Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011 (LOA & MUA on 6/21/2011)  (Read 111235 times)

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photography-Flickr
I知 starting my post-op diary a few days early. So as a few of you know, I知 having my fourth and hopefully final surgery on my left knee on Thursday, April 14th. I知 getting an MPFL reconstruction with an allograft and a scope. As of right now, my OS is not doing anything else. I知 supposed to be on crutches for 2 weeks and in an ROM brace for at least six. I知 going to be on Percocet at home and Tramadol during school and I値l be getting sleeping pills for two weeks. My OS told me I知 getting a cryo-cuff, so I知 pretty excited for that. I start PT after my first post-op appointment. My OS expects me to be walking normally in 6-8 weeks and fully recovered in 3-4 months.

Back-story:
In November 2007, during a soccer game, my left knee started bothering me. It hurt to straighten it completely so I was to my PCP and after watching it for a month; I was referred to my first OS who diagnosed me with PFS. I was sent to PT after x-rays revealed nothing and given a J-brace. In February, I suffered my first subluxtion. I was in and out of PT for 9 months and I developed a flexion contraction from not straightening my leg. When my MRI showed nothing, my OS sent me to one of his colleagues who said I needed an exploratory scope. He thought I had an undetected meniscus tear. I had the scope on 11/7/2008. OS #2 removed synovium and plica. I went back to PT for four or five months. By May, OS #2 was considering surgery again, this time a lateral release. He performed repeat x-rays which showed a lateral tilt. OS #2 told me that the LR was my best option and I had that on 7/2/2009. I started PT three weeks after and went on and off until November 2009. When I saw OS #2 in November, he told me that I should think about getting surgery again but get a second opinion. I saw OS #3 a week later and he agreed that I needed Medial Reefing after a tracking CT. I had that surgery on 12/10/2009 with OS# 2 because OS #3 didn稚 want to do it. I was NWB for a month and on crutches/in an immobilizer for two months. My quads wasted away but I was out of pain for 3-4 months. When I finished PT, my pain and instability had gradually started coming back. By July, it was worse than ever. I had my fourth MRI and full leg x-rays. But OS #2 was stumped and had no idea what to do. By the end of August, he told me to find a new OS. I went to see OS #4 in September and he told me that I had to live with the pain and sent me to pain management. I was NOT happy with that so I made an appointment to see OS #5 (my current OS) after PM. PM put me on Mobic which did nothing. I saw OS #5 and he is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. He is very understanding, comforting, and knows a lot about PF disorders. He suggested I start off with inserts for my shoes and then try Synvisc. Neither of those worked so after he ruled out other issues, I agreed to have an MPFL reconstruction because my instability is annoying and painful. My OS believes the MR ultimately failed because I知 hyper-mobile.

So Thursday is the BIG day. I知 only missing two days of school (hopefully) because next week is my Spring Break. Yay me! I知 ready to get it over with, kinda nervous for the pain because my OS said it痴 going to be more painful than the MR and that was really painful. I mostly ready to get my left knee problems solved so I can play soccer again and then deal with my right knee.

___________________________________________________________________________________

This tread is never ending but I am happy to report that after five years of pain and instability, my left knee has been fixed! Although, I am not playing soccer due to other joints becoming unstable and being injured. I have achy pain in my knee but that is never going to go away because of how badly my kneecap tracked. My kneecap no longer subluxates and I don't have 8/10 pain on a daily basis. It's amazing! I never ever thought this day would come.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:38:48 AM by oohheykate »
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Good luck kiddo.  Wanted to make sure I would find this when you update after surgery.  Thursday will come fast and be done and you will be on the healing side soon. 

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline DaVinche14

• Regular Poster
    • My post op diary
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »
Wishing you well for the op. Hope you have a speedy rehab!
My Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55672.0

Sep 2003: Major trauma to right knee; ruptured ACL, LCL, biceps femoris.
Sep 2003: LCL repair
Mar 2004: Lateral meniscus trim
Mar 2011: ACL + LCL/PLC recon w/L+R hamstring autograft

Offline CamillaLuise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
Hi!

Good luck! And well done in hardy missing school, so much easier to be in pain when you have no homework to worry about!

I'm in surgery on the 15th! Will be starting a diary shortly..
TTT and lateral release 15th April 2011 in London, UCLH
LR was not done when he was in there as he wanted me walking quicker rather than non weight bearing with an LR. He proposed he might do it later if there was still a lot of scar tissue.

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »
Good Luck! Hope it works. Glad you don't need a TTT, the bone pain wasn't too pleasant. Think positive and you'll be well on your way into recovery in no time!
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:58 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes and luck everyone. I appreciate it!!

Good luck to you, Camilla.

