Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worried about having to have surgery- how do others feel?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline greenlexie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worried about having to have surgery- how do others feel?
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
After visiting my OS last week.... I been spending the weekend processing the fact that I am going to need to have surgery.
My story is known by some who have followed my progress since my fateful injury.
So I had multiple tears(ACL,LCL,MCL) and a complete rupture of the PCL. My LCL and MCL have mange to repair themselves :D which is brilliant...

But due to the fact that my leg keeps popping back and I'm very unstable on my leg with out my brace. I almost dislocated my leg again when the OS wanted me to stand so he could examine  the difference in my knees. He has decided that he will do an operation on my knee but he wants me to do 10 weeks of Physio first to see if I can strengthen the muscles around it  my leg and stabiles it abit. Then at that point he is going to decided what surgery will need doing.

I'm wondering how people feel about being told that they will have to have surgery? Especially after trying to go down the less evasive routes, like lots of physio and strengthening of the muscles??

I'm just feeling a bit lost and scared? and feel my parents don't seem to understand my worries and keep telling me to deal with what life throws at you :(
23/12/2010- tripped and fully dislocated my knee and ruptured PCl and torn the other ligaments
today- in a knee brace with no idea
my blog-http://thingsthatchangeyourlife.blogspot.com/

Offline mcmurrow

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Worried about having to have surgery- how do others feel?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »
I completely understand your worries as most everyone here can. Surgery is not easy and can be scary!  I am now 3 weeks today post op on surgery number 7. I have patella issues with recurrent subluxations. Physio before surgery can be very good as surgery depletes muscle strength. So, the stronger you are before, the better off you can be after. Just keep your head up and stay positive. 6 months to a year recovery is sometimes way worth a knee that is hurting and dislocating lots in the end!  I just look forward to maybe being able to run and ride a bike with my kiddos!  Make a goal for the future and look towards it. Sometimes that helps!  Best of luck! 

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
Surgery is a huge thing and it is normal to be nervous. Honestly the whole hospital and surgery thing don't bother me, its the recovery process after is hard. But, once the initial surgery pain goes away it seems pretty easy. I have lots of experience with hospitals and surgery, 34 surgeries to be exact.(most amputations, skin graphs, and 2 knee surgerys) I had most of my surgeries when I was younger, so these last 2 were a little scary. When you get to the hospital they will have you check in and then take you to a room and get you all ready and once they put the IV in you won't care what happens for a while. They drugged me about 30 mins. before surgery and I got there about a hour before. Once. you wake up they give you more drugs and then send you home once your awake and doing good. Thats arthoscopy though, not sure what your having.  I think the strenghtening before surgery is a good idea, my muscles really wasted after surgery I think if I had been stronger before it wouldn't be so hard now. Good Luck and try not to woryy, everything will be fine!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline greenlexie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »
Wow... you sound experienced compared to me
I have never had any major surgry, the closest thing I got is having gromits fitted at 5.... So you can see why I'm a bit worried.
But thanks for your advice, scared is understatment and no one seems to be listening at home to how all this has made me feel,
I know the strenthening will be good for my leg, straight after my accident I was in a full leg cast for 6 weeks and i lost alot of strength and muscle in my leg, so I know it will do me a lot of good.
I need to have some kind of PCL surgery as I've got a complete rupture of the ligament, which is now resulting that without my brace on my leg will go further back than my straight leg. And it might not work or I could have major complications which is worrying me just as much :(.
But I know I can get there... I got this far :D
Thanks for your advice and help
23/12/2010- tripped and fully dislocated my knee and ruptured PCl and torn the other ligaments

Juneau

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
If you live in the US, there is a great CD that can help you to prepare yourself for surgery. It teaches you how to relax and visualize yourself being all healthy again. I have used it for another type of surgery several years ago and also for my two knee surgeries. It takes just 25 Minutes to listen to and I also use it when I can't sleep because I am worried about something. I have bought several copies and given them to my friends when they needed it.

Here is the site from the author:
http://www.healfaster.com/

You can also buy the CD at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Prepare-Surgery-Heal-Faster-Techniques/dp/0964575744

If you can't get the CD just take some deep breath and relax! It's going to be all fine!
Good Luck!

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
Hi,
After I dislocated my knee I didn't have any time to think about surgery as my knee wouldn't go back in,
I was in surgery within 3hrs to relocate my knee, and had 2 ligaments repaired and meniscus removal then.
I came round in a full legnth brace locked @ 30dgs & facing a uncertain future.
I was very nervous about my next ligament surgery
As I had 6months to think about it.
Looking back now it was worth all the rehab & setbacks to get my life back.
Try and get your muscles built up as it reall does make a big diff'
After surgery, after 6wks in a locked brace I had major instability issues and found it hard to rehab before my next surgery,
look @ this as your 1st steps to getting your knee & life back.
Good luck BD
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline CamillaLuise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »
Hi there!

