Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011 (LOA & MUA on 6/21/2011)  (Read 110550 times)

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photography-Flickr
Re: oohheykate's MPFL reconstruction on 4/14/2011
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:01 AM »
Hey Runner!

You totally aren't bugging me.

The brace is just the T Scope (http://www.breg.com/knee-bracing/post-op/t-scope.html) with foam panels.

I think he may have used my old scope scars. Up till when I was on the OR table, he was still debating on whether or not he could use my old incision. If he used my old one, I'm going to have one more medially on my knee. If he didn't, I'll have another one about two inches more medially than my old one.

I think I have internal stitches. My OS told me a few weeks ago that's what he was going to use. I'm ace bandaged from my thigh to mid-foot. I'm on antibiotics 4 times a day for three days. And I'm not allowed to shower for a week.

No over night stay for me :(

Unfortunately not and the anticipation is killing me. I just want to see what it looks like.

I'm pretty sure he just did the recon. He said my scope was clean.

I really don't know why it took that long. He estimated an hour and a half. So it was twice as much as he guess. I'll be sure to ask on Friday.

The ice machine is wonderful now that I can feel it :)
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 03:53:07 AM »
Kate, really happy to hear that you made it through the surgery and your surgeon feels everything went well. Youre super tough for having gone through all of that, you should be proud of yourself. The pain sounds pretty wicked, I cant even imagine. Hope the pain meds will be sufficient and take some of the edge off at least. Praying for you to have a speedy and successful recovery and looking forward to your future postings.

Best wishes.

March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled

Offline kasia_ny

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 03:54:15 AM »
Hi Kate,

I am sorry to read about the pain and your bad reaction to anesthesia.  I had the same thing - I was throwing up multiple times and they kept me in the recovery room from 9pm to 3am... six hours.  My procedure was also close to 4 hours - I had TTT and cartliage transplant.  

I had the same brace - it is a good one, very light and easy to manage - however, I hated it for the first couple of weeks.  Then I got used to it, and finally, happily ditched it about two weeks ago.

Take some rest now! And keep posting.

Hugs,
Kasia
'94 - bad fall and initial injury to left knee
'94 - '10 pain in left knee, especially after sports and while climbing stairs
June '10 - left knee arthroscopy and loose bodies removal, meniscus clipped
Dec 15 '10 - Denovo NT transplant and tibial tubercleplasty (TTT)
Mar 7 '11 - MUA

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
I have the Breg T-scope, too. Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture. What do you mean by foam panels? I don't know what they are lol.

After both of my surgeries, I have never been put on antibiotics to prevent infections.

Hope today was better!
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
End of post-op day two.

Today was definitely better pain wise. I still can't move or lift my leg by myself but when either of my parents do, I don't cry anymore. I just take deep breaths! There feels like there's a lot of pressure on my knee cap when I get up. I don't have an appetite, at all. I thought I did. All I had to eat today was toast with jelly. I tried to eat a frozen spaghetti meal but it just made me really nauseated. I still feel pretty sick so I took another Zofran. I've been really sleepy all day. It was a struggle to stay awake when my friend came over to visit. It's pretty much been sleep for two hours, stay awake for two, then sleep again.

Thanks Tom and Kasia.

At the moment, my brace feels pretty heavy but I know it's not. It needs to be adjusted because it's sitting on my ankle, but I'll let my OS do that on Friday because I'm not walking around any time soon.

Here's my brace Runner:

I've only been on antibiotics for my surgeries that were open. And this is the first time I've been on pills. The last time I just had IV antibiotics while I stayed overnight. 
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
I've also been having some lateral pain. It feels like it would be where a scope hole be. I don't know why I would have lateral pain though.

Does anyone have any tips for not going through as much ice for the Polar Care Cube? I've gone through three bags today. It takes like half a bag of ice every time my parents change it. Thanks.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »
Does anyone have any tips for not going through as much ice for the Polar Care Cube? I've gone through three bags today. It takes like half a bag of ice every time my parents change it. Thanks.

Frozen water bottles....Figure out how many fit in the cooler.  Poor out a little water (water expands when frozen) and put in the freezer until solid. Use these instead of loose ice.  Keep a few sets in the freezer and rotate.  It works great and you will save a ton on ice.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Runner1993

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
Nice picture before your op! I took one before this time, too! The place I had my surgery done this time gave each person an individual type room (walls on all sides except the front) for their pre-op area, no curtains. It was nice. I think the place is new. In my picture, I'm wearing the hospital cap and gown (they let me keep my own socks on for surgery), blood pressure cuff, finger monitor, IV in my elbow, bandages on my arms from their previous IV tries, and heart monitors on...and yet I'm still smiling. My dad took one after when they were feeding me juice and crackers. I am doing a thumbs down lol.

Sorry I have no tips to offer on the ice machine all those KW's tip sounds great. Do you get to keep the ice machine forever?

Can you believe it's already been since Thursday since your surgery?

Swelling is going to cause pain and pressure in your whole knee.

Sleeping is always good :) I've been napping on and off this weekend, and I didn't even have surgery recently, just having a lazy weekend.

Your brace, in the picture, looks like this one: http://www.breg.com/knee-bracing/post-op/post-op.html

Is that it? If I didn't know, from the pic I would have guessed immobilizer since mine look like that with all that foam and no straps that buckle like my brace now. However, in the pic at the Breg website you can see the hinges. The foam might be better than having the straps dig in, but I wouldn't want the foam the whole time I had to wear the brace. No one can see if you are wearing pretty pants underneath!  ;)

Just a tip: be careful when putting pillows directly under your knee. Even though your brace is locked at 0, with the pillows, it's possible for your knee to be held in the slightest flexoin (a few degrees). Extension is more important in the first few weeks than flexion I believe.

