Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post op lack of sleep  (Read 7610 times)

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post op lack of sleep
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
Hi,
I am 12 days post unicompartmental knee replacement. My knee is quite swollen but not too painful during the day but at night it is very uncomfortable. It doesn't matter what I take or what position I try to get into, I wake at 2, and then frequently for the rest of the night. Codeine doesn't seem to help and  liquid morphine doesn't last for long. I really don't like the morphine though it was fine in hospital. The pain was worse then. I have played with pillows and icing during the night with no real success. Does anyone have any advice for getting a good nights sleep? Thanks

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
Re: Post op lack of sleep
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »
When I had my PFR I was sent home with motion machines.  (I do not know if this is the name of the machine).  It allows you to set the angle and it moves the leg back and forth.  I had both my knees done at the same time and this was the only thing that worked.  I set the machines up on the floor, in the living room, and had them going all night.  After PT I would use the machines.  I thought they worked better than pills, ice, or heat.  I hope you find relief and a good night sleep.

Take care,
Mr.F

Offline gillyb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
Thanks Mr F. for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the CPM (continuous passive motion) machine. Sounds good though - gentle repetitive movement could be relaxing. Luckily my range of movement is good - 110 degrees of flexion and full extension though still with a quads lag. Active movement is slow and stiff but I am getting there - though not as quickly as I would like. And a good nights sleep would definitely help!
Thanks again.

Any other suggestions out there?

Offline Katwoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
I took pain killers an hour before bed and experimented with my leg on a pillow...kept moving the pillow around - took me a while but I got there in the end.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
My ortho told me to use advil pm and it does work
good luck
Caren

Offline trixie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
Melatonin worked for me. Before and after my PKR.
Natures way

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
Gilly,

There are lots of different medications you can try depending on your pain level and tolerance.  I have trouble sleeping but my problems are not normal.  I use muscle relaxers (zanaflex and soma) and sleep medications (ambien, restoril, lunestra).  The pain medications also vary with extended release ER and short term release for break through pain.

You definitely want to tell your OS and let him/her know what you have is not working and you are not sleeping.  Ask him/her to prescribe a couple of options in case one does not work or does not work well enough.

If you get a minute, Google the "Intractable Pain Patients Handbook" by Dr. Forest.  If you read that, it tells you about all of the different forms of relief and medication.  A lot will not apply to you, but if you have a high tolerance for medication, you will know what to ask for.

Pain is the enemy.  If you don't sleep, you will get exhausted and your recovery will suffer. 

Call your OS.  Let us know how you are doing.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:23:34 AM »
Hi there!
I have had 4 surgeries in four years, two of them PKRs, and what has worked far better than pillows is to build up a wedge of blankets from your hips to the end of the bed with about 8 to 10 inches high at the foot of the bed.  This will allow you to have your feet up and still turn on your sides and bend your knee if you need, and you can't accidentally kick it off the bed.

Second, ice right before you go to bed and then take an ice pack to bed with you.  An ace bandage will hold it in place really well.   And then have a couple of back-ups so if you wake up you can ice again and hopefully fall back to sleep.

It sounds as if you don't have an ice machine for your knee, but check if there is someone you know who will lend you one.  I used mine for almost 2 months after each surgery and it was a godsend.  Sometimes the doctor just doesn't think about it, so try asking for one if you can.

A lot of your pain is probably still due to the bruising that shows up post-surgery, so if you haven't tried it yet try taking Bromelain which is an extract of pineapple that helps your body get rid of damaged cells.  There was a study in the Lancet a few years ago that showed it was helpful post-surgery.  I have used it each surgery and my OT was surprised how fast I healed.  You also might try kineseotape on any serious bruises.  My PT applied it this last surgery and it worked like a charm.

Swelling often gets worse as the day goes on, and pain tolerance goes down-what a lousy combination!  When you are seated with your feet up (often I hope) try gentle strokes up your leg from about mid-calf to groin for about 10 minutes at a time.  Its called lymphatic massage and it helps get the excess fluid that settles in your leg and knee move out more quickly.  Try it-it works.

I can second the recommendation for melatonin.  It helps you fall asleep and stay in deeper sleep longer.  It is a hormone that diminishes with age and so you are just boosting your levels to what they were in the past. Definitely worth trying.

Good luck and I hope you have a better night tonight. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:04 PM »
It may sound like an very odd advice, but try aluminium foil that you use in the kitchen. It wirks for phantom pain in amputees, wrapped around the stump. no one believes it works and some even think the nurses make fun of them in all their misery, but after one night they are gratefull.
I heard from one guy with TKR that he tried it for the night pain and it really worked, made him sleep.
So wrapp your knee in aluminium foil and propapbly just cover and fix it with some bandage, so that it stays in place and is not cousiing dicomfort on you other knee.

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
Carty,

I have never heard of aluminum foil on a knee?  You just wrap it once around the knee and tape it with adhesive tape?  What is the thought behind the mental effect of aluminum foil?

I am beyond proud, so if it helps me sleep I will try anything but would like to hear more before I wrap myself up like a turkey.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »
Sorry, was not here for some time.

Have you just tried it Russ? How was it?

support