Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Too Much To Soon?  (Read 739 times)

Offline mcmurrow

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Too Much To Soon?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »
I am 4 weeks post op LR/ VMO advance/ LCL repair. I am in a post op breg brace that is locked at 70 degrees now. I began PT on Monday and have about 45 degree bend. I know that soreness is normal in starting PT. However, I am in more pain than I was after surgery. On wed, day two of PT they had me stand on just the bad leg with knee slightly bent and it gave out. I have no quad strength at all. Ever since the inner side of my knee where all the VMO work was done almost looks bruised and hurts just to touch much less walk. It is also very tight to touch the skin. Anyone experience this?  It is also still extremely swollen. :(

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Too Much To Soon?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
My issues are different than yours, I have cartilage damage, but my quads are very weak since my surgeries. My knee gives all the time, I think it is the weak muscles, my therapist said my calf muscles are much stronger than my quads and work against each other. I guess the key is to try and strengthen those muscles. (also I am amputee so always just standing on this knee) I am still in lots of pain too, and find even simple quad sets painful, but I force myself to do them everyday. But, of course as you know your issues are different than mine so could be a whole other problem, maybe something with your LCL or because of having a LR. I am sure your knee would feel slightly unstable after a lateral release, being they cut the tendon to release it. That is why pt is so important, if you strengthen everything around your knee it will be much more stable. Happy recovering!! Fun stuff isn't it!  :)
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

support