Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My knee started acting up again  (Read 1332 times)

Offline theycallmej

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My knee started acting up again
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:42:30 AM »
Hey guys! My knee has started to act up again, sadly. About a week ago (well, a week and two days) I woke up and did a small walk and warm up and then ran for about 3 miles-- my knees haven't bugged me in the slightest lately so it seemed like an excellent idea to go for a run. I didn't have any problems and then I had a very long drive around 150 miles with no real rest break. Much of the next two days afterward involved sitting and I immediately noticed that my left knee began to act up. I've had no problem with my right knee lately though.

When I say that it acts up, I want to say that I haven't been formally diagnosed aside from saying that the cartilage under my kneecap is "roughening a bit." I was given a test where the doctor pushed my kneecap towards my thigh and had me straighten my knee and it grinded and popped and that was all. X-rays showed up relatively normal as have MRI's. The problem I face isn't so much pain as it is mild nuance twinges. I'll be sitting still, or walking and I'll feel odd sensations around my knee and around the kneecap. Sometimes it feels more to the inside of the knee joint and I think "couldn't possibly be the kneecap" other times it feels pretty far to the outside, other times (very few and far between) it's been a quick jolt sensation that isn't quite pain but it's definitely "hey, what was that?" and it feels as though it is at the lower part of the kneecap in that area.

I hate extending my knees because it just makes them feel funny this way. I don't enjoy doing lunges but I am fine doing squats and walking normally. I want to say that I am 20 and haven't had any real problem for a long time-- I've been about 6 months asymptomatic and this just decided to pop up again for some reason.

I have a lot of desire to walk the appalachian trail or to get some long distance hiking in, but this knee stuff IS bugging me. Can someone give me any opinion on what this might be or how to better treat it?

Offline theycallmej

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: My knee started acting up again
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
By the way:
My left hip (same side as my knee that is acting up and feeling funny) also is feeling strange. When I walk, there is a point just as I put my weight onto the hip that it pops-- it feels like it is just as I transition my weight to the ball of my foot. These knee problems have popped up, now that is is acting up, quite a bit when I'm walking around at work or on the bike path around my town. It comes in these little "sensations" and feeling like something is moving around that I can't pinpoint near my knee. I'll feel it not just on the kneecap but on the inside of the knee as well.

Is this something more? I'd like some opinion on how I can possibly target my Illotibial band for stretching, too. I've heard that it can be tough to stretch.