Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brace for football?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline ali87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brace for football?
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
Hi, this my first post! I would like to say this is a great site for the unfortunate.

I have had a partial tear in my ACL, my doc says 70% of the ACL is still remaining and surgery was not needed. Two weeks ago I finished 3 months of PT and my phsio therapist  told me I can play football but I have to start with non-competative games. I'm still working on strengthing my quads, hamstrings, etc. I have played two games so far there wasn't any pain only in both of these games my knee gave way only onetime (popping sound but no pain). Theres is an instability(I need more strengthing!) in my knee but I won't say its severe maybe moderate or less.

Long story short is that I need a brace for football. I heard great reviews about Donjoy's playmaker and legend. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!   

Offline sherwooa

• Forum Faithful
Re: Brace for football?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
I am nearly 6 months post-ACLr, and I use an Ossur CTi brace just for sports, and it's quite lightweight and comfortable.  I really don't know I have it on and it doesn't slip much at all.
Oct 7, 2010 - ACL tear, Medial Meniscus tear, MCL and LCL sprains
Oct 28, 2010 - ACLr (B-P-B allograft)  + meniscus trim

Offline alexknight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Brace for football? / hockey?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
Hi

Im similar to Ali in that I have a torn ACL, surgeon says its at least moderate, torn PCL minor but also severe arthritis found in the kneecap/patella adding to instability. Like Ali the surgeon does not want to repair/replace my ACL as he thinks it might even make my knee worse.

My original injury was in March 2010 and had an arthroscopy after. Played my first game of hockey, very gently, in March 2011 wearing a neoprene support with the metal sides & hinges. I dislocated again after only 10 minutes. All be it sure the simple brace saved me from greater damage than I would have without it.

The surgeon says I need to wear a proper brace if I am to run or play hockey now.
I quite like the look/construction of the DonJoy Armor FourcePoin​t.
However, reading through other posts the 3 or 4 more popular choices seem to have a design/construction/shape where the knee itself is surrounded by the construction/design, where as the DonJoy one is very open at the front.

Different braces will suit different people as all be it our injurys similar in many ways also very different too as in the sports we want to play.

The one area I have noticed is that in field hockey (played on astro-turf) is that your foot "slides" on the astro-turf so adding to different forces on the knee/leg?

Any advise/comments would be great!

Many thanks
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:30:49 PM by alexknight »

Offline Mart2004

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Brace for football? / hockey?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
Hi

Im similar to Ali in that I have a torn ACL, surgeon says its at least moderate, torn PCL minor but also severe arthritis found in the kneecap/patella adding to instability. Like Ali the surgeon does not want to repair/replace my ACL as he thinks it might even make my knee worse.

My original injury was in March 2010 and had an arthroscopy after. Played my first game of hockey, very gently, in March 2011 wearing a neoprene support with the metal sides & hinges. I dislocated again after only 10 minutes. All be it sure the simple brace saved me from greater damage than I would have without it.

The surgeon says I need to wear a proper brace if I am to run or play hockey now.
I quite like the look/construction of the DonJoy Armor FourcePoin​t.
However, reading through other posts the 3 or 4 more popular choices seem to have a design/construction/shape where the knee itself is surrounded by the construction/design, where as the DonJoy one is very open at the front.

Different braces will suit different people as all be it our injurys similar in many ways also very different too as in the sports we want to play.

The one area I have noticed is that in field hockey (played on astro-turf) is that your foot "slides" on the astro-turf so adding to different forces on the knee/leg?

Any advise/comments would be great!

Many thanks

Hi Alex,

Your story sounds very similar to my second acl injury. I tore mine in nov2010, but as it was fairly stable the consultant said give hockey ago again. I managed half the match but very early in the 2nd half I went over on the knee and damaged the other knee ligaments. Very painful! Hence I had to have surgery. Still early days, but I've just bought a donjoy amor, which will hopefully be good. Not sure if I'll play hockey again though!

support