Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need urgent help, please  (Read 2606 times)

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I need urgent help, please
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
I have posted in other areas, and also tried to help others I don't want to overuse this site.  If you read my posts you will know my history, eleven surgeries, failed t.k.r., now decidine between amputation and final reveision and salvage reconstruction scheduled for April 19.  The last two day's have been the worst in my life.  I was shot in Vietnam and it took seven hours to evacuate me to a field hospital, but my pain the last two day's is worse.  I am on 300 mg. extended relief morphine plus 15mg immediate relief 3x a day and it does not touch the pain.  My pain management say's he cannot increase the dosage due to other medical issues.  I live directly next to a jurisdiction, District of Columbia, Washington D.C> where medical marajusan is legal.  I have not done this stuff even in Vietnam but a few times in college.  I have tried to get admitted to hospital based pain management programs but they all have long waiting lists.  Honestly I cannot go on like this until April 19.  I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow and will virtually get down on one knee and beg them to get the surgery moved up to this or next week, I figure they must keep spots open for accident trauma surgery so maybe I can get them to do me earlier.  If not I really don't think I can hang in.  I do not want to put anyone in a situation of suggesting I use something that is not legal in many areas although in Washington D.C>, california and I believe five other states it is legal for medical purposes.  If any has any experience with ANY alternative pain relief that is not a scam please, please tell me.  I am far from a whimp, but I really do not know if I can make it three more weeks like this, I doubit it. Any suggestions please, I have tried accupuncture and that has not worked I also had epidurals with no relief from pain management doctors.

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: I need urgent help, please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:31 AM »
Hi Mountainknees

You are really in a desperate situation. I've read over some of your previous posts. Pain like you are experiencing sounds a lot like nerve pain. Nerve pain can be off the wall, never ending. Your pain might be from compressed nerves or neuromas where an epidural might not help. I might suggest one more doctor to see since you are in the Baltimore area. I saw a world reknown peripheral nerve surgeon for my nerve pain. I traveled all the way from Kansas to see him. His name is Dr Lee Dellon from the Dellon Institiute For Peripheral Nerve Surgery. He is located in Towson MD but does surgery in Baltimore. I had surgery at Union Memorial Hospital, next to John's Hopkins. Here is his website.    www.dellon.com

I hate to hear a person is contemplating amputation. Amputation is not without it's own problems. Dr Dellon knows nerve pain like no other. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having him examine your leg. 

Whatever decision you make, you must be at peace with.

Take care

Pam

4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:56:23 AM »
Thank you, I will be up all night as pain is too bad to sleep,  I also feel I have neuropoathic pain from all the surgeries, there nust be nerve damage,  I will call him in the morning and try to get to see him a.s.a.p.  My oldest sone lives in Pasadina Md, just fifteen minutes from Hopkins   and downtown Balti,more Hospial sections in fact my daughter in law is  a dyalasis nurse in Baltimore,  so I could stay with him ineed be,  Thank you and go bless you for your help.  It gives me a ray of hope just to have a new name. Bless you always, Mountainknees

Offline mountainknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
Dear mssmyknee,  Thank you   you may have struck GOLD for me.  Union Hospital is the same Hospital where the doctor who did the elective amputation  for Richard, the man that runs the amputation web sit works.  I just got off the phone there and they are trying to get me both appointments in one day.  Hopefully next week, so I will have time to decide.  The hospital I will have the present surgery in, if I go through with it is in Hagerstown, Md. I am seweing a Dr. Savagno and Dr. Ledbetter and Rothen.  Dr. Ledbetter just retired from Hopkins after 30 years and is nrw in the practice.  While he no longer does surgery he serves as an advisor to Savango and Rothen.  I am on my way to Hagerstown Maryland in a half hour, my friend is picking me up soon.  I hope I will have a call back from Union Hospoital when I get home.  I am going to have to be very blunt with these surgeons and ask directly why they think the surgery thet suggest will be helpful.  If they sing and dance, I will simply cancel and wheel myself away,  I was going to say walk out but I can't do that.  Thank you so much.  At union I can see both the nerve doctor and the one who seems to understand the reasons for elective amputation.  I am, sure they know one another so this could be a great match.  By the way, I hope you are doing well, there are many others out there in pain also.
I have to go now.  I will follow uip later.  Mountainknees

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:50 PM »
How did it go?  Did you get help?

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA