Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Middle of Patellar Tendon Tear  (Read 7808 times)

Offline relli

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Middle of Patellar Tendon Tear
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »
Hi Tom Q,
not sure if you will still be checking your posts. I hope in fact that 'the knee' is not the first and last thing on your mind any more:-)
I have suffered the same injury and am now 10 days post op. I don't see my surgeon for another week (and haven't since the op - due to him being on holiday).
Thanks you for your posts. they have helped me a great deal in understanding the severity of the injury / surgery. Can you tell me how long it was (after the op) before you returned to your desk job? And was your employer understanding re the severity of your injury? I am a little worried that people will simply think "ok...so he has hurt his knee?....get crutches and come in to work!!!!

many thanks

Des
Glasgow

Offline TPQ_RI_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
Des,

I am checking this thread, albeit not as frequently as I should (or did).  My apologies for the delay in responding.

First off, I am sorry that you suffered this injury.  It is nasty and difficult to recover from - no getting around that and no use trying to sugar coat it.  That is the bad news. 

Now the good news - it does get better.  I am now post op 9 months.  I get around fine.  I can even run on it and I am planning to do a 5k in March.  Is the injured leg a little bit weaker than the "good one"?  Sure.  However, it is a world of difference from shortly after the injury.  You will get better.  You just need to work at it.

Regarding your question about getting back to work:  I think it boils down to what kind of work you do, and what your commute looks like.  I have a job that is done virtually entirely over the computer and the phone.  Because of that being able to telecommute was easy, and my employer was very accommodating.  And my commute was horrible (90+ minutes one way).  You just can't do that in a brace.  Layer on top of that trying to sneak in PT sessions and it becomes difficult from a logistics perspective. If your situation is different, I think how quickly you can get back to work depends on how quickly you can get the knee brace unlocked so that you can get 90 degrees ROM.  If everything goes according to plan that will probably be a month to to 6 weeks post op.

Like prior posts, I think the key to recover is to really work at the PT.  It will be painful at first, but you have to keep with it.  If they give you homework - do it.  It means everything.

I hope this helps.  If you have any other questions drop me a line.  I will try to help.

- Tom Q.

P.S. - I almost forgot the most important thing.  This response from other people will start driving you crazy: "I know what you are going through - I had an ACL tear."  So what!?!  ACL tears are for wimps!!!

Offline TPQ_RI_2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Post Op + 1 Year Update:  Back to normal?  No but "close enough for governnment work."  From a range of motion perspective the knee is totally fine.  It is identical to the uninjured leg.

The difference is in the strength department.  It remains noticeably weaker than the uninjured leg.  While it has improved through PT (which ended at post op + 7 months), there will need to be additional time spent in the gym in the coming months (maybe years) to get it back to normal.  If that is possible.

Even if it isn't possible I am grateful to be where I am at.  I will not be playing any aggressive contact sports soon, but that is OK as I am approaching my mid-40s.  However, I do think that I will be able to start some light jogging again, and I can play with the kids in the yard.  For me, that is enough.