Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011 (LOA & MUA on 6/21/2011)  (Read 111275 times)

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photography-Flickr
Re: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »
Has anyone ever experienced their hinges coming unvelcroed from the rest of the brace? My one hinge keeps coming undone and I have to re-stick it.

Just gonna re-post that in case anyone has any suggestions. I am going to mention it to my OS because he'll probably want to readjust my brace.

Kaisa,

I wasn't as bored today! I watched Love and Other Drugs but the whole time I was begging for it to be over. I didn't really enjoy it. I did watch Little Fockers last night and that was pretty good. And I ended up adjusting my brace again so I can move my ankle even more now!

Milly,

I am constantly elevating! I love it. Haha. I was actually hoping for this kind of brace rather than the more open one. I'm one of those weird people who actually like immobilizers so this is quite like an immobilizer. The pounding/pressure is pretty much constantly there but gets worse when my meds start wearing off and it's not comfortable at all. But that all the pain I have most of the time. I don't really have the initial pain I came home with anymore.

Tom,

Yeah, the pills don't do anything for the pounding pain which sucks :( I don't have blood rushes though. I don't think I get up enough. Haha. But when I do, I get up very slowly because it hurts to engage my quads and lift my leg so my parents do that for me. I didn't have any weird dreams last night and I slept from 11pm till 11am after being up from 2-3:30am. It was well needed. I think he did take some pictures but my mom said as soon as he walked into the waiting room to talk to them after my op, he said, "Katelyn isn't going to be happy with me" because he forgot to take some :( But I'll take anything. I'll be disappointed if he didn't get a picture of my incisions open but that's life. My post-op is on Friday and I'm supposed to start PT after that but with my insurance only allowing me 2 months of PT, he said I might start off doing PT at home. No CPM for me. I don't have a cryo-cuff, I have a Breg Polar Care Cube which is similar but instead of a cuff on the end it's like a mat, I guess. It works pretty well if you have enough ice in it and it helps with the pounding pressure.

End of post-op day five.

Pain was about the same today. At times it was worse. I find it gets bad around 12-6pm. My meds don't seem to work around then. It's weird. I've been trying to put weight on my leg but it I can't put too much on it because I feel a pulling and deep bone pain. Maybe once my brace gets unlocked I'll be able to put more weight on it. Like the top of my post says, my lateral hinge came undone today at the top and bottom so I had to stick it back on and I'm sure my leg isn't straight anymore because my hip was sitting lower when i reattached it, if that makes sense. I tried to stand up and reattach it but my mom said my leg still didn't look straight. It could just be because of all the ace bandage I have on. We'll see about that on Friday. I'm really curious as to what kind of incision my OS made. He said if he was going to reopen my scar from the MR, he'd make it prettier and I told him not to because I like it. It was barely noticeable to begin with. Oh and I found out that one of the kids at my mom's daycare is deathly afraid of my knee brace. Poor kid doesn't know what to do with herself when I crutch by her. She bolts as fast as she can. It's the funniest thing.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:54 AM »
Hey Kate, glad to hear you got a nice half day sleep. Quality sleep is always a good thing since it will help with recovery. Sorry to hear about the deep bone pain you are experiencing, Im guessing the screws are the reason you are feeling that way? Do you feel the deep bone pain in the femur and patella as well or just the femur? Im happy to hear youre not getting the blood rushes at least.

I googled the breg polar care cube and the cryo-cuff so I can see the diffence between the two now. Im glad that it is helping you a bit with the pounding pain.

Hopefully your OS got a picture of the incision, that would be cool to see. Do you know if your OS used bioscrews or metal screws for the MPFLr? Also, how many screws did he use and was it into the patella and femur or did he just use sutures for one end and screws for another? Do you know if youll have to get the hardware removed at a later date or is it gonna be in there for life? Sorry for all the questions but I find the details interesting, lol.

Anyway, take care and hope you continue to feel better. Keep us posted when you feel up to it. :)

-Tom
March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
Glad you are doing a tad better pain wise.  I think the pressure/pounding is related to swelling and some of that may ease once the ace wrap is off.  I found I can't stand and ace on if there is any swelling as is seems to increase the pressure.

Does the brace have removeable hinges?  I wonder if it just needs adjusting.

Too bad that poor little one is afraid of the brace.  They can be a bit scary for some reason.  Of course you may just seem really different.  My nephew was afraid of me after I got contacts in high school,  I had to put my sun glasses on before he would recognize me.  It was funny.

Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 03:43:27 AM »
First post-op visit (day six).

So last night around 11pm my pain got really bad to the point where I was crying for the first time since Saturday. My pain meds didn't work and I slept on and off until my next dose then again till my next dose. My mom called my OS this morning and he said to take a third percocet which made me sleep until 11. I still had the same amount of pain after being on my ice machine and doing nothing to my leg so he told me to come in a few days early for my post-op to check for infection. I don't have an infection!! He said my body is probably just tolerant to percocet after being on it so many times. So I'm on vicodin now. My incisions looks great. Whatever they used in the OR took my tan off my legs. I went booth tanning so my skin was actually tan. I look like I have vitiligo just on my knee. Haha. My OS said he was actually concerned when we called him because I'm "ingenious" and wouldn't make a big deal would of something little. He said I barely have any swelling and no bruising (although it looks like that in the pictures I took). I'm allowed to start passive ROM exercises. I start PT as soon as I can. I have to walk with the brace locked until I see him on May 16th and if I have good quad control, he'll unlock it.

My pain is a little better now. But it's back and fourth. I guess this is recovery.

Tom,

Yeah, I think the deep bone pain is from the screw. Unfortunately, he didn't get one of my incision but he did get one of my graft. I'll post that one tomorrow. I just have one screw my femur and it's a biocomposite screw so it won't have to be removed, it'll just absorb into my body, I guess? He drilled a hole through my patella and anchored it with sutures. The questions don't bother me one bit :)

Milly,

The pressure isn't as bad now that the cotton layer is gone and I can finally feel my polar care for more than 30 minutes. The hinges are removable but my OS wasn't concerned about it. Once his assistant put it back on my leg, it felt much better. That's too funny. Kids are the darnedest. She's still bolting away from me.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:45 AM »

suturing up my leg in the OR.

my knee looks bruised but it's really not. I think it's just the shadows and HDR image from my iPhone.

As you can see, I have three incisions and a scope hole. The biggest is my old incision then I have two that are about an inch. After he said everything was fine, he told me that he thought I came in early because I couldn't wait to see what my knee looked like. Haha.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:57:30 AM by oohheykate »
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

bball123

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 04:03:29 AM »
Hey Kate!

Glad to know surgery went well and that you don't have an infection!  Hopefully the pain will get better soon, just think about how great life will be when your knee doesn't dislocate anymore! :) Enjoy the rest of spring break!

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »
Thanks bball!

I'm also glad it wasn't an infection. I don't want to have to deal with that kind of stuff. And yeah, I'll enjoy the rest of my time on the couch. Haha.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Kate, really sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time with the pain. I can totally empathize with you, I remember after my lateral release the type of crazy burning pain and pounding that just makes you want to crawl out of your skin. As the weeks past by I remember thinking: this is going too slow, will I ever be able to walk again, why the hell did I sign up for this? Its like your leg has been shot with a shotgun, ran over by a bus, and stampeded by an angry mob. Its gonna suck for awhile but its gonna get better. This is the toughest part but in a couple months it should be pretty tolerable. I hope the vicodin will be more helpful for you, proper pain meds are crucial. Maybe your doc would even bump you up to something more powerful if needed ie oxycontin? Just thinking out loud. No point being in unnecessary pain when they have a variety of drugs out there to take care of it. Just remember that.

Looks like your doc did a nice job with the incisions. Lookin really clean. The bruising dosent seem too bad either judging from the pics. My leg was black and blue after the LRR and I had crazy hemarthrosis. My GP commented that in over 25 yrs as a physician he had never seen a knee as swollen as mine before. It was that bad. Happy to hear that there is no infections for you either.

Thanks for claryfing the technical details of your operation for me. Good to hear he used a bioscrew at least, that way no hardware to remove after wards. Wow, he drilled a tunnel through the patella, that sounds just as scary as it sounds painful. Amazing that the body can go through all that and heal back to a normal state. Good ol mother nature at work. She just takes time to do her majic (alot of time).

Im prayin that youll be able to keep that pain under control for the mean time and hopefully youll manage to stay positive through these rough times.

Look forward to you feeling better. 

