Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2nd opinion????  (Read 2562 times)

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
2nd opinion????
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »
I had a fulkerson ostecomey ( sorry if spelled wrong), a lateral release, scrape arthitis and repair cartledge to my right knee on Sept 24. I am 6 months post op and I still have a good amount of pain. I have a good amont of swelling on my knee and shin and it goes down to my ankle. Also my left leg is bigger than my right due to loss of strength in my quad. I cant even go up and down steps normal yet. When you put you hand on my knee when i bend it or straighten it you can feel and sometimes here it.. I dnt know if it grinding noise or scar tissue or what but it does feel kinda nasty and hurts to bend it and straighten it sometimes. Also my ROM is not what it used to be. I have pretty good ROM 130-140 depending on the swelling and stiffness but I cant like touch my heal to my butt or even grab my ankle from behind when i bend my knee. I get a burning sensation on sides of my knee when I do alot of walking. Near my incsion ( about an inch to the right of it) it is what my OS said as hypersenstive. Feels like u are scratching bad sunburn when ever a bed sheet touches it. My OS knows all this and the end of Feb released me from him and from PT. I was told by a friend that I may want to get a second opinion to see if this is the best my leg will get or if there is anything else that can be done. I have a hard time dealing with the fact that I have so many limitations and maybe Im wrong but I thought my knee would feel better after surgery..but instead constant pain and swelling and loss of ROM. Not sure if this is normal 6 months post opp or if I should get a second opinion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:08:55 PM by tink1976 »
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: 2nd opinion????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:30:58 AM »
Hey Tink,
I would give it another 3 or 4 months, continue to do your PT and strteching and see what time brings if it is no better at 9 months then think about getting another opinion. My first knee still swells more than I wouild like but the farther out I get the less pain it dishes out.  Just a thought.  You know your knee best.
Take care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Ty Rk. Its frustrating.. Im nowhere near where I want to be. I got released from PT and from my OS. Not ever sure what excerises to do as all they had me doing was ROM. I still do some ROM excersies but no clue to do for strengthing. Im just so upset about feeling as if I cant do anything. I signed up for a gym and the PT and Personal Trainer there said if Im not careful I could blow out my knee.. if i did the step machine or any excerise classes due to my quad being so bad. I can even leg press 10 lbs. I guess I thought after 6 months I was hoping for more progress and im just really discouraged.  I feel like my OS just gave up. He pretty much said this as good as Im going to get and I have a hard time excepting that my knee felt sooo much better b4 I ever had this done. But I will give it a bit longer and see what happens.. I just miss being active and just tired of being in pain and so limited.
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:10 AM »
Hang in there Tink, if the personal trainer is worth any thing he/she can start you out gentle and slowly do more as the strength comes back.. Actually your GP could help by either getting you a little more Pt or advice as to what to do next.  SLR are an excellent strengthener with out to much pressure on the knee just slowly add weight.  Start out really slow on the stepper, /start with 2minute then the next time 3min just slowly add more.  But if it hurts too much find something else that doesn't hurt.  Check out Rehab protocols for your procedure on line and use one of their outlines to help.
I know it seems to take forever remember I am on round 2 it took a long time like 12 months to start feeling really good.  Hang tough it will improve you just have to work at it everyday.  I personally prefer the bike, less strain on the knee but with tension good for the quads.
Take care Tink.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
Thanks... I have been doing SLR but not with weights. I will look online and add weights to my raises. The trainer gave me 3 excersises that I can do. One is turning on the treadmill.. walking front, side, back, other side then the front.. I feel like Im going to fall off turning while it is moving.. but she reasured me that if I held on I wouldnt. Then a machine where I keep my leg straight and swing it front and back with weights.. then its the leg press.. I couldnt even press 10 lbs.. Im not allowed to use the step machine. Only treadmill, bike elipitcal, leg press and that other machine I told u about.. I guess Im not having a hard time coping. Im just tired of it.. I just want to live a normal life again and really regret having this sugery.. thanks for ur help and support
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
Tink :)
Don't add to much at a time.  Little by little. Listen to the guys at the gym.  Keep going and remember to ice and elevate after you are done.
Think about how far you have come not how far you have to go.  If you do you will get very unhappy.  Remember the first time you posted you couldn't even do a SLR now you can probably do a hundred. ;)  Yes it gets very tiring but YOU CAN do this. You will find once the strenth comes back some of the pain will be gone. Everything abound your knee has gone to pot, but with persistance you will get back to normal. Hey if you are tired think of me 47 and doing round 2 that is tired. ;)
Take Care Tink, and hang in there. I am here if you need to talk. ;D ;D ;D
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »
I cant imgaine going through this again.. I admire u for ur strength and courage.

