Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sudden snapping in tendon and instant pain  (Read 2441 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Sudden snapping in tendon and instant pain
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
Yesterday i was just walking down a corridor, not making any fancy movements when all of a sudden, out of the blue, I get a loud snapping noise behind my left knee and instant pain. The worst of it subsided but the tendon is still tender and sore.  I think it is the politeus tendon but I don't know how or why this happened.

More importantly I don't know what to do about it.  I've had this happen before but not this bad, usually the pain goes away and there is not lasting soreness.  I can still walk, though I'm not getting full extension on that leg and standing on it for a while makes it sore.  There is no visible swelling, bursing or warmth but I do have the sensation of warmth.  It runs down the back of the leg from mid thigh to mid calf and feels horrible.  What should I do?

I don't know if I should see anyone or not.  Could I just treat it with RICE??
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Sudden snapping in tendon and instant pain
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
This is your right knee, not the one you usually have issues with right? If so then I would just RICE it for a while and see if it gets better, of course if it worsens you need to be seen. Sometimes when one knee gives the other will follow because of overcompensating. Hopefully that won't be the case for you. Probably just pulled it. Was the snap audible? Or did you just feel a snap? I know most people who have torn a tendon will hear a snap.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »
I ahve bad acls in both knees and possible OA in both.  My right had the scope and was generally very good from last April until a couple of months ago and I think my tight achilese is messing it up a bit.

The knee that got the snap was the left, which I've had issues with before as it took the brunt of my weight before and after surgery and all the doctors and pts say there is nothing wrong with it even when it hurts like hell.

The snap was very loud and there is some swellign now.  I generally have one good knee and one bad knee, then they swap over.  If I had to have a scope then I'd need both to be done at the same time or the other would just get worse.  I would not liek to do this.

I have an appointment with a pt who I trust and respect on Monday.  I don't think the tendon is ruptured because it would have been more painful and I can feel that it is still there.  besides just walking couldn#'t snap a tendon.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
Sounds miserable, 2 bad knees at the same time. I kind of know the feeling being my bad knee is my only knee. Hopefully the PT will have a better idea of whats going on. You wouldn't think you could snap a tendon just walking but with a already weak knee it could happen. I just stood up one day and haven't been able to walk since. Thats all I did, just stood up, that was a little over a year ago.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:37 PM »
It has been a heck of alot better today, just the odd little twinge nad not much soreness at all and I've been doing some walking today.  I still want to knwo what happened and there are other things i want to ask the pt about so the appointment will not be wasted

I think he will do ultraosound where the sore tnedon is and hopefully will be able to tell me what happened and what I can do to prevent it.

Generally though i'm better than I was a year ago and I can do way more walking and stairclimbing, though my muslces ache a lot when I stand around a lot.

support