Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tennis with arthritic knee- Yay or Nay?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Tennis with arthritic knee- Yay or Nay?
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:38 AM »
I've developed arthritis on the outside of my knee as a result of a partial menisectemy. It's not bone-on-bone, but the doctor said the cartilage was "blunted" and worn down about halfway, only on one side of my knee.

Anyways, my doctor said don't do any running or high impact sports like basketball, but he said playing tennis was okay. You guys think this is good advice, or will playing tennis wear down the blunted cartilage even more? (I think I trust you guys more than doctors nowadays  ;D)
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Tennis with arthritic knee- Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:05:34 AM »
I know a few folks who play tennis with quite advanced wear and tear in their knees. Does depend on the pain at the time and afterwards, but I guess tennis isn't massive impact but more about the changes of direction and stop/start. Perhaps start off with some doubles and see how it feels as you have less court to cover? I'd also probably look at a decent brace or support that might give you some protection. I am no expert but I can't see it wearing things down anymore than a long vigorous hike might do over time, unless you were unlucky enough to fall or twist or someone run into you...and lets face it someone could run their supermarket trolley into you at the store or you could fall down the stairs and do more damage. I would personally say give it a try and see how it feels - gentle build up with ice afterwards and monitor any swelling etc. If it doesn't work I don't think you'll have done anything major....but I'm no doc, but do live with worn out knees too!

Sounds like things are not too bad for you at the moment? I'm pleased.  :)

Take care

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tennis with arthritic knee- Yay or Nay?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:52:04 AM »
When I started playing tennis again after my ACLr, my PT told me that tennis was one of the toughest things you can do to your knees. It's hard on knees because of all the stopping and starting, pivoting, changing directions. And, it's done on such a hard surface. Apparently, doubles is better than singles on your knees, so that's one modification you can make. Grass and clay better than hard court. And, it's also important to make sure that you do a lot of conditioning to build up your quad muscles to protect your knee. Especially important to keep everything in place when you do all the lateral movement that tennis involves.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly