Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Some advice please......old injury getting worse  (Read 870 times)

Offline izzybell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Some advice please......old injury getting worse
« on: April 17, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and would really like some advice  :-*

About 10 years ago I had a skiing accident, loud pop, pain, swelling, instability, the whole works. Had an MRI which showed complete ACL tear in my left knee. Because of my occupation my surgeon said recon was the best way to go. However when he went to do the repair he found that it had "reattached" and left it alone. I worked really hard on rehab and in the most part it's been pain free from then.

There were a couple of problems which caused temporary pain, my knee continues to hyperextend to between 10 and 15 degrees, and if this happens it is like a knife being stabbed into the back of my knee. Also any time I have had to do side stepping movements I get a sliding clunk sensation. Both of these were annoying and caused me to stop playing squash and netball.

Over the last 9 months my knee has become increasingly unstable, never to the extent of giving way completely, but it slides forwards and sideways. I went to physio and they said that the knee is definately lax, and that I now have damage to medial meniscus and medial ligament. I have been working like a loon strengthening my leg, but any twisting is painful and hyperextension of my knee is happening more frequently.

I haven't had any specific incident which would redamage my ACL - what could be happening????

Thanks, Izzy

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Some advice please......old injury getting worse
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »
The ligament was damaged to start with from your old injury, my hypothesis would be that you had a partial tear before that wasn't significant enough for them to do a reconstruction on, so he left things be. You might have moved or twisted just the right way to have finished off that weakened ligament, even though you didn't experience an "event" of note. I would have considered the extensive hyperextension an issue, some collateral ligament damage to the back of the knee, or possibly some play in the PCL too, to account for it being able to bend backwards that much when it evidently hadn't before, based on the tone of your commentary.

I would ask for a really close look at the new mri you must've just had - since you mention meniscal damage, and ask them to look again and see if anything acl/pcl related is showing. Sometimes it doesn't.

the downside to mri scans is that they're not perfect. the quality of the scan can affect what's seen on it, and sometimes things just don't show clearly even with a good scan. I had medial and lateral meniscus tears that didn't show on my last one, nor did a huge articular cartilage hole in my femur. but the stuff was sure there in surgery... got the photos to prove it... all 24 of them.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support