Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how long broken patella  (Read 2259 times)

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how long broken patella
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
I broke my knee cap or patella on the 27 March 2010. It split across in half. I triped over a wire and my right leg got caught up and came down on my left knee ouch. I was in the hospital for 5 days on day 3 I had the surgery to repair my knee. The surgeon used a figure 8 tension wire to hold my knee cap in place and a full leg cast. The accident was a lot of pain the most I ever felt in my life. I could not put load on my leg or even stand with no load at first. The day I went home in a wheel chair I was in pain but the weeks the followed I was getting stronger. At week 4 I had a follow up visit and had new x-rays taken the knee was healing fine.  At week 5 I was walking in my leg cast and at week 6 the leg cast came off. Then the work out started. Pt worked me hard for the next 12 weeks. I was walking at first with 2 crutches and then a cane. I had Heat therapy and ultrasound therapy along with exercise like bending my leg or lying on my side and bending and stretching out my leg. Laying on my stomach and using a pad under my thigh bending and straining my leg. I did some running on a mill and lots of walking on the beach. I also did Squats as well lots of them. I worked out in a pool swimming. At week 14 I return to my job and stopped going to my pt it was too much money. I walk a lot at work 8 miles a day that was a work out. Soreness and pain slowly subsided over the weeks now 32 weeks I ride a bike and walk a lot I can not walk down stares but I can go up with care. Still in pain my surgeon tells me it is the wire and if I could not bear it he will take it out but I can so it is still in. just under my knee is where it hurts and above it as well but the cap itself seems to be pain free. I can limp up stairs but can’t go down. My Question is how much longer before I am 100% I still cannot climb up stairs
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:18:57 PM by sabby »
sebastian

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: how long broken patella
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »
Hi,
      Seems that you are at the same stage as i am, i had my op on the 26th march,fractured patella, 3 pieces, and usual figure of 8 wiring.
I too still have the HW in place,but i was told that cant be removed until the 12 months stage.
Like you i have full rom,go to water aerobics,can do squats (cant kneel down though)in fact, most things,stairs have been the worst thing to master for me too, the pain was quite bad when climbing,but yet no pain with any-thing else.
Then just this week,they have just become less of an issue,getting up a lot easier, and little or no pain,i put this down to recently purchasing an exercise cycle,i cycled every day about 10 times a day since i purchased it two weeks ago, after the 1st couple of days using it, my leg was stiffer than ever, so had a rest day, then persevered once again,since then my leg has got so much better.
It may just be a coincidence,i dont know,but it seems funny that things have suddenly just got better.

Although, my OS did tell me that when the bone is fully healed, it wont be fully strong,and the risk of re-fracture is quite high,but as time goes by the bone gets stronger and the risk becomes less.
It can take a number of years for the bone to be fully strong,and with this being quite a serious injury,some people can have problems for a very long time.

But as every-one heals differently no-one can really tell you how it will affect you personally,so just keep up with the exercising,and hopefully you will get there,but there are people on this site still having problems after 2 years,whereas some are back to normal in about a year.
So i hope all goes well for you, and i wish you a speedy recovery.
      Kind regards.
                                   coral     
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:00:08 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
Hi thanks for you nice response. Sorry to see you in this situation you do not wish this on your worst enemy. I have pain just below and above my knee the cap itself is pain free. The doctors told me it is the wire. I am a little skeptical. Do you have pain like I have? Also my muscle in my upper leg is small. I need to work on it.
sebastian

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
Hi,  yes, i still have pain above and below the kneecap,well, having said that, its more of a dull ache rather than actual pain,and a feeling of heaviness.
More than likely this is HW related,as is a large lump in the centre of my knee-cap,i am informed by my consultant that this is where the twisty bit off the wire is situated,says it wont poke through the skin, unless knocked,or i attempt to kneel on it,scarey stuff though all the same.
When will you be getting the HW removed? My bone was not fully healed at my 6 months check-up, so next review is february,that will be 11 months post-op,so hopefully he may schedule an appointment for me,to have the removal done,so may-be march/april time.
Not going to push for it as i feel i am in less danger of a re-fracture with the HW in place,i have read so many stories on this site,of people having early removal, only to go and re-break.
This is my worst nightmare,i can put up with what i have now but i just could not bear to be back at square one.
    All the best.
                     coral.
PS. this may help. http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8290850/quadriceps-strengthening-exercises-vmo-strengthe.htm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:11:45 PM by coral 251 »

