Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New to Board...runner, weird noises, no pain, anyone have answers?  (Read 714 times)

Offline michybanana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

First let me give you some background, I'm 22 yrs old female, I was a distance runner for 6 years until I had ITB syndrome 2 years ago. I went to physical therapy and fixed it, but since then I've cut down on running and have added in more cycling, ellipitcal, and swimming to workout.

I am concerned because I have a clicking on the lateral side of the knee that had ITB syndrome, and some creaking in both knees. I don't have pain, but is there something I should do to take care of this?

Thanks

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: New to Board...runner, weird noises, no pain, anyone have answers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
It could be Grade I or II damage to the cartilage, which is usually not associated with pain. If that is the case, then you likely have some sort of misalignment that is causing the cartilage to fray. Try to do some research into physical therapy exercises that can strengthen and release your primary gait muscles, particularly of the hip. If you're not sure about this, you may be able to pay out of pocket for a local PT (probably $75 a session) who would be able to teach you these exercises. In addition, since you're not in pain and are quite active, strengthening your quadriceps muscle is probably a good idea so as to reduce the pressure on your knees. Consider strengthening and stretching the calves as well and doing foot circles so that your ankle is functional. The idea is to relink your ankles, knees, and hips so that they are in good alignment and tracking forward to eliminate rotational torquing on the knees. I doubt the damage would continue to progress if you get these issues sorted out.

I will say that it is normal for joints to have a bit of creakiness, so you might not have any problem at all. But if you're really concerned about it, the above advice is a good insurance policy against further problems.

support