Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: no pain after ttt surgery,is this normal???  (Read 4090 times)

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
no pain after ttt surgery,is this normal???
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
hi, im a 21 year old female and i had ttt surgery 16days ago,had a nerve block after the operation and was in a little pain once it had wore off but im a little worried that other then that i have had no pain at all,well i have little twinges...after reading alot of peoples stories on hear they were making it sound like it was the worst pain imaginable,just wondering why i havent experienced any,
i'd like other people who have had it done to comment please and tell me how ther felt ths point in the recovery,thank you x

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: no pain after ttt surgery,is this normal???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:13 PM »
Sam just thank your lucky stars. Most of us are in a good deal of pain for a long time. Be happy and I am so glad you missed out on this part of the experience. ;D
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »
thank you,i really was expecting lots of pain,im really starting to worry the surgeon hasn't done it propley i know that sounds stupid but im worried x

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
Supersam1,

My posts sound so much like yours. My daughter is 13 years old is 12 weeks post op from fulkerson osteotomy with MPFL reconstruction and lateral release. Except for the little bit of pain right after surgery she has experienced very little pain. I kept waiting for the pain to hit and it never did. SHe was completely off the narcotics by 1 week post op with just break through pain meds. She now hasn't even taken Motrin for the past month at least. Some of you just seemed to be more blessed than others. Just be happy and content to have no pain and move on. I waisted months waiting for the pain instead of enjoying her pain free progress.
Take care and congrats on the road to recovery. Listen to Rknees4 advice too, she is very knowledgeable and supportive. Don't think we would have made it through all these months with out her. She really kept us going when we didn't know what else to do or where to turn for support.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
yeah maybe just got to accept that.iv got my appointment with my surgeon next week and i cant wait for him to put my mind at ease.its just i had really worked myself up to be in lots of pain but it just hasnt happened,im glad ur daughter isnt in any pain either,cus by the sounds of it its not nice at all xx

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
I've had 3 TTT's and never had much pain after any...or my partial replacement for that matter.  Don't worry about not having pain.  Some people have pain...some don't.  You are one that did not!
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline CamillaLuise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 02:29:31 PM »
I had surgery 14 days ago and Im dojng ok too..! Worried about physio still though, haven't started yet!
TTT and lateral release 15th April 2011 in London, UCLH
LR was not done when he was in there as he wanted me walking quicker rather than non weight bearing with an LR. He proposed he might do it later if there was still a lot of scar tissue.

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 07:57:59 PM »
yeah maybe i just need 2 accept im not going to have any pain,sorry if iv sounded like a spoilt little so and so,just was worried.
think iv got my cast on for another 3 weeks then the fun really starts with physio x

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:06:19 AM »
You don't sound like a spoiled anything, you sound like a person who has had to endure knee surgery!!!!!!! I bet even after talking to your doctor you are still going to feel nervous it's just part of the process. My daughter is 12 weeks post op and I am still looking for things to worry about. She is almost back to a regular gait, has had no pain, loves PT and still I worry. That's what this web site is for...to listen and to support you, no matter what your concern's are. Do you have a hard cast? My daughter was just in that dreadful full length brace locked in a straight position, but at least she could take it off.

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »
yeah thank you its nice having people to talk to who have been what iv been threw,dont get me wrong im still taking pills (tramadol) but dont take any until the night time and thats just so i can get to sleep without feeling uncomfortable,yep in a thigh to ankle hard cast makes alot of everyday things harder but iv got use to it now.but hope fully next week at my 3 week check up hes going to take it off and put a brace on that locks at certain angles,its going to be hard getting back to normal but i just want to start bending it. x

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »
I had my TTT 9 years ago, never had much pain. OS warned me for unbearable pains, but I never took strong pain killers, only paracetamol.
You're one of the lucky ones, be "happy" !
Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Marie McK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
So glad to hear you are in very little pain.

Purplechick, can I ask why your daughter needed a TTT at such a young age. A couple of doctors have suggested that my daughter whio is also 13 needs one too and possibly on her right knee as well although no subluxing with that one as yet. She is managing to keep up her dancing with stregthening exercises and a brace so far and the pain factor and the uncertainties about how she will cope dancing after the surgery still troubles me.

Offline supersam1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
i was told that i couldnt have this operation done until my body/bones had stopped growing thats why i had it at the age of 21 x

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:34:54 AM »
My daughter suffered her first dislocation while playing soccer. My husband who is an EMT put it back in place and we took her the OS. They put her in an immobilizer for a couple of weeks and sent her for PT. 4 weeks later she was back on the soccer field and dislocated the opposite knee cap, again we went to OS and they put her in immobilizer. The OS decided to go in and staple the growth plates of both knees at the same time since she had very little growth plate to work with. This was to no avail, Miranda went for 2 more years with knee caps dislocating. Her knees had gotten so bad that she would go to sit in a chair to do homework and they would dislocate. She got really good at popping them back in place herself. She is an avid softball player and after finding a new OS we were told her only chance to finish a normal life would be to have this fulkerson osteotmy with MPFL reconstruction and Lateral Release. She has only had the left knee done so far she's going to try and play a season of softball before doing the right knee. It's her freshmen year this next coming year and does not want to miss the opportunity to get on the High School softball team. So far this has been the best decision we have ever made. She has had no pain and has healed so quickly. She is 12 1/2 weeks post op, has a 120 degree bend, walks with normal gait, rides the bike, does the elliptical, walks on the treadmill at a slow jog. Doctor says she will have no problems playing softball by October. I also have a daughter who dances, she is having hip problems, no knee problems yet. Thank Goodness!!!!!!! ;D :D