I have always felt quite bad because when I heard a month ago I'll be having surgery  ( april 14th)I thought JIPPEY! Lol but this is because I've been in pain for 14 years and I've been in stricktly physiotherapy for 10 of those as new OSs and doctors would always think their physios were better... so if I were you and these ten weeks does not work as well as  it could, then do the surgery now and get it over with and have lots of time for rehab! But good luck with physio and let us know how it goes!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:26:19 PM by CamillaLuise »
TTT and lateral release 15th April 2011 in London, UCLH
LR was not done when he was in there as he wanted me walking quicker rather than non weight bearing with an LR. He proposed he might do it later if there was still a lot of scar tissue.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
surgery's always a daunting prospect... but look at it from this perspective... look at what you can't do now... and think about a year after the surgery, and being able to walk on your own, just to take a stroll around the park, and see the trees, and not have to worry if you're gonna fall on your nose! Start with small things, and work from there.

the idea is to focus on getting your life back, and to try and stay positive. it's no fun now, and it's miserable. It sucks being dependent on others for things you were able to do for yourself, and the goal is to get back to that, so there's  where your focus lies.

Meanwhile, get some sedentary hobbies, and keep busy. Put all the effort you can in to the physio, and do as much as you can to get back on your feet. Remember that there's a line between discomfort and pain in physio, and discomfort means working toward progress, while pain means you've gone too far. So, establish with your physio the difference between the two, so you don't make things worse, and do the best you can to help work towards making your surgery a success.

Wishing you the best, keep your chin up!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
I'm sure that most people reading your post will sympathise with you on this one.  The prospect of surgery can be a bit of a worry. My 16 year old son was shaking with fear when his surgery date for his acl reconstruction was confirmed. But I have to say on the actual day he was very calm and ok with it, he had never had an operation before and when he came out of the recovery room he was thumbs up and smiling, I am sure you will be too  :) 

I always say to my children that there is no point in wasting all that energy and emotion worrying about things you cannot change.

As has been said, keep thinking about the outcome, you need to have this surgery to get back to the life you enjoy. We are so blessed to live in this day and age when we are not being experimented on during surgery but are benefitting of all the years of people having experimental surgery so that we can now reap the benfits. Keep positive and keep the end picture in sight, a healthy you back to doing all the things you love.

I do hope your parents will read up on the surgery and aftercare you will need post op. I don't know how old you are but you sound like you need their imput at this stage, especially if you are studying.  Hoping all goes well with you. :) :) :) :) :)
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
greenlexie, your mother is sort of right in that you need to deal with what life throws at you. Sure it's a daunting prospect, but if you need it, and your life is being hindered because of the current state of your knee, then what else can you do? There's no point in stressing about things you can't change.

As for me, I was so busy leading up to my surgery that I didn't really have time to think of it all that much. I was interviewing for residency, and I actually was at an interview about 3.5 hours from home the day before my surgery. I got home around 8 pm the day before my surgery, and was at the hospital at 6 am the next morning, so exhausted that I didn't care what they did to me. Just keep a positive outlook and remember what sorts of things you will be able to do after the surgery that you can't do now.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline keane16

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Hi, I think it would be a very unique individual who wouldn't be worried about their first surgery.  I was really scared before mine which took place a few days ago.  It didnt quite go to plan but I'm already thinking about the next one.

I dislocated my knee resulting in a ruptured ACL.  I love playing football and for me the deciding factor was simply that I want to get back to competitive sport and if I have to have surgery then thats the way.

People on here are very helpful and the decision is yours - my advice is strengthen your leg as much as possible and then to go for it.

Offline greenlexie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
Thanks all so much, sometimes it's just nice to actually realise your no alone.
I've know people go through how I'm feeling but there's a difference in just knowing and dealing there actually there :D.

I have learnt over the last 3 months alot about myself that I would have never learnt any other way. Including not to keep complaining about all the things I use to do. My parents are right I have to live with this now, but I just want some compassion and just for them to tell me I'm going to be ok or listen to my concerns about surgery, instead of grow up and deal with it, which is what I get.

I know I need the surgery as my leg is really unstable without my brace and I'm looking forward to after all the rehabilitation and possibly getting back some of my dreams.

I'm 21, me and my partner were suppose to be moving in together a week ago but due to my leg, I can't :(. So I'm looking forward to being able to get this back after my surgery and rehab (altho I know this is a long time off now)

Thanks for your support everyone  ;D

Offline mamalama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 07:31:15 PM »
Hello, maybe you want to try to relax before you surgery.  i know it is alot to worry about, but just take it one step a time and you be doing better. Try a massage to help relax you and it also helps with the healing process. also to destress, i always get a pedicure.  those hot stones feel great on your lower legs..... hope this helps... take care.

MAMALAMA