Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new to this...have I messed up??  (Read 2382 times)

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new to this...have I messed up??
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
Hello.  I am 3 weeks post op ORIF left patella.  I fell while prom shoe shopping with my daughter and cracked patella into 2 pieces on sidewalk between stores (yes...extremely embarressing :-[ ) Anyway...I stayed home from work about a week and a half and thought I would go crazy so I went back to work. I have a really nice place to work where I can sit most of the time.  So...when I went back to work, my family thought I could go back to working a full day, coming home to cook supper, wash all clothes, pick up the house, wash dishes, etc., etc., etc. So this past Friday was a holiday and did not have to go to work.  I was feeling like I wasn't pulling my weight very well at home so I decided to do some things (wash clothes, sweep floor, pick up in general, make homemade lemonade etc.) Well, putting all 5 straps of my brace on was taking too much time so I just straped one down. This seemed to work OK until that night when my knee began to really hurt again. It has been really sore ever since and I am afraid I messed something up.  I stopped using my crutches just a couple days after surgery cause they were just awkward. I don't go back to doctor until 5/11 and am not supposed to bend knee "AT ALL".  Has anyone else done this? or am I the only one trying to rush my independence??  I am so tired of this I could scream.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
Re: new to this...have I messed up??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi, I would say don't try and rush anything. Do the rehab correctly, all these knee injuries take time to recover it would seem and there are no shortcuts. I'm sure your family will understand. :)

Better to do the rehab and get well than for something to go wrong and then take forever. :(

It can be extremely frustrating as I have witnessed during my son's recovery from his surgery. Wishing you all the best.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
Hi

All knee injuries require PATIENCE - can you really wait so long - work hard to get an earlier appointment.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
Well I talked to a physical therapist and she said I could start doing leg lifts as long as I kept the brace on. I am too scared to try and bend it because the doctor said it could pop back in two and I certainly don't want to go through that again :(

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
Bad luck,
Make sure you follow all your doctors orders but also remember they air on the side of caution. My daughter is 12 weeks post op from a fulkerson Osteotomy with MPFL reconstruction and LR. As much as she hated it I made sure she wore the brace until the PT told her she could ditch it, same thing with crutches. Honestly she had much easier time doing leg lifts with the brace than with out. So be patient and remember dirty dishes or clothes has never killed any one. This is the time for your family to realize how important you are to them and believe me by the time you have healed they will have a new respect for you.
Good luck, and be PATIENT! I know it's hard.
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
So you think the leg lifts are ok and won't hurt anything?? I hope I will be able to start moving it some after my appointment on 5/11 :/

Offline purplechick13

• Regular Poster
  • When your given M&Ms ya gotta eat them!!:)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »
If your PT says you can do some leg lifts I would definitely start. Make sure and keep the leg straight, but you need to start strengthening that quad as soon as your doctor and PT think it's safe. My daughter is still trying to get the quad muscle strengthened enough to hold her weight. She's only 13 so she thinks she knows everything and ditched the crutches couple of weeks ago even though the quad muscle is still pretty weak so she has these episodes when she walks to much where the leg gives out and she has to catch her balance. I am so afraid she's going to fall but she knows best. I'm sure it will feel good to be able to move the leg around a little, especially after a month! ;D Just don't rush your recovery, knee surgeries seem to require a lot of patience something most of us don't seem to have. LOL :D :D :D :D
WHEN LIFE PUTS YOU IN A PICKLE : JUST EAT YOUR WAY OUT!!!!
YUM!!:)

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 06:46:50 AM »
Well the PT was just a lady I know so not really "my PT" :/ However, I have been doing the leg lifts and my leg feels MUCH stronger than before :) It hurt like crazy the first couple of times but now I am up to doing about 10 at a time :) I have noticed the past couple of days that my knee looks funny though :( It has bulges and bumps that I didn't notice before :/ I keep telling myself that if something was messed up I woudn't be able to do the leg lifts :/ We have gotten some rain the past few days and it sure is giving me fits again :( I have had to start taking my pain medicine again :(

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
You really do need to be careful to follow your doctor's protocol and not to do things before he says your ready unless you clear it through him first. He is the only one who knows the true status of your patella and what he did to repair it and how that repair should respond to things like bending and weight bearing, etc. You really don't want it to break again or for it to heal improperly, so it is worth having a huge dose of patience and following his directions, especially in the early stages. Do you have any sort of followup scheduled to be sure it is healing OK?

A lot of people can give advice and tell you what normally works in similar situations, but you'd be better off checking things through your surgeon first.

Be careful out there!
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
Yes...I have a follow up appointment to get another Xray on May 11th.  My knee has really been hurting but it feels so much stronger  ??? It is more of a "deep" pain now versus just pain with movement :/ Idk what to do...I called my doctor's office today to ask if I could take my stronger pain medicine (Toradol) since I still have some left from before cause "Norco" is just "dulling" the pain now :( I am still afraid to sleep with the brace off and that combined with the pain is causing me not to sleep well either :( I hate to complain but my family has sure been hearing me alot the past week or so :(

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
Bad Luck..I just wanted to tell you that your Toradol is a Non steroidal anti inflammatory, and is non narcotic.  Your Norco is your narcotic pain killer.  It is actually Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen.  I think that there is 10mg of Hydrocodone in it which makes it a strong narcotic.  You probably already knew that, but I was unsure from your post.  I hope you are feeling better soon!  Take it easy.

W
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:18:56 PM by emergRN »
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline Akntter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:31 AM »
Follow what you are told to do by your doctor and if her instructions differ from the PT, follow your surgeon.  You have to be careful about using NSAID like Toradol. This type of medication stalls bone healing. Your dr would probably tell you not to take it. She may order a stronger pain medicine. Use the ice and keep the leg elevated. It took me really 2 months to feel back to normal energy wise. Still I get woofed easily.  Where you brace. I know its tempting, but do it right or you may buy your dr a vacation with your next surgery.  good luck.
2/7/11displaced pat fx- 3parts
2/9 OR: Patella, 2 K-wires & fig 8; immobilize; PWB walker
3/3 sutures out; 30 deg flex FWB walker
4/4 90 deg flex start PT
5/7. 120deg flex. Good healing of kneecap. Wean off walker/cane

Offline bad luck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »
Ugh...as much as I know y'all are right I am just so ready to be over this :( So then Toradol really isn't a pain medicine?? What else is there that will help me? I really thought I was doing good but the pain is starting to get me down :( And I don't remember the last good nights sleep I got :( I am too afraid to take a sleeping pill cause I'm scared I won't wake up for work or I will be groggy or not hear my kids if they need me :( I need a vacation :( I have been sleeping with my brace on but the straps loosened :) Thank you all so much for responding to me...makes me feel better :)

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »
Toradol is a pain medicine, but it works by reducing inflammation.  Check with your OS to see if you can take it.  I am guessing he is the one who prescribed it in the first place.  Some OS's use it, some don't.  It depends on what side of the fence they fall on with regards to the bone healing debate with NSAIDS.  Your best bet is to check with the OS and see what he/she suggests.  You may also want to call your pharmacy where you had your prescriptions filled, and ask for a print out for information on the medications that you are taking.  I am not sure where you are located, but we always get a print out when the drug is new to you.  It is important to know what you are taking, what the side effects are, etc. 

It is important to get your pain under control and follow the instructions that you were given with regards to activity, bracing, and the like.  We all get impatient with our recovery, but take it from me, if you rush things, you can end up setting yourself back.  Get that pain under control, as you will not be able to properly rehab if you are in constant pain.  Take Care, and I hope you feel better soon.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline Akntter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 03:53:16 AM »
I hope the dr appt went well! I just had my 3 mth check up after doing almost zip fer 2 mths and no load PT for 3 wks. My knee cap is healing very well an.d I can return to getting back my muscles.  You will get there...PATIENCE.  I'm glad I followed my drs instructions and made the PT also. Your muscles will come back quickly. My new brace is much smaller.

2/7/11displaced pat fx- 3parts
2/9 OR: Patella, 2 K-wires & fig 8; immobilize; PWB walker
3/3 sutures out; 30 deg flex FWB walker
4/4 90 deg flex start PT
5/7. 120deg flex. Good healing of kneecap. Wean off walker/cane