Are you allowed to do ankle movements in the meantime? Pumps, circles? They help with swelling esp. if you have any in your ankle.

Keep on healing!
July 21, 2009 - First Patella Dislocation
December 7, 2009 - Lateral release, medial reefing, and plica excision
January 14, 2011- TTT, MPFL Reconstruction, and Lateral Release

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 02:50:47 AM »
End of post-op day three.

My pain was still about the same today. It just aches and pounds then when the meds start to wear off, I get sharp pains. I also get the sharp pains when I move my leg in any way. While off the couch today, I was putting a little bit of weight on my leg. It didn't really hurt but I was barely putting weight on it. I got to wash my hair today and it felt amazing. I hate the not showering for a week thing. I'm pretty much just taking one percocet every four hours, but in the morning and at night, I take two. Then sometimes, around my second or third dose of the day, I take two again.

Thanks for the great tip, KW  :)  My parents started using frozen water bottles today.

Runner,

You got to keep your socks on?! I'm jealous. Haha. They gave me shoe booties this time because socks apparently aren't sterile not even the hospital ones. I wanted to go barefoot but the nurse made me put them on. The nurse only had to try once to get my IV in but it was on the side of my wrist. I've never had one there. It was weird. I probably looked like I was already on the happy drugs because I was laughing the whole time I waited for my op.

I'm pretty sure the ice machine is mine forever!

The days have gone by pretty fast, unfortunately :( I say that because I know spring break is going to fly by.

I only took one nap today. I feel accomplished.

That does look like my brace. When I read the description, it says the brace is the t scope with the full foam so I guess it just has a separate page.

I'm glad I have the foam panels. I think it's more comfortable. I'm one of the weird people who actually liked immobilizers.

I wasn't told to do anything exercise wise, but I am doing ankle pumps and doing circles to keep my ankle from being stiff. 
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »
Glad to hear you sound like you are doing pretty well!  I had a fulkerson osteotomy, lateral release, something done to my ligaments (not sure of the name), and removal of scar tissue in January.  Time truly does fly by...I can't believe it!  But like Runner mentioned, I can not stress enough about the importance of keeping your ankle moving.  Unfortunately I was afraid to move my ankle after surgery (because it hurt!) and now being almost 15 weeks post op I have absolutely no muscle in my ankle and I have trouble/can't really even move it.  So now in PT they aren't even focusing on my knee anymore and are constantly working on my ankle and I am in an ankle brace to attempt to keep it in place.  I was told the other day if I do not start wearing my ankle brace like I am suppose to, I will be in it forever!  So please make sure to keep your ankle moving!!!! 

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:51 AM »
Kinna,

Sorry to hear you're having ankle issues now :( But I adjusted my brace at 2am because it was digging into the back of my ankle since it was too far down. Now I can move my ankle freely and I'm moving it every hour even though it hurts my knee.

End of post-op day four.

Not much to update except I'm really bored! I'm actually wishing I had school but then I'd be in more pain. I just can't get off the couch so I'm so bored and I can't watch anything on the computer because it just makes me want to sleep. The kids at my mom's daycare have control of the tv also. I think I might try to sit in the recliner tomorrow and give my back a break. I miss sleeping on my stomach SO much. My pain is up and down. Sometimes the meds work and other times they don't. Right now, they don't. And I'm not taking my sleeping pills tonight because they're giving me super weird dreams. I forget what the dream I had this morning was about but it was weird. Haha.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline kasia_ny

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
Kate,

Hang in there! 
I rememeber that I had to adjust my brace in the first few days.  The way they adjusted it in the hospital resulted in it sliding down a few inches when I went to the bathroom - scared the heck out of me!  I had the Breg T-scope without the big foam pads.

I remember being bored out of my mind the first few days - it should get better soon!
'94 - bad fall and initial injury to left knee
'94 - '10 pain in left knee, especially after sports and while climbing stairs
June '10 - left knee arthroscopy and loose bodies removal, meniscus clipped
Dec 15 '10 - Denovo NT transplant and tibial tubercleplasty (TTT)
Mar 7 '11 - MUA

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
Kate,

Glad to see you are doing reasonably well.  The pain will probably be all over the place for a bit longer.  Keep up the ankle pumps. The brace looks hot to me, but I can hardly stand an ace wrap anymore.  The kneecap pressure sounds pretty normal (even though it does not feel too good).  Good luck Friday.  Are you remembering to elevate too?

MIlly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
Has anyone ever experienced their hinges coming unvelcroed from the rest of the brace? My one hinge keeps coming undone and I have to re-stick it.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline TOMMAX

• Regular Poster
    • shoulderguru.ca
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
Hey Kate, sorry to hear you are bored and in pain. I know what you mean when you refer to that aching/ pounding in the leg. It is an extremely intense/ excruciating sensation and I remember that feeling after my knee surgery. Pills dont take much of the edge off either which makes it tough to bare. I also remember the terrible blood rushes into the leg when getting up from laying down to use crutches. It stung like crazy, I would just grit my teeth and wait a minute til it kinda faded a bit. I hear you on the weird dreams as well. Its probably a combination of sleeping pills, opiates, and trauma to the body I think, thats just my take on it.

Did your surgeon end up taking any pics of your surgery btw? When is your next post-op appointment with your OS and when do you think youll start physio therapy? Also, will you be using a CPM machine at all to help regain ROM? Lastly, have you found the cryo-cuff to be benificial thus far?

Sending you healing vibes and lookin forward to hearing from you later.

Take care.
March 2005: LK Plant & twist injury (full lateral patellar dislocation)
April 2010: LK scope (LRR, posteriolateral meniscus, medial plica)
Current: Medial instability
May 24, 2012: LPFL + MPFL recon scheduled