Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Looking for IT band suggestions  (Read 1064 times)

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Looking for IT band suggestions
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
All my decades of damage, combo'd with years of limping and the last injury have caused all sorts of IT band pain. Lately it's worse than the actual knee pain. I've been doing physical therapy for a couple of months now, no real relief. Last couple of weeks, we've been added more stretches and truthfully that seems to making the pain way way worse. Anybody got a suggestion on something I can do to fix/help/solve this? I am soooooo frustrated. >:(
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Looking for IT band suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
You can try a foam roller to help streach and relax the IT band.  I use a tennis ball and rub it up and down the IT band.  Yes it hurts, but it feels much better later on.  I also found that doing the streaches after a warm bath or shower helped too.  This is a frusterating problem that requires diligence and patience.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
Don't forget to stretch your glutes as well. Tight glutes pull on the IT band, contributing to the pain at the knee. I roll on a foam roller for glutes and IT band every day (the black ones are the best). After I could tolerate that, I started using a tennis ball for my glutes (more pinpoint...good for big muscles like the glutes and hamstrings). Now, I've worked my way up to a lacrosse ball, which is fantastic. I wouldn't start there. If you are super tight, you don't need to bring out the big guns. Start with foam roller for glutes and IT band.

Also, light stretching 3x a day is better than going at it hard 1x a day. You have to make sure you don't overdo it, cause that can cause your muscles to tighten up even more, which is counterproductive.

Good luck! IT band pain really sucks!
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
I bought  a foam roller. $25 for a oversized pool noodle. Wow. Tried it out tonight.  :o  Owwwieeee! Uncomfortable barely describes it. Then I tried it on the undamaged leg.... Barely hurt at all. Man, that really emphaszed the difference between the IT band on the bad leg and the decent one. I'm hoping that if I do this every day, it'll help.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
Yeah the ...um... "discomfort" can be really terrible.  It does get better over time.  As you said though comparing sides, how tight the bad side is.  Don't forget the other streaches too.  It does take time, but it can get better.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:57:02 AM »
I'm so glad you got a foam roller. Such a useful tool for IT band issues. My foam roller cost me $35, so you got a deal!

You can support your weight more with your arms a bit to start until you can tolerate it more. Or, put the other foot on the ground to take a bit of your weight so it's not all bearing down on the foam roller. Once you are able to tolerate it more, you then take more weight on the foam roller, deepening the massage.

Don't forget to use the foam roller on your glutes too!
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly