Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: partial ACL tear...serious knee pain :(  (Read 4828 times)

jemjem1

partial ACL tear...serious knee pain :(
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »
Hey everyone

Where do I start?? I injured my knee playing rounders two weeks ago, I felt a pop followed by pain I had never felt before. I attended A n E and the lady I saw gave me a brief explanation of how she thought it was a possible pulling of the lateral ligaments, there was no swelling and min pain by the time I was seen. The next day I woke up and wow it was hurting and really swollen over night it was as though I had lost all motion in my knee. So two days later when I tried to stand up I felt the joints gring in me knee so went to A n E again where they booked me into the fracture clinc for a MRI (I never had a MRI) the consultant examined my knee and said I had torn my cartlidge and was locked and needed a arthroscopy op on it to see what was going on. A week later I had the op and was told that I had infact partly torn the ACL and they had removed the part which was causing a problem within the joint but what was left was stretched and will need PT to regain stability, however if I don't regain stability I will have to have reconstruction. He said without it I won't be able to play sports again but I won't know until I go back to see him in 6 weeks time.

So one week down the line post mini op I still cannot straighten the knee or bend it fully or walk on it and wen I straighten it and try to force it to go straight 1- it hurts like hell and 2- its as tho my knee cap actualy sticks and errrr its gross!! I can not place some pressure on my knee as long as I don't try to bend it when there is weight on it its ok and doesn't hurt. I'm just really worried about going to PT because of pain and I don't know if I will need reconstruction on it or not I just don't feel as though I am having a great deal of luck with it at the minute. Please can someone shed some light on why I can't bend or straighten it at this point and what the probable outcome will be in PT and if needed reconstruction.

Thanks everyone who looks at this :) xx

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: partial ACL tear...serious knee pain :(
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
I know someone who has 40% of his acl left after an injury 20 years ago.  He has never been able to get back to any type of sport and leads a sedetary life.  It is now causing him some trouble and he wishes he had had it reconstructed all those years ago.

As there is no blood supply to the acl (I believe) it will not repair itself or get better, it seems that the only thing that can help to stabilise the knee in some instances is physio which builds up the muscles around the knee and other supporting muscles like the quads but this doesn't seem to be a long term fix or ideal for very sporty, or young people.

Go to your physio and discuss all that you have said on your post. They don't aim to hurt you but will show you exercises that will help and put your mind at ease.  My son's physio was very gentle with him and has never done anything to leave him in agony. :)
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

jemjem1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »
Hey

Thanks for your reply. I am not looking forward to PT at all. There just doesn't seem to be any improvement in the movement and pain since having a scope done. There is 50% of my ACL left and I just don't know if I want to live with or without having a reconstruction op cause of not knowing what to expect after and the long process of PT after :( but I don't know if I could live without having it done if it doesn't improve. How did ur son injur himself?? X

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:23:52 PM »
My son's injury happened when made up numbers for a friendly football match.  He wasn't really bothered going but as he said he would he did. 

That evening two of his other friends went to the gym and asked if he wanted to go there instead of going to football, and doesn't he wish he did!

He was running and then turned as the ball passed him, his foot (in studs) stayed planted and as his body turned he heard a loud popping sound and was immediately on the ground in agony, no tackle, no contact, nothing. This was in September 2010.

He was the same as you, the next morning he could hardly move, couldn't get out of bed and his knee had swelled up even more than the night before :(

Awful these knee injuries. Now when I see people doing sports or things like gymnastics I must say it turns my stomach knowing what could happen. Hope all works out well for you.  :)
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about your injury, these knees are a pain sometimes.

I have a similar injury (fully ruptured ACL and damaged cartilidge) it sounds like it felt similar to yours in that it swelled up a lot and I felt that I couldn't move it.

I have been reffered to physio before my surgery and I have been amazed at the difference it has made to the stability of my knee. I couldn't put any weight on it when I started and now, through excercising, I am able to stand just on my bad leg! Don't get me wrong, it has taken some work and there were many points at which I felt like giving up, but trust me, it is truly amazing what physios can do, or should I say what physios can get you to do!

Claire

jemjem1

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
Hiya!

Thanks for ur reply.
I am glad that you have felt progress with ur PT I have been trying to do very small bits at home but it really hurts so I am not looking faward to going. Feel like I have forgotten how to walk without my crutches. How long has it taken u to get to the stage u are at now with PT xx

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
It does hurt at first, but it will get better - I promise!  ;D I know what you mean about walking - it's so weird to think that something so natural that you did without thinking, can be sooo hard. A few people at physio have told me that by the time I have finished physio, I will probably have a better walk than before your injury as i'll walk properly!