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Percoset is usually for bone pain.  I find it does not work as well for soft tissue stuff.   Did the OS ok ibuprofen?  It may help with the inflammation.  Or are nsaids still out for you?  this is short i crunched my little finger in the back gate this am and of course it is my right hand.  so typing w/ one hand.  try more later.

milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 03:12:46 AM »
Post-op day eight.

So it's been over one week since my surgery and time does go by kinda fast. I can't believe that just last week I was still feeling the after effects of anesthesia.

Yesterday, my pain was better. I'm taking 2 vicodin at 12am and 6am, then at 12pm and 6pm, I take one. It's still not really doing much for my pain. At this point, I think my body is doing all the work. I'm afraid to stop them though. Haha. On Tuesday I'll be taking 2 vicodin at 12am, 1 at 6am, 1 tramadol at 12pm, then maybe 1 vicodin at 6pm. I think I'm going to transition to tramadol completely next monday. I'll have to ask my OS. I'm constantly walking on my leg now, no more lifting it when I walk. I think I'm putting most of my weight on it. It doesn't really hurt to walk on it except when it twists. I can't twist my leg at all without excruciating pain. I'm totally not looking forward to going back to school. I haven't been away from my polar care cube and I don't know how much pain I'm going to have without it. I want to take it to school :( It hurts where my graft is to sit up with my leg straight in front of me. But that's the only way I can sit because having my foot on the ground hurts even worse. Ugh. So enough with my complaining. I go for my PT evaluation on Friday. I wasn't able to switch places because I'm capped there. Stupid insurance. I'm not allowed to lift my leg/actively use my quads for a month. I'm pretty sure that's what my OS said. I'm not even allowed to let gravity bring my leg back as far as it will go. But anything to get my knee better. My back is taking a beating because I'm normally a stomach sleeper and since I have to constantly be in the brace, locked straight for the next 4 weeks (at least), I don't foresee it getting any better :(

I'm not allowed to take any kind of anti-inflammatory for at least 6 weeks as my OS believes it slows down graft healing.

Tom,

I'd honestly rather tough out the pain then be drugged up on pain meds. Vicodin is probably the strongest pain killer I'll take. I'm pretty tolerant to all of them. Even in the hospital with morphine and such, they couldn't control my pain.

Milly, I hope your finger feels better.

I think someone asked about my cartilage before? My OS told me on Wednesday that I have some fraying (I don't know if that's the word he used) on the medial side of my patella. 

I think I sound really down about recovery, but I promise I'm not :)
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 03:41:07 AM »
Hey Kate, if you can handle things without stronger pain killers that is awesome. I wish you luck in transitioning to the tramacet. Tramacet is alot safer of a drug from what I understand as well and Im glad that it is working for you. Glad to hear that walking is more tolerable now, try to go easy on it though and try to avoid twisting it too much. ;)

I wouldnt worry about school too much, even if you have to take another week or 2 off it would be worth it so your leg heals up really good. Maybe they can asign you some homework so you can keep up with the class? I can imagine youre quite anxious to go back though since it isnt much fun just laying around at home all the time.

Stay positive and keep us posted. :)

Offline CamillaLuise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
Hey!
I can't believe it's been more than a week since your surgery!
I'm so sorry about your pain, how quickly does vicodin help you? At least time passes quick for you!

I'm also on some strong meds but the stronger ones will make leg heal slower, so I can't really take them!
For me, tv works best, as still in a bit of too much pain to read/write.

Question, how did you get the pictures on the forum?

Hope you are feeling better!
TTT and lateral release 15th April 2011 in London, UCLH
LR was not done when he was in there as he wanted me walking quicker rather than non weight bearing with an LR. He proposed he might do it later if there was still a lot of scar tissue.

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted in on here in a while. Glad to hear things are getting better. Sorry about the pain mishap, but, hey, you got to see your knee earlier! A week after my surgery I was in the ER for the worst calf pain; I felt like a baby going, but it was getting worse, and they advised me to go.

My hinges can't come off. They are pretty much my brace in addition to the straps lol. How do your hinges come off? Do you mean the straps?

Yay for no brusing and minimal swelling, too bad about the tan. I went on vacation, and I didn't get tan at all!  :( My sister still has her cross country tan from the summer/fall! However, all the xc runners also have terrible sock tans lol.

Do you know if biocomposite screws dissolve or are they just made of plastic instead of a metal? I think my MPFL screw is biocomposite.

Nice pictures! Is the blue marker outlining your kneecap? Where are your incisions? I can't tell what side is medial and lateral. I'm guessing the one side with the larger incision is medial, but why do you have an incision on the lateral side of your knee? The incisions look pretty nice, if it wasn't for the steristrips, I wouldn't be able to see them from what I can tell. At least yours aren't all bloody like mine...my pt and parents advised me to wear my dressings when I wore shorts to cover them up so I wouldn't gross anybody out.

When my incision got infected (not my knee, it didn't spread), it was so nasty and annoying to deal with even at that level. Hoping you have no complications!

Are you going back to school tomorrow?

Good for you for putting weight on it!

Maybe you could still ice your knee at school during lunch or free periods with ice bags from the nurse. I did that a few times.

Congrats on being over a week post-op.
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »
I hope everyone who celebrates Easter enjoyed it :)

Post-op day ten.

I felt like complete crap today :( Ever since surgery, my GERD has been unrelenting in the morning. I am so happy my OS's resident gave me a prescription for Zofran but I don't want to keep taking it. I tried to hold off on taking it today but I just couldn't. I slept on and off until 4pm and ate a little bit of ham and corn but that was it. I don't think it's the pain killers. If anything, it's the fact that the pain killers are making me sleep and I'm not eating in the morning anymore. I woke up at noon to take my Vicodin but I don't remember if I did or not, haha. I felt really dizzy by 12:30 and I think I remember taking two pills but my pain was really bad. I didn't take anymore just in case I did take the Vicodin. I think I'm just going to stop taking the Vicodin and switch to the Tramadol completely because it's not doing anything for me. I'm going to have my mom call my OS tomorrow and ask if I can switch over. I hate to bother him again because he's so good about getting on the phone right away or calling me back. I know it's his job, but I feel like I call him a lot. My pain was up and down today. It was really bad this morning. And it hurts when I walk but I don't want to stop walking on it. It's just pain where the screw and hole is. My ice machine is working terribly today because it's so warm. Ever since the cotton got taken out from under my ace bandage, I've been able to feel the same set of frozen bottles for 4-5 hours, now they only last for like one.

Tom,

Missing anymore school is out of the question :( I have 16 absences now, mostly due to my GI problems but my school doesn't care so they'll put me in an after school attendance program and even withhold my grades. I don't know what's going to happen when I go back because I'm not supposed to get over 15 absences. They aren't very understanding.

Camilla,

I know, time flies when you're laying on the couch. Haha. The Vicodin really doesn't do much for me. My pain is the same 2 hours after taking it and when it's supposed to be wearing off after 6 hours. Most of the time, I'm on my iPhone or sleeping or being bothered by the kids at my mom's daycare. For the pictures, I just uploaded them to tinypic.com  and there's a code on there, I think it's the third one down, it says "for forums and boards, etc..", just copy and paste that into the reply. It already has the image codes in it.

Runner,

Haha, yeah, I was really excited to see my knee in between the bouts of pain and nausea. My calf keeps getting tight and cramp like. It's weird.

No, my hinge actually came off! Haha. They're only velcroed on in like four spots so they're really easy to take off.

I'm so upset about my tan. I really hope it doesn't affect my summer tan because it looks really bad right now. My knee is mostly red and white and I have big patches where skin is missing.

My screw is biocomposite.

Yeah, the marker is the outline of my kneecap. I have two incisions on the medial side and one on the lateral. I actually have no idea about the lateral incision but it's on my list of questions to ask when I go back! My incisions have always looked nice. I guess I'm lucky. I never bruise or swell either.

I don't go to school until Tuesday. My school decided last minute that our winter was "long and hard" so we deserved the day off. I think they planned for an extra show day and we never got it so we got it on spring break. Lucky us because all the public schools have to go back.

I'm just going to hope for the best, pain wise. I know my school is going to make a big deal about elevating though. My OS didn't write on my accommodations paper that I needed to elevate but that was because I was supposed to get my brace unlocked almost right away. It's impossible for me to sit in school with my foot on the floor and my leg straight. It just hurts too much so I have to keep it up. But it's a "fire hazard" apparently. Gosh, my school likes to be difficult.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:17:10 AM by oohheykate »
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »
Question:

Are there restrictions on getting a tattoo after surgery? I'm planning on getting one on my left foot and I had surgery on my leg knee. My appointment is May 21st, five weeks after surgery.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

support