Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knot around incision  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Alb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knot around incision
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Hello,
My husband had arthroscopic knee surgey on April 1, 2011. He had 1 incision above the knee and 1 incision on each side at the bottom of his knee. Starting about a week ago he started to get hard knots on the bottom 2 incisions and they are very tender. He had the surgery for a  meniscal tear and the doctor said he shaved the knee cap because of the inflammation. This is the second knee surgery he has went through for the same problem, the meniscal tear. With the first surgery he had small fluid filled knots that went away after a month, that surgery was in 2005. With this surgey in 2011, this so far is the only problem.
We went to the doctor today, and he didn't have any concerns, he just said to massage them to make them ease up and that if we had any problems to return back. Is there anything that we should be concerned with? What could the knots be?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:05:42 AM by Alb »

Offline Alb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knot around incision
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Does anyone have any information that they can share with us? Or has anyone had this problem with hard knots around incision area? Any information would be helpful.
Thank you
April

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »
The lumps are probably just scar tissue. Massage them like your doctor said and hopefully they will soften up for you. It seems to be a regular occurrence from my experience and from what I've read here of others' experience. And if it isn't getting better after a while, check in with your doctor again and see what's up.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »
I had the hard lumps at my portal sites after my arthroscopic procedures as well.  I massaged them.  I found it uncomfortable, so my PT worked on them more vigorously.  I also had ultrasound treatments on them as well.  It took a couple of months for them to soften up.  They are still puffy, but much softer and less painful.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline Alb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
Thank you both for the fast reply. Ok that's what the doctor said to do but we were curious. New symptom from the first surgery and it threw a flag. We will keep doing the massage and hopeully they with soften up and the tenderness will go away. We were really thinking since the knee was shaved that they may be calcium knots because they are so hard.
Again thank you both for they reply.  :)
April

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:50 AM »
Alb,
I had this happen this surgery as well. I just massaged them and they were gone within a few weeks.  They do smart though if they are banged.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline psych2010

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
I'm having the same thing happen under only one of my three incisions, but haven't seen the doc post op yet. I was concerned cause it was hurting, but it sounds like it's common. Thanks for the piece of mind.
1997-Rt patella dislocation 3xs
1998-Rt patella Lateral Release+, Successful
2006-Lt patella dislocation
1/2011-Lt patella dislocation
4/25/2011-Lt knee MPFL Reconstruction