Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI/TT Surgery on 12/1/10; DVT/PE found 12/18/10  (Read 12046 times)

Offline kimg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI/TT Surgery on 12/1/10; DVT/PE found 12/18/10
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else out there was currently dealing with a DVT/PE following their recent knee surgery and how you were coping.

Following surgery I wasn't placed on any blood thinners but was told to take an aspirin daily.  On Dec 16 I started having pain in my side/chest/shoulder and was short of breath which I associated to the crutching since I was NWB so was taking more of the load on my upper body.  Thought for sure I'd pulled a muscle.  However by Dec 18 I was having difficulty breathing and exteme pain when laying flat so I slept sitting up on the couch.  I decided to email my surgeon Sat morning (Dec 18) and he immediately called me and told me to go to the ER.  The CT sprial test confirmed that I had a PE in the lower lobe of my right lung.  They put me on self-administered Lovenox injections twice daily and let me go home.

I stayed on the Lovenox injections for about 3 wks and am now on Coumadin which my GP is regulating.  My PT/INR this past Friday had dropped to 1.3 from 2.1 so I've been instructed to double my dose on Firdays and Tuesdays only and will go back in 2 wks for another test.  Has anyone else had this happen?

One of my biggest fears is that the DVT is still lurking and will throw another clot which will result in another PE if my PT/INR is too low.  I did not have a Doppler Scan done so am not sure exactly where the DVT is or how big it is.  I've made an appt to see a Hematologist on 2/11 to have some of my questions answered.

I feel like I'm hyper-sensitive to every little ache/pain and just want to feel normal again. 

Anyone else dealing with this?

Offline kimg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACI/TT Surgery on 12/1/10; DVT/PE found 12/18/10
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »
Feeling better after my hematologist appointment that I am doing everything I need to at this point.  The blood clot is still there but is getting smaller as the pitting edema I was having is now only on the top and to the left of my shin - still pretty gross though.  They drew more blood to run some more tests just to rule out an hereditary issues but I'm pretty sure this is an isolated incident related to the ACI surgery.

Continuing the Coumadin for 4 more months (for a total of 6 months) and will then do a doppler scan to confirm that the blood clot is gone.  PT/INR was tested on Friday and levels were therapeutic so will go back in a month for my next test.  Also still wearing the compression stocking to help minimize the swelling.

That's it for now.

Kim

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »
kimg--it is normal for the pt/inr results to vary.  the results can change depending on the amounts of water your drink and the foods you eat.  i am on coumadin daily for life and do not really like the fact of the monthly testing as can change every 3 days.  due to being on it for life i have my own testing machine which i use weekly.  just make sure you take it easy as will easily bruise and can seriously hurt yourself.  if you get those same pain feelings dont hesitate to contact your md.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression

Offline kimg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »
Thanks for the post - it's reassuring to hear from someone who's dealing with the same frustration.  I'm sorry to hear that you're on it for life.  I'm not thrilled with being tested monthly either since the results can fluctuate so much.  Question for you - will I know if it gets too high or too low in between tests?

Thanks again for the advice.

Take Care - kim 

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:30:17 AM »
usually there is no way to tell if your blood is too thick or too thin.    at times i can get a headache if too thick but it does not always correspond to my pt levels.   the best is to try not to change your diet too much.  hopefully they gave you a list of foods that change your levels -if not they can be found online.  it is foods that contain vitamin k.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression

Offline kimg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 05:40:34 PM »
Hello,

Not much new to post yet.  Seem to be holding steady.  Pitting edema is a little better but still there and lower leg still swells pretty good during the day.  Good news is in the mornings the swelling is gone so I have to think the clot is getting smaller.  Next PT/INR is this coming Friday - hoping the numbers are where they're supposed to be.

Have an appt with GP on 3/14.  Can't wait to get off the Coumadin!

kimg

Offline kimg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Well went for PT/INR check on Friday and was too low.  Increased dosage again and now I go back in two weeks for another check.  UGH!!!

Offline jpalen

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:19 AM »
Hi kimg
I had DVT and a PE on Nov 15. Woke up to what felt like a bruised rib. Pain got worse and difficulty breathing. I had been fitted with an external fixator, and my leg was immobile since October 3rd. I had a dirt bike accident and a TPF and was awaiting a surgery while my insurance was shopping for a cheaper surgeon.
My son drove me to a clinic at the urging of my doctor. While we were there getting chest x-rays and EKG I blacked out and went into convulsions. I was shipped to an ER by ambulance, and then spent 3 days in the hospital. The clots apparently blocked enough flow to affect brain supply. I've been on coumadin ever since and on occasion lovenox before and after surgery to remove the fixator. I have been out of work long enough that I have lost my job and insurance, but had been getting blood tests weekly. I had been stabilized to a fairly consistent 2.1 to 2.9. I cannot get the labs now due to cost so will be going onto a regimen of low dose aspirin twice a day.
The doc said I should keep this up 6 months to a year. The surgeon recommended for the rest of my life.
THe PE is a scary thing. I'm glad you came out OK and keep up with the blood thinners. Daily walks will help to move the blood and carry away the clot little by little.
TPF October 3, 2010
External Fixator Oct 4, 2010
Remove External Fixator Jan10, 2011
Insurance declines surgery.
Living with 2mm step in the tibial plateau.
Getting by.