Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy or half knee replacement?  (Read 29074 times)

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: High Tibial Osteotomy or half knee replacement?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi Kevin3004

Mike has a post op diary on here,

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=56935.0

which I followed to see how he got on, but have actually met up with Mike and Alan, who has also had a HTO, where we discussed all our options and Alans experience. Mike had his HTO back in August and seems to be recovering well, and when I last saw him was very impressed by the way he was walking. I have since had a HTO open wedge myself and am about 26 days post op. I found that by finding out as much as I could before hand, I went into the op with as much knowledge as possible.

I am keeping a post op diary as well.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

So far I would recommend it, as you keep all your own bits and at 49 I was told I was too young to have a knee replacement. Not all areas of the UK offer the HTO, so it is now an operation that is coming back into fashion. I was lucky to have the OS who features on KG with his article on Osteotomy in the information section.

If you want to ask any questions, please email me.

WD

Offline kevin3004

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:05:21 PM »
Hi Kevin3004

Mike has a post op diary on here,

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=56935.0

which I followed to see how he got on, but have actually met up with Mike and Alan, who has also had a HTO, where we discussed all our options and Alans experience. Mike had his HTO back in August and seems to be recovering well, and when I last saw him was very impressed by the way he was walking. I have since had a HTO open wedge myself and am about 26 days post op. I found that by finding out as much as I could before hand, I went into the op with as much knowledge as possible.

I am keeping a post op diary as well.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

So far I would recommend it, as you keep all your own bits and at 49 I was told I was too young to have a knee replacement. Not all areas of the UK offer the HTO, so it is now an operation that is coming back into fashion. I was lucky to have the OS who features on KG with his article on Osteotomy in the information section.

If you want to ask any questions, please email me.

WD

Thanks WD, I see my OS next Tuesday so I will let you know how that discussion goes.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
good luck with your decision kevin
i am also in the HTO club and am on waiting list for another HTO on my left leg ,in my case
its a no brainer 1st op and recovery have gone well for me
HTO is buying me time and also evening out wear on my joints as i have bowed legs
so when i do have knees replaced i should have even wear
any questions please feel free to message me
regards
Alan

Offline goonerbryan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
hi mike,
           l'm at recovering from my second HTO,had my left one done 2 years ago,non weighting for 2 weeks off work for 5 months[HGV delivery driver],it seems to have done the for know.my right leg the recovery seems alot more painful and slower,this time l was non weight bearing for 6 weeks watch seems to have made the muscle,hamstring etc alot weaker.Still getting alot of pain at the side of the knee watch is no where near where the pins and plate are,would be gutted if the op hasn't worked.Thinking he should have gone for the PKR.
                                      Bryan

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »
Still getting alot of pain at the side of the knee watch is no where near where the pins and plate are,would be gutted if the op hasn't worked.

Bryan,
How are you doing?  Unfortunately, even though it was still an HTO, each leg will recover differently.  I've also had 2 HTO's and in terms of recovery, they were totally different - it was as though I had had two different types of surgeries.  The second one (right leg) took alot longer to heal. I definitely have had more pain in my right leg as well.  It has gotten to the point where I can't really walk long distances comfortably (like I used to) since the medial side of my knees really bother me - especially if I walk on any type of incline.

I've got an appointment with another OS next month, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Hopefully your pain will subside soon..  Hang in there!