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
Hello remember me I broke my patella last year near the same time as you. 27 march 2010.
In the New Year I was walking good and strong. I was able to go up steers and down too not 100% but I could do it and with work will be better.
Not much pain now.
Well last week I just had the hard ware removed from my leg a Wednesday 9th Feb-2011 and the followed up visit too.
The Dr used staples to stitch me up after the surgery look like a need a stapler remover as I have 16 staples in my flesh over the knee. They come out next week on the 21st-2011. They cut a line just below and above the knee to remove the hard ware. Not one continues line like I had thought.
Once I heal from surgery I will know where I stand as these staples just feel unusual.
I feel I have 6 more months till I am 100% a Year and ˝ of my life.
Thanks
Sebastian
 :)
sebastian

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
Hi Sebastian,

Great news that you have had your HW removed,funnily enough,i have got an appointment tomorrow at the hospital,for my pre-op assessment.
So all being well, mine should be getting removed sometime in the next few weeks.
Please keep me informed of the difference it makes,and how long to recovery, once the staples have been removed, at least i will then know what to expect.
I myself aren't doing too badly,but like you, not yet 100%,i also feel it will be around the 18 months mark for a more or less complete recovery, and maybe beyond that, to gain full leg strength.
I wish you all the best on your continuing journey to a complete recovery.
Please let me know how it goes, once the staples have been removed, as to ROM etc.
      Kind Regards.
                              Coral.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:25:49 PM by coral 251 »

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:45:02 PM »
As you know I am going on 12 months now with my broken knee cap a complete split in two. wow what a journey it has bin. Now the hard ware is removed 1 ˝ weeks now I am feeling good.
I though the operation to have the hard ware removed would have bin hard on me. But amazingly it was not that bad. I went in the am the surgery happened at 9 am and I was home by 3 pm that same day.
I could not put to much wait on it as it was sore. But the next day I was using a cane and not churches. The next day, day 3 I was walking on my own and now have returned to work.
On Monday the 21st I go to have the staples removed witch they used instead of stitches. I look like Frankenstein with them lol.
I had full range of motion before the operation but because my knee is sore I do not have full range back yet.
But I am improvements every day. I do not see a problem obtaining full range of motion soon.
What I will have to work on is my strength in my leg. I can go up and down stairs but with some pain and difficulty but can do it. Going down I need to hold on the rail but going up I do not hold on to anything. All is good and I love life it is so unpredictable and interesting and what an experience this was. By the way all the care was given to me in an island called Barbados in the Caribbean and I am a worldly man. The medical care I received was overall very good. Of course my work insurance paid for it all or 80% the rest was paid my national insurance. Total cost to date $8000.00 us dollars.
Take care
Be well it will happen.
sebastian
 :) ;) :) ;) ;D ::) :-*
sebastian

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
hello there long time..my leg wow how good it feels to have it back. 2 months now i have the h/w removed and i am doing well. very well. i can go up and down stairs like a pro and i am now starting to run a little but not like before but i will get there. no limp nothing to stop me now. what a long time has passed. got full range of motion too a lot of hard work but i made it. it feels so good to be back.
thanks for all your encouragement i know u can do it too as you will soon be looking back at all this and have a good lol....
keep well and once again thanks
sebastian Barbados... 
sebastian

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
Hi again
                    So glad to hear that you are doing so well,i have lots of problems with the HW at the moment,i went in February to see the consultant who agreed that it could now be removed,but unfortunately, here in the UK we are put on a waiting list,and even though i have now got a date for the op, it won't be until the 19th of May,i have been trying to get an earlier date, but they don't seem to consider it urgent enough.
Although last week i did receive a phone call from that department of the hospital, saying that they are meeting with the OS's this Wednesday,and they will discuss my case, and if the OS agrees i can be admitted on the Thursday,so i am hoping and praying that they reach the decision to let me have the op.
The consultant has already told me that my knee will never be as it was pre-injury,so i will never be back to recovery of 100%,but i hope i will get to at least 95%.
The HW is now quite prominent, and is causing dis-comfort and pain,but apart from that things aren't looking too bad, i don't have a limp,can walk almost normally,and now gaining more leg strength,although,i still can't hop, skip and jump,but i am hoping to notice a big difference once the HW has gone.
I will keep you posted  of the difference it makes (if any) a few weeks after the op.
       Hope you continue to recover well,and finally get back to 100%.
So take care, and good luck.
                   All the best.
                                        Coral.