I guess everybody goes through their "poor me" stage. I think my biggest thing is I was not prepared for this sugery.. I didnt know anything about it..only what they did.. but i didnt know the complications that could happen, the restrictions i may have.. I didnt even know my post op intrutctions.. pretty much found out as I went.. I didnt start PT till a month after and with in home Pt they didnt know what to do with me as my surgeron didnt talk to them really.. orders was just ROM. I feel if I was better prepared and knew what to do that I could of recoverd better or at least been somewhat perpared. I cant hold on to that but when my OS last saw me and said this was pretty much as good as my leg is going to get, it broke my heart. And he pretty much said I need to excpet my limitations and I cant do that.. I cant just give up.. I feel like he did.. but until I read ur message.. I didnt know where to even start. I have lost faith and trust in my OS. My whole leg burns sometimes. I hold on to how far I have come. That helps me alot and with summer time coming and the kids playing ball and stuff it really hurts when I cant go run with them.. play back yard baseball cause I cant run.. go with them on field trips as I can walk for a long time without my leg killing me. Even last night my leg gave out and the store and I was lucky that a man was right beside me and kept me from falling on my knee. My bf says my fear is my worst enemey.. but when just walking a ways and ur knee swells and feels real real weak to wear u think u are going to fall would scare alot of people. Im just in a real bad place right now. but ur message did make me feel better. thanks hun.. u have been great.. I hope ur recovery is going well.. and that u continue to do well.. big hugz to u!!
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:28 AM »
Actually it sounds like you are having nerve pain.  Go to your Gp an see if he can perscibe and pain med for nerve pain like lyrica or something similar.  You have to push a little if you think you are not getting what you need.  Do you have a caring GP? Personally I don't think you can really prepare yourself for this kind of surgery, there are just too many variables.  This being round 2 you would think i would be ready and I was no more prepared this time than last other than that I know it takes me a year to feel better.  Maybe you are just in the longer heal boat.  If it is not better by July or August see someone else You should feel some slight improvements as the leg gets stronger.  Just try and remember this is a long haul surgery and I wish OS's would tell the truth when they preform it. The only people who are better at 6 moths are the heavy duty athletes because most were in tip top shape before they had it.
Just hang in there Tink You will do this. ;D
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
My GP is ok.. but very hestiant to treat anything to do with my leg/knee as it is from post op and they are not familar with the surgery. I agree.. Im not sure u can ever really prepare but I was left in the dark completley. I do feel like they need to better inform us of this surgery as recovery is long and very hard physically and mentally. They almost make it seem like a cake walk.. I will give it more time and research quad excersises and start of them. I want so bad to feel normal and be active again. It sucks.. but people like u make it eaiser to know that u understand and are there to vent to.. thanks so much!!!!
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
Tink,
It will happen for you it will just take more time. As for the pain call the OS office and see if you can get in to talk with him again.  Let him know you think it is nerve pain or better yet see if you can get in with a pain management DR they are sometimes more knowledgeable about nerve pain.  Also what are you taking for Pain at the present.. If you are not taking advil or other anti inflammatory try Voltarin gel you rub it on your leg it sometimes helps people a great deal, but only if you are not taking any other anti inflammatory meds.
As for feeling normal that is what we all want, But I think we have to temper that with the new normal. Just hang in there things will get easier. My 1st knee continues to swell but it does get less so every month, the last part of healing isn't as dramatic as the first part one day you will get up and think I couldn't do that last month but I am finding it easier to do now. Just try to be patient which I know is hard when kids want you to be able to play with them. So play but play for short periods of time. Playing in itself is good not just for your mind but also for your body. Just no sliding into home plate or anything off the wall like that. ;) Stay off the skate boards as well. ;) :o
Hang in there come on here if you ar feeling down and I will be here to perk you up again. ;D
Rk4
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:56:44 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
Im takin Mortin for pain. I thought about pain doc but I just hope they dont put me back on narcartics. Just got off of them. Im just taking one day at a time. Trust me no skateboards..I couldnt do it b4 i hurt my knee lol. Ive had enough of othro docs hoping I can stay out of one. My son was in er last night.. broke his thumb down to his wrist.. He is in a cast up to his elbow.. took him to ortho 2day and he broke it in 2 places.. right b4 i had surgery.. he had to have emergency surgery on the wrist and get wires but in it.. skateboarding accident. Same arm..his right so he cant write.. lol just more for me to do.. lol.. oh well.  kids.. gota love em
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:28:50 AM »
Sorry about your son Tink, get him some wrist guards or something.  He doesn't need a screwed up arm for life. My house I have been very fortunate had one broken toe, one broken thumb at school of course, and a broken wrist at school of course and a several subluxed elbows from the kids goofing around and pulling on each other. @ sets of stitches. I figure that is a pretty good track record as most of the bad stuff happened at school not on my watch.
Hope he heals up quick, lots of milk for that boy. ;)
Take Care
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline tink1976

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
Ty RK.. He is just a very very active boy who is fearless. I have been pretty lucky.. with 4 kids we have had.. 4 sets of stitches ( 2 from my son) 2 broken bones ( my son) and that is really about it.. Lots of bumps on head but nothing serious. He also has asthma so he is was in out hosptial from 4 months to 7 years.. Luckly asthma free for a few years ( well symptom free) but he has made up for it with broken bones.. guess its all part of being a  boy.. He is still in some pain so he is home with me today. Been kinda good for me in a way.. Gives me something to think about other than my knee/leg..  Hope all is well with u. Take care
Dislocations from 93
Fulkerson TTT
LR
Cartledge repair
scrape of arthritis

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
He is a lucky boy to have such a caring Mom. ;D
Take Care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
Hey tink,
Hope you are having a goodday. ;D
How is that little man of yours doing today, hope he had a goodnight.
There was a young man when I went to the hospital who has a track record like your fellow, 2 broken arms and a huge laseration down to the bone by broken glass.
he didn't sit still for 5 minutes while they were waiting to see the OS.  Poor kid just wanted to get out of there as fast as he could.  He needed to be casted.
Well take care Tink.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

support