Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL reconstruction- advice please!!!  (Read 824 times)

Offline Crafty675

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL reconstruction- advice please!!!
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Hi guys, I've just had an MPFL reconstruction 2 days ago. The pain isn't too bad today, yesterday it made me feel physically sick. I don't feel like I'm desperate for pain relief at th moment.

I'm a British Army soldier and desperate to get back to training (although I know I've got a long wait for that). When I was discharged from hospital yesterday, the PT gave me some exercises. Most I can do apart from the leg raise. I don't feel like I can physically do it, it's not justa matter of being in pain.

When can I be expected to be able to do this? And what other milestones and targets should I set myself? All help/ advice is appreciated.

Craig.

Offline Kmcsmiles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: MPFL reconstruction- advice please!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:24:37 AM »
Hi Craig,
 I had a mpfl and lpfl in sept 2010.  I couldn't even lift my leg up onto the couch or bed without lifting it the first week.  My pt said it is typical for your quad to shut down initially after surgery.   From what I was told and felt, pain wasnt the factor for lifting, getting my quad to engage was a factor.

Kendra
12/20/89: diagnosed hypermobility joint syndrome
88-96 numerous checks/mri's on knee pain
91- left knee dislocate
93-96 rt and lt knee lateral release, plica removal
12/09 dislocated rt knee
09/10 rt knee mplf and lpfl reconstruction
06/11 rt knee repair nerve damage and ligament
10/10 MUA
6/11 r

Offline Crafty675

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »
Hi Kendra.

I'm having the exact same problem, my quads just won't engage at all. It's only been 3 days since the procedure and I'm already frustrated. I lead an immensely active lifestyle and I think I'm going to find this quite a long and painstaking rehab period.

What targets/ milestones did you set yourself? i.e. When were you walking without crutches? When could you run etc?

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most pain, I'm probably sitting at about 2 at the moment, it's quite bearable. It's just the inability of my leg to do what I want it to do that's getting me down.

Thanks for the reply!

Craig

Offline Kmcsmiles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:11:32 AM »
Hi Craig,
  I know it is frustrating, I didn't expect to need help or have to lift my leg onto the couch.    I didn't really understand how hard this surgery was before I had it.  I had many complications after my surgery so I didn't hit normal milestones.  I had adhesions and also had my outside ligament grafted.  I think it took about a week or so to get my leg to move easier-still not normal onto couch or walking, but easier.  I used crutches (weight bearing,usually one) for about 3 months, but that was partially due to snow and my setbacks.   My pt had told me about 6 months before starting normal activities such as running.  I am way behind that milestone, but again I have had many setbacks.  Have patience though, it is great the first time you move and your kneecap stays in place!

Kendra
12/20/89: diagnosed hypermobility joint syndrome
88-96 numerous checks/mri's on knee pain
91- left knee dislocate
93-96 rt and lt knee lateral release, plica removal
12/09 dislocated rt knee
09/10 rt knee mplf and lpfl reconstruction
06/11 rt knee repair nerve damage and ligament
10/10 MUA
6/11 r