I just found out today that I have a math test on Friday, so I have to take that Wednesday after school. I also have an English test on Thursday but my teacher won't have the test made up so I won't be able to take it until after Spring Break. These two days are stressful because all of my deadlines are pushed up. I have to finish my English paper by Wednesday, also even though the original due date is Friday. I haven't had this much work all year! I swear they planned this.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline LoosePatellas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:41:34 AM »
Wishing you the best.
Unstable kneecaps, dislocations since age 6
1992: Arthroscopic Surgery on right knee to remove loose body
No dislocations from 2005-2010
Three dislocations in 2010
RK MPFL Reconstruction schedule for 1/3/2011!!!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
Kate, they probably planned to have everything due before spring break because they know everyone will be totally checked out after spring break--especially the seniors!  ;D I know we always were...

Good luck with your surgery. I know the nerves are probably kicking in pretty good by now. Deep breaths, girl! You'll be waking up in that recovery room in no time.  :)
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:53 AM »
Thank you LoosePatellas and smillie!!

My surgery is scheduled for 8am tomorrow and I have to be there by 6am. When I planned my surgery, my OS said I'd be his last case of the day, but I'm his first. I'm kinda glad since I won't have to think about it all day.

I did have a breakdown today in English and cried three times, lol. But I think I'm okay with it now. I've never cried over any of my surgeries so I don't know what makes this one different.

I'll update as soon as I can.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

bball123

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:17:13 AM »
Good luck tomorrow!! Just think of how good it will feel once you get the surgery part over with and you can move onto recovering.

Update us when you feel up to it!

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:16 PM »
Hope it went well today...fill us in whenever you can!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Hope you are doing well today.  Take it easy and post when you can.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »
End of post-op day one.

So surgery was yesterday and as far as we know, it's been a success! My OS called today to see how I was and told me that my knee cap doesn't move as far laterally anymore and the scope was clean. I've been in A LOT of pain. Mostly because Target ran out of percocet so I was taking my mom's since it's the same dosage but I read the label wrong and I was taking it every six hours instead of four then I finally got my prescription and found out that I can take two at a time! Hopefully, my pain will be under control now. My parents finally got me enough ice for my Breg Polar Care Cube. So I can actually feel it. In case anyone is wondering, I have the Breg full foam T Scope. I see my OS next Friday and I'm not allowed to take my bandages off till then.

I got to the hospital at about 6am and got checked-in. While I was waiting in the surgical waiting room, I feel asleep. They had recliners so I had to take full advantage. My OS and the rest of the OR staff came over to talk to me at about 8:20. He asked if I had any questions and when I told him no, he got this surprised look on his face and said "I thought for sure you'd have questions!" We went over my surgery again and then he signed my leg. I was taken back to the OR at about 8:30. My mom said my OS came out to talk to them at around 11:55, he said they were still bandaging my leg. So I was under for a longer time then my OS thought. I remember gagging on the breathing tube but then the nurses couldn't wake me up in the PACU. I ended up with an oxygen mask on for a few hours then just the nose oxygen. I was really sick from the anesthesia. I think I threw up at least 15 times yesterday. They gave me every anti-nausea medication they could and nothing worked. The nurse said they even emptied my stomach while I was under. My pain was really terrible when I woke up. I was given morphine but then I was told I wasn't allowed to have anything else unless I stayed awake. I started crying and the nurse gave me dilaudid. It still didn't do anything. Anyway, I was in the PACU until 6:30pm because I wasn't alert enough to leave.

I can't move my leg by myself like I can't even adjust it. I can't sit up yet :( It hurts really bad to get up to go to the bathroom. I feel like there's a lot of pressure on my knee cap when I get up. I hope my pain settles down soon. Or at least by April 26th so I can go back to school when Spring Break is over.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 02:15:08 AM »
And if anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Also, my ankle is pretty achy but I'm assuming it's from swelling or something. I can't see my ankle at the moment.

Here's a picture of me before I went into the OR:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:30:22 AM by oohheykate »
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 02:27:13 AM »
Hey Kate...I was waiting for your post to see how you were doing. Sorry about the pain....even though you know it's coming after surgery, it's hard to prepare yourself for it.

Maybe if I ask some questions it will take your mind off it  :)

I'm guessing the full-foam Breg is kind of a cross between hinged brace and immobilizer since they are made of foam? Is that how you would describe it?

Besides the scope scars, how many new incisions did he have to make? Was he able to use your old one?

Do you have stitches/staples? Ace wraps? Are you on antibiotics? Allowed to shower after a certain # of days?

Did you stay overnight?

So, you don't get to see your knee until next Friday?

Did he just have to do the MPFL recon? How was your cartilage?

Your surgery was over 3 hrs? Or was not all that time operating time? That seems long esp. since my TTT, LR, and MPFL was done in I think 2.5. Maybe your surgeon takes his time  ;)

Hopefully, my questions don't bug you, but occupy you instead! Rest up. Hope you enjoy the ice machine!