Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 month MACI update  (Read 2559 times)

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
8 month MACI update
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
I had the MACI op on my Knee for a 1.5cm x 1.5cm defect to my MFC 8 months ago today. Had a lot of problems post op when starting to weight bear and didnít come off crutches until 6 month mark due to catching within the knee. Since coming off crutches I have made some good progress.

I am able to do long cardio sessions in gym on cross trainer, cycling, incline treadmill - have done up to 2 hour sessions with no real pain, swelling or reaction.

Am able to do leg press up to 115kg for about 12 reps - no real issues although I tend to stick to slightly lighter weights and do higher reps. In the past I have been able to go over 200kg but not going to attempt that any time soon.

I spent the other day visiting friends in Nottingham and walking around the city and riverside festival - covered hours of walking, was on my feet for around 6 hours - legs got sore and knee felt a little sore - not so much on the defect area but just in general however this morning there is no problems and no soreness or swelling.
I still get a clunk/pop/snap from time to time - normally when I have been sat down for a while and then get up and start walking, the first few steps normally produce this noise then once itís popped everything is pretty much smooth and ok.
Compared to where I was a few months ago I am pleased with the improvements and I think I have passed where I was pre op.
Although my muscle development in the leg has come on I do lack that agility type conditioning Ė for example I donít think I could hop up steps on the operated leg and I wouldnít feel combatable running or twisting, changing direction real fast etc at the moment. I guess these are things which I will start doing after the 12 month mark or later. I hope to see continuing improvements over time.

Offline kralldaddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 8 month MACI update
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:47:04 PM »
Sounds like your making good progress.  I'm at 4 months post and making slow (in my opinion) progress.  Glad to see that sticking with the rehab pays off. 

Kralldaddy
3/10 ACI
11/09 Menicus Repair/ACI Biopsy

Offline stevejill91

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:14:52 AM »
Im 2 yrs pas and I feel fine but under a load I get tenderness in the knee. Im told it due to muscle disfunction and weakness. Do you guys have any inputs. Im about to get my left knee done in 3 weeks.

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Just curious, are any of you golfers?  I am getting my ACI done this coming Monday and wondering if I will be able to play golf at all this coming summer.

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline bryuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
hi I'm at 6 months and still need crutches for long distance. I also still get swelling and have the catching at front of patella. Did you manage to sort that out and how?

Offline stevew4270

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
Hi everyone and thanks for sharing your information! I am at 3 months post op and still in alot of pain!!  Its the second time I've had the operstion as failed first time, so obvieously worried incase it has failed again!!  I got My operation through Mr John Skinner at the Bushey Spire. I was told to weind myself off the crutches after 6 weeks but every where I read this is very quick to what other people have been told to do time wise. I have also been told to get after physio, bike etc but if I do use the bike or light leg presses Boy can I feel it the next day!!  Dose this sound familiar? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for everyone input!!

support