus surgery or should I take another route?   I do not trust the military physical rehabilitation here on island so I will be doing all my own training to get back in action.  I really just donít know what my options are and trying to get put in the right direction.  Thanks in advance for any help provided, if you would like more information let me know and I will be glad to provide it. Thanks again!

support