In terms of timescale, it's taken me about 8 weeks to get to this stage, that might seem like a really long time, but I seem to be a bit slower than others as I know people that have done it quicker, so don't go on my timescale, everyone is different, my advice is just take it a day at a time.

I found that icing and elevating my knee really helped to reduce the swelling (5 times a day for 20 mins) it's a real commitment, but one which will pay off massively as the swelling will work against you when you are trying to move it, so it's best to minimise the swelling as much as you can.

Good luck with everything

jemjem1

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
Hey everyone

Well I was doing great more movement back in my knee could put weight back on it and no longer needed my crutches or pain killers :)

However iv just got in the car and it has just popped again and is hurting again it wast as baf as when I first did it but its throbbing and I can feel it getting tight again and goin stiff :( any clue as to what it was or what I should do? I'm not due back at PT untill thursday and not due to see my consultant untill june for a possible discussion on a reconstruction op. Xx

Offline claire31

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Oh dear, Sorry to hear that it is hurting again, the best thing to do is to ice and elevate and see what happens. If it is getting tight and going stiff it is probably swelling so you want to reduce this as much as possible.

A similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I fell on my bad leg and it collapsed underneath me. I was gutted and annoyed with myself as I thought I was back to the begining, but after a few days of rest, I was amazed that I was back to where I was before I fell, so lets hope that it is the same for you too.

I'd mention it to PT when you see them, hopefully the swelling will have gone down by then and they may be able to assess you.

jemjem1

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
Thanks so much for ur reply :) it is typical isn't it!!! Ggrrrrrr hate my knee!
I will prob pop into the doctors tomorrow morning see they can have a look it does look like its swelling up again a little but won't know till tomorrow prob well that happened last time was fine untill the morning. Xxxx

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:14:37 PM »
Keep in mind that even with physiotherapy, it's not always possible to regain enough stability in your knee to live without all (or part) of your ACL. The ACL can't repair itself, so physio relies on being able to build up the muscles around your knee enough to support the joint. For some people they can regain decent stability this way; for others the knee holds up to everyday activities but will buckle or give way when put under more stress e.g. during sports; and for some the knee remains unstable even just walking around. There's no way to tell which group you fall into until you complete your physio program and your doctor assesses the overall laxity of your knee.

If you do have swelling and pain after this incident, I would recommend going to get it checked out - they will want to check the ACL and other structures in the knee for damage. Unfortunately, this is the risk of living without all or part of an ACL; your knee doesn't have full protection during lateral movements without it, so it is prone to buckling and further injury. Fingers crossed that this is just a blip, but where knees are concerned it's always better to err on the side of caution.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

jemjem1

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Hi

Yes it seems to be really aching at the minute and going stiff again looks like my movement is going to be restricted again :(

My PT are really good but I feel like I am going to be one of the unfortunate ones who needs it reconstructing after all, I only got in my car today.

And I'm sorry for all of the spelling errors on my posts aswell, I am on my phn lol xxx

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 12:49:48 AM »
That's too bad, but see how things go for the next little while - it sounds like you're fairly early on in physio. Unfortunately deciding whether or not to have a reconstruction isn't a black and white choice at all; even if your knee stabilizes, there are still long-term risks to ACL deficiency that you need to consider. I was lucky and had a knee that was 100% stable after a complete ACL tear (my leg was in really good shape when it happened) but even though it never buckled or felt unstable, there was still noticeable laxity on testing. That was enough for me to opt for the reconstruction; I'm very active, and I knew that over time that laxity would gradually take its toll on my knee. You'll know a lot more after you've completed your physio program and your surgeon has tested your knee to see if there's any laxity there.

In the meantime, it's probably good to read up (if you haven't done so already) on what the surgery and recovery involves, and what the risks of living with an unstable knee are. If you do end up having to decide whether or not to have the surgery, the more information you have the better!

Good luck - hope it isn't too painful and starts to settle soon.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline alexknight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
Hi

Reading through what you have done to your ACL, mine was similar in many ways. like yours, part of my torn ACL meant my knee was locked too. claire31 & snowy are making some very good comments and very sensible. I wish I had done much more physio after my accident and before my arthroscopy! Many of us are similar with type of injury, even so each still unique so be guided by your surgeon and do heaps of research and lots of physio now to build up strength in your legs to help keep the knee stable.

Alex

jemjem1

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Hiya

Well iv been see my consultant today and he explained that my knee isn't stable as its popping, and he has recomended me having the ACL reconstruction :( so I'm now on the waiting list for it so it will prob take a while but still I feel nervous already and worried any one had it done that can tell me how it feels x

support