Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tendons and movement udner the kneecap  (Read 5454 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Tendons and movement udner the kneecap
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has this?

When I sit with my heel on the floor I can press down on my patella nd it goes down but not so much on the other leg.  If I put my hand on the top of it and move my foot then I can feel a funny kind of movement under the kneecap.  My pt said it was due to tendons, not fluid but recently it is doing it a lot more and I can feel the movemtn when my hand isn't even on the patella and If I sit there with my leg partially bent at about 40 degrees and my heel on the floor then the tendons creak like made and the kneecap seems to actually move a bit.  It feels a lot like acreaky floorboard.

I'm a bit worried about it because I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my tendons or if I'm going to have a dislocation as a result.  It hasn't afected my walking and it doesn't hurt but it does feel strange a worrying.

I havn't been able to find much information about this on the net so I would really apreciate any light that anyone could she on the subject/

Thanks in advance.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Tendons and movement udner the kneecap
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
Come on guys I can't be the only one to experience this.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
Your kneecap is meant to move. Its a sesamoid bone - it kind of floats. Start worrying when it doesn't move.  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
I know but not on itse own

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
Its not creptus your feeling is it? Creptus is the wear of cartilage under your knee cap and it can be felt as a creaking in the knee. Mine does it all the time, if I move my foot up and down it will feel like rubber bands under my knee cap and grinds a little. My os said it was creptus and had nothing to do with tendons.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »
Does yours feel like a creaky floorboard if you press it down and do you only feel it when aprtially bent, not straight or at 90 degrees?

it could be creptius but I've had the feeling for a while and the pt's usually say it is tendons since the ankle and knee are connected by tendons and my achiless tendon is very tight.  Could this be somthing to do with it?

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
Creaky floorboard describes my knee well. But, I also have tight tendons I guess, my hamstring is tight and my patellar tendon is hard and so is the fat pad. I am not able to fully starighten so yes my knee is bent a little when I feel it, and I can press a little and it will feel like it is grating against something but when I move my ankle in like a ankle pump fashion I get the creaky floor sensation.
Right leg amputee.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Question about crepituas:

I know that the bones grind together and the cartliage wears away very fast but does it reuslt from there being too much synovial fluid or not enough.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »
Crepitus doesn't just occur because of a lack of synovial fluid, but in joints with crepitus due to cartilage changes (for whatever reason...) there is usually a general loss of lubrication. Hence why visco injections such as Euflexx and Synvisc aim to replace the missing fluid and help the surfaces glide more smoothly.
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
The way I understand it is that the more you move your joints the more healthy fluid is generated, and people who are arthirtic in places don't move the joint enough and therefore there is less fluid. Also the fluid can be more acidic and unnatural to the joint and cause more damage. But, you can also swell and have so much edema that it can irritate the knee as well, which causes another cascade of issues, thats why they say ice, ice, ice. But, yes you can feel creptus as fluid under knee cap and the grinding against the rougher bone surfaces. Have you ever tried a visco supplement like Lottie suggested? It didn't work for me but lots of people get relief for up to a year sometimes.
Right leg amputee.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
Euflexxa looks promising so I'm going to find out more about it before actually cosnidering the stuff.

Also, the creaking feeling is in my foot and ankle, so I'm getting a pt to check it out as it might still just be the teondons, it might not be crepitus.  I've had this feeling before and people have said it isn't crepitus so something might be going on with the tendons.  Because I don't think my foot is arthritic.

Offline mil1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 07:34:38 AM »
Did you ever find out